25 STW AKA 25 Hot Tamale

Redtail204

I have been wanting to build a 25STW for awhile now for use as a whitetail rifle. I will use mainly 100gr bullets not looking to go heavier.

Dose anyone use a rifle in this chamber, and what kind of velocities are you getting?

Looking forward to your input.
Thanks

Last edited:
Looks like the boys over at reloaders nest are getting from 3800-4000+ fps.

http://www.reloadersnest.com/query_bw.asp?CaliberID=239&BulletWeight=100

Better make every shot count, at 80+ gr. per round being pushed through a .257 hole, barrel life will be brief.

In doing a quick bit of reading on the round, it seems that the guys that care anything about barrel and brass life are backing down to the 3700-3800 fps range.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/257-hot-tamale-aka-25-7mmstw-31859/

If you are going to do that, you had just as well get a 25-06 AI and save nearly 20 gr. of powder per round.

Last edited:
Although Mr. Ferguson claims he is a master gunsmith and builds these rifles, they are actually built by a gunsmith friend of mine here in Okla. and shipped to Texas. He says he doesn't mind as long as he gets paid.

Originally Posted By: BrentWinLooks like the boys over at reloaders nest are getting from 3800-4000+ fps.

http://www.reloadersnest.com/query_bw.asp?CaliberID=239&BulletWeight=100

Better make every shot count, at 80+ gr. per round being pushed through a .257 hole, barrel life will be brief.

In doing a quick bit of reading on the round, it seems that the guys that care anything about barrel and brass life are backing down to the 3700-3800 fps range.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/257-hot-tamale-aka-25-7mmstw-31859/

If you are going to do that, you had just as well get a 25-06 AI and save nearly 20 gr. of powder per round.

Brent,

Thank you for the links a lot of good reading and data on the cartridge. I just killed an hour reading all the links and related links you posted!!!! But now I have a lot better understanding of the 25 STW and it's capability's.

Thanks again!

No problem.

We all have different wants and needs as far as rifles go. If you want the fastest 25 going, then have at it with the 257 STW.

For me, the 25-06 AI makes more sense. It is fast and wildcat cool, but still has reasonable efficiancy. Below are sample loads for each to show my reasoning. These are all shot with 26" barrels. I am showing the 25-06 as a baseline.

25-06 Rem.100gr 56gr. RL22 3300 FPS (1)

25-06 AI 100gr. 61.5gr RL22 3650 FPS (1)

257 Wby 100gr. 74 gr. RL22 3700 FPS (2)

257 STW 100gr. 80 gr. RL25 3800 FPS (3)

257 STW 100gr. 86 gr RL25 4225 FPS (4)

25-06 vs 25-06AI +9% powder +10% Velocity
25-06 vs 257 Wby. +24% powder +11% Velocity (amended)
25-06 vs 257 STW (3) +30% powder +13% Velocity
25-06 vs 257 STW (4) +35% powder +22% Velocity

(1) Based on my own load data. Comparable data on Reloadersnest (RN)

(2) Based on Nitis's reported velocity and coresponding RN data

(3) Based on RN data at the recommended 3800 FPS max velocity, for barrel and brass life.

(4) Based on the hottest load on RN

Good, better and best are subjective terms that only you can answer, but in terms of effciency the data tells the story.

Last edited:
No doubt about the 25STW is a blazer alright..I was wondering although how is it on barrels, seems to me that that's alot of powder going down a quarter bore... I was wondering also how much leade in thousandths do you give it in front of the bullet, also have you ever bore scoped the barrel and have you ever noticed when the spider cracking started to occur, how many shots..I see just about everything on the line being the range master for a hog match in the east and it very very very rare that any .25 cal in either custom or factory sits at the line..I've seen many a 25BR and 25PPC but neither was very competitive and most said it's because of the lack of great benchrest quality bullets..I would imagine at those speed with bullets that lightly constructed you'd do some serious damage to any varmint at just about any range...

Originally Posted By: BrentWinNo problem.

We all have different wants and needs as far as rifles go. If you want the fastest 25 going, then have at it with the 257 STW.

For me, the 25-06 AI makes more sense. It is fast and wildcat cool, but still has reasonable efficiancy. Below are sample loads for each to show my reasoning. These are all shot with 26" barrels. I am showing the 25-06 as a baseline.

25-06 Rem.100gr 56gr. RL22 3300 FPS (1)

25-06 AI 100gr. 61.5gr RL22 3650 FPS (1)

257 Wby 100gr. 73 gr. RL22 3600 FPS (2)

257 STW 100gr. 80 gr. RL25 3800 FPS (3)

257 STW 100gr. 86 gr RL25 4225 FPS (4)

25-06 vs 25-06AI +9% powder +10% Velocity
25-06 vs 257 Wby. +23% powder +8% Velocity
25-06 vs 257 STW (3) +30% powder +13% Velocity
25-06 vs 257 STW (4) +35% powder +22% Velocity

(1) Based on my own load data. Comparable data on Reloadersnest (RN)

(2) Based on WBY published velocity and coresponding RN data

(3) Based on RN data at the recommended 3800 FPS max velocity, for barrel and brass life.

(4) Based on the hottest load on RN

Good, better and best are subjective terms that only you can answer, but in terms of efficiency the data tells the story.

Ok the 257 stw is bad a$$ no doubt about it

the 25.06AI I have a great deal of respect for

but you are short changing the wby as I know it will get at least 3700 from a 26" barrel I have seen it on my chronograph

Ok maybe powder efficiency is good with the AI but are you counting the powder burnt in fireforming?

I wanted the 257 stw something fierce for a long time but settled for the bee. I think I could still build and stw one day but it will be a 6.5 if I do

Originally Posted By: nitis
Ok maybe powder efficiency is good with the AI but are you counting the powder burnt in fireforming?

No, because I call that pratice, which you should be doing with any caliber rifle.

BTW straight 25-06 loads are just as accurate thru my AI as my AI loads, just slower.

Last edited:
I dont consider it practice if you are not using a full load

If I could buy AI brass for teh 25 I would own one but I cant why dont you practice some more and send me the brass

Originally Posted By: nitis
but you are short changing the wby as I know it will get at least 3700 from a 26" barrel I have seen it on my chronograph

I wanted the 257 stw something fierce for a long time but settled for the bee. I think I could still build and stw one day but it will be a 6.5 if I do

I ammended my data to reflect 3700 fps for the Roy, doesn't change much

At $1.00 a pc. difference in brass price versus the Roy or $1.75 a pc diffence for 257 STW brass, I am well compensated for my material and time fire forming.

As for practice with straight 25-06 loads, it just takes a different cheater card. The basics of consistant mount, breathing, trigger control and reading of the wind don't change a bit.

As I said in my first post, if you want the fastest 25 going, have at it with the 257 STW. Some guys like speed, for speed's sake and there is nothing wrong with that. I just wanted to provide some data showing that speed has its price.

Go buy, build what you want and have a blast with it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nitisdont forget that you can make 257 bee brass from 7mag brass for a lot less money than buying wby brass

But because Wby uses a double radius shoulder and to eliminate runout from necking down, it will have to be fire formed.
tt2.gif

Last edited:
I dis agree I ran mine through a sizer die and aside from a little shorter neck you cant tell any difference tehy may shape a little bit with fireforming but the double radius is there

Originally Posted By: nitisI dis agree I ran mine through a sizer die and aside from a little shorter neck you cant tell any difference tehy may shape a little bit with fireforming but the double radius is there

+1...Run it through the FL die and your GTG!

I have a pile of .270 win that I bought for 10 cents a piece and in the process of being converted to .25-06.

You'll never touch that with a Roy or a STW.

I could AI those cases just as easy as not.

I think that I would consider a 6.5 STW as well before I would go for a .25 version.

Three 44s

Last edited:
Go with the 257 STW! I've had 3 everytime I get one built a buddy has to have it. I've been going with Rem 700 action, Lilja Barrel. McMillan stock, Jewell trigger, and Leupold 6.5x20 scopes. I'm using 85 grain nosler B.T. and love them, but am trying Barnes 80 gr tipped now, they seem to take a little work in developing the right load, but once that "sweet Spot" is found you have a killing machine that is really fast, usually groups that touch, and vel. over 4100 fps. Don't worry 'bout barrel life, if you shoot enough to wear out the barrel from non-neglect you probably shoot more than most and are fortunate. Just replace it and let the games begin, again...I have not had accuracy issues and absolutly love the caliber.. My 257 WM out shoots my 25-06 by large enough margins you can tell with the naked eye, same goes for the 257STW over the WM.

Back