6mm-06 AI Need help

windy state

Guys I need some help. I have a 6mm-06AI built three years ago and loved it. I was shooting 95gr berger vld. They shot 5/8" at 100yrds going 3710fps.This set up has taken elk at 70yrds and Antelope past 500yrds. Last summer my niece was shooting it getting read for big Antelope hunt(she thinks it is her gun,she has killed more animals withit then me)and she couldnt hit anything past 200yrds. I shot it on paper to show her that it was her not the gun. It shot a 2.5" group@100yrds. I cleaned it again dont think it was fauled. Shot it again 2.5" group again. The gun has only been shot 250 times.
Things that I have done to try to figure it out.
1.checked to make sure barrel is still free floated
2.Have tried 3 scopes
3.Had gun smith check the crown,and made sure everything is true still.
4. I have tried differnt loads and the best I have been able to get is 1.5" at 100yrds.
5. The gunsmith wants me to eneal my cases.(have not tried that.I have never done that and heard you need to know what you are doing.)
What else do you think I should do?

Try fireforming new brass and see how the accuracy is. Ive never had much luck with annealing brass, I just buy new brass when they get brittle.

Are you using 2506 brass?
Are your trim lengths ok and concentric?
What action? if its a remington, might be the bedding, if its a Savage, make sure the rear tang is floated. Check the torx on the action bolts.
Are you turning the necks? Are they concentric?
Can you have the barrel scoped? Maybe something wrong there? Try scrubbibng the bore with USP bore paste ot JB bore paste.
Are you using moly? Moly left in a stainless barrel can pit the barrel.

Yes im using 2506 brass and the lengh is ok. I have new brass and same problem. Im not turning the necks and it is a remington and the action is glassed bedded. The screws are tight. They are not moly bullets. I have used lots of differnt bore cleaners. What do you think about the Montana bore paste.I have tried that.

I used wipe out acc. & patch out along with carbon out. Let it sit with acc. & patch out for a day or so. I did that and I got carbon out of my barrel that I never could before.
Also, I screwed up a gun one time by leaving cr10 in the barrel too long. Improper cleaning methods when I started, [no bore guide, cleaning from muzzle] really taught me a lesson.

I checked out the stock and its not soft.Im going to take it all apart again make sure everything is good and start over again on a load.

Did the smith check out the throat and Bore for erosion? Is there a bend/warp in the barrel?

How hot have you gotten the barrel at any time... I smoked a 300 savage barrel once not thinking. Was trying to get a load to shoot, and before I knew it, I burnt my fingers on the barrel...

Looks like you have a long list of things to check..

Good luck..

I have a 6mm06AI and pac nor said they have rebarreled several rifles for this chambering and shelf life on the barrels is only around 350tops for rd count. This is just what they said, so I am going to see for myself but I don't think they would feed a guy full of pigeon poop. HAPPY HUNTING

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ruger243223I have a 6mm06AI and pac nor said they have rebarreled several rifles for this chambering and shelf life on the barrels is only around 350tops for rd count. This is just what they said, so I am going to see for myself but I don't think they would feed a guy full of pigeon poop. HAPPY HUNTING

Yeah, I'd say they're not just feeding pigeon poop, they're using a #5 coal shovel as a spoon

What kind of barrel do you have? I am having a catbird built. I hope like [beeep] I get more then 250 out of it.
Try another load. You should have one for a back up.

After shooting, you probably forgot to set the rifle in the rack, barrel down so that the rifling could drain out evenly
grin.gif

Seriously, I'll bet you have a problem with the barrel not free floating or action screw torque.

Last edited:
the Montana bore paste is good stuff, good as JB.

As you shoot the rifle, the leade grows, have you seated the bullets out to accomodate leade wear?

Have you changed lot# of powder? Some lots will shoot very well, get a new jug...load goes to heck.

Back