my pattern pics @ 40 yards

How big is that circle and how many pellets do you have inside? There is a way of comparing patterns for turkey hunters just like rifle guys compare size of groups to the 1" mark. The standard of measurement for turkey hunters is a 10" circle at a measured 40 yards. Any load that puts more than 100 pellets in that 10" circle at 40 yards to point of aim is deemed at least an adequate turkey slayer at that range. Anything over 150 strikes is a very good combination. The Gold Medal guns, chokes, and loads bust over 200 pellet strikes in the circle. This comparison is for 12 gauge 3" guns with standard size #4, #5, and #6 shot. Lead shot usually won't make the numbers that denser than lead stuff like Hevi 13 does.

its a 10" circle i think only 80 pellets hit it.http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/images/icons/default/blush.gif
but its all i have to work with and i don't like hevi-shot
my next load would be x123mt5 winchesters it's copperplated and buffered lol.Or i could move up to 3.5" 12 ga i have but need a barrel for it first .

That is not a bad pattern. I would try another brand. I got more hits on a Turkey target with cheap field loads than with 3" Federal Turkey loads with 6 shot.

A good gun and choke with #6 or 7 will put you over 225, and some have shot 400 plus with #7 nitro's. What gun are you shooting? Nitro's or Hevi shot will give you the most hits, and most killing distance.

TK,
You'll kill a gobbler but you are a little thin at 40 yards. Just for comparison my wife's 20 gauge with 3" Hevi Shot turkey loads of #5's averages 117 and my 3" 12 gauge with Hevi 13 #6's consistently does over 200 with a best target of 230 hits. I put that out there just for a yardstick for you if it matters any. But you can kill gobblers dead at 40 yards with your rig, but that would be my max range and I'd try to pull them a little closer if I could.

yeah i wanted to move to a heavier load 2 oz but it was recommended to me by someone who knows more about turkey hunting than i do .He told me that faster loads pattern better out of tighter chokes at least Winchesters anyway .

TK,
When I was using lead that 12 gauge 3" Winchester Supreme 1 3/4 ounce #5 High Velocity load was exactly what I used. It outshot all other lead loads I tried and killed turkeys dead as a sack of hammers. But I was getting around 140 something pellets in the 10" circle at 40 yards. My choke was a Kick's Gobblin' Thunder .660" constriction. Your .650" choke seems pretty tight to me for #5's. What gun are you shooting? Inside barrel diameter plays a part in the puzzle too. Something else, usually very, very, clean barrels pattern better than dirty bores do.

Back