pentax scopes

kycountryboy

saw a 4.5x14 on ebay and it said that if was almost like a burris fulfield anyone have any experience with them? are they any good, thinking of getting one for my savage 204

*almost* being the key word. The Ford Pinto was almost like a Lincoln Town car. They both had four tires.

There are a lot of things that are *almost* like other things in one way or another.

A Pentax ain't no Burris. On the other hand, the latest Burris scopes I've seen made in Taiwan are almost like a Pentax. I've heard they are both made in the same factory.

IMO, The newer Burris scopes suck compared to the older ones made in the USA.

I have a couple of the Pentax scopes on some 22 rimfires. I'm fairly satisfied with them for those rifles.

Last edited:
I have a couple of the Pentax Pioneers that I picked up at a great price, and I also have a Burris fullfield II..........the finish on the Pentax is not as nice as the Burris, other than that they seem to be identical.

The first generation Pentax Pioneers were, by all reports, made in the same Phillippino factory as the Burris FFIIs. My brother has one and I cannot tell the difference between it and my FFII. They're the same right down to the same "Made in Phillippines" sticker on the bottom. Those scopes have been discontinued, though some are still for sale. The new Pioneer 2 (or whatever) is made in China and isn't in the same league as the previous generation.

Hey fellas,

I took a chance on one of the new Pentax Pioneer II 4.5-14X42 scopes...supposedly the Fullfield II clone. They say now made in China...after extensive research for another nice/economy(ish) scope...I almost bought Monarch off eBay...Then I checked my email...
CameraLand had a ShotShow special (from Pentax to get some penetration )...I was emailed about and spoke to Doug about them...$139.95 !!!!!( about half price !! )
I have 4200's and FF II's I love...how bad could it be???
I already have a 6X fixed Gameseeker that shocked me how nice for the price( clear/lite weight/bright/cute-works )
I'll write with report when she arrives...

I just got a used Pentax Gameseeker from a member at this site.
I have not mounted it yet(just got it yesterday actualy) but I checked it out last night as the sun was setting.
For what it is (China scope) it seems quite clear. This model came with their version of a drop compensation reticle which we will not realy put to use. It is going on a rimfire rifle for my son and I just wanted some decent glass for it.

I would in no way buy a cheap China scope for a premium rifle. That just makes zero sense to me. Why buy an expensive rifle and top it off with garbage.

I bought one of the Burris Fullfield's when they first came out and put it on a Savage 30-06. It works fine for all intents and purposes. I can 'kill' a milk jug at 400yds with it. Good enough for me.

If a drop compensation scope is what you are looking for you need to look at the Pride Fowler rapid reticle scopes. They are a first focal plane optic and the glass is extremely clear.I have one on my AR10 and it is flat out fantastic.

Ky, you are pointed in the right direction for sure. I have found some realy good deals on used premium optics. If I do not have the scratch to buy what i want or need new then I always look for a deal on used ones.You may be suprised at what you find if you look hard enough.
I would not put a cheaper grade scope on a nice rifle like a Savage in .204.

I have been using a Pentax Gameseeker 4-12 I got cheap on an AR Hbar. 500rds thru it so far with no problems. Is much clearer than the other cheap scopes I have used in the past and the clicks are positive and seem repeatable.
For something with more recoil, I would get a Nikon Buckmaster or Monarch.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamThe first generation Pentax Pioneers were, by all reports, made in the same Phillippino factory as the Burris FFIIs. My brother has one and I cannot tell the difference between it and my FFII. They're the same right down to the same "Made in Phillippines" sticker on the bottom. Those scopes have been discontinued, though some are still for sale. The new Pioneer 2 (or whatever) is made in China and isn't in the same league as the previous generation.

I have one of these as well (4.5x14x42) and could not tell the diff in a side by side comparison with a Burris FFII. I bought it when Cameraland had these on close out for about $150. It is a great scope for the $$. I do realize the new Pentax Pioneer II is made in China so who knows how well it will compare. I did read Doug from Camerland's newsletter update from the Shot show and he had a lot of good things to say about Pentax putting more effort into their hunting line of products. I am not affiliated in any way, bla bla...

From Doug's newsletter:

Then there is the Pentax story. The head office in Japan for the past couple of years has been doing this, that and the other thing. The one thing they have not been doing, IMO, is staying on top of their product line or showing the proper interest in it. They have let key players go over the past few years, which quite honestly has upset me. In the past year they let go the remaining players that have been with the company here in the USA for an excess of 25 years. This too upset me greatly. This left hardly anyone to handle the Sports Optics operation. The new guys came in and IMO did nothing. OH well, yet another quality company killing themselves. We took every opportunity over the last couple of years to snatch up deals from them as they had no clue what was what. This has enabled us to offer their Gameseeker Optics Outfit @ only $134.99 and their line of Gameseeker Riflescopes way below value.
I had a frank discussion with the new regime during SHOT about what the heck is going on over there. From an optics point of view their quality has always been there, however, if you have nobody at the helm the boat is not going anywhere and they have abandoned the helm the last year or two. Nothing new in their product line that was of much interest..... just stagnant (Exciting right?) So I asked them what the deal was and I was very pleased with their response. First, and to me very significant, came the agreement that the company has dropped the ball and has been doing little if anything as far as direction. They did not attempt a storied excuse (which is what I expected) I HATE excuses, as mostly they are meaningless. Then came what I really wanted to hear but did not expect...."We are committed to Sports Optics and will no longer treat that division as a step child". They are on board and want to be a major player again. We discussed many ideas and will be working together to move Pentax forward. They have the quality of optics and years of experience making great products and now they have the right attitude to proceed.
To get some product flowing they have agreed to allow us to offer their Pioneer II series Riflescopes at a nice savings. These used to be made for them by Burris in the Phillipines and was a direct copy of the Burris FFII. Now they make these themselves in China (yes, China. Get over it. China is where the majority of consumer goods are coming from and will continue to. Think about the reaction your father and grand father had when it originally said made in Japan. No, not every product coming out of China is great quality, but these scopes are.) same scope but now generation II.
#89730 3-9x40mm Plex @ $129.99
#89731 4.5-14x42mm Plex @ $139.99
IMO, for these prices this scope cannot be bested. This is a limited supply offer to get some scopes out their in an effort to promote Pentax.
We also acquired some of their PF 63 Spotting Scopes on close out that we are offering @ $199.99 reduced from $349.00. This is a nice scope and better than anything else in this price class.
They also have a couple of new very inexpensive Dot sights.
I really think the new guys in charge want to remake the company. Time will tell but for now Camera Land is on board and wants to see them succeed. They offer a fantastic warranty and do have some great products. Let's give them the chance to succeed.
For additional savings please see our Pentax Demo Page.

I would check out one of the new Redfields. I just looked at one of the 3-9x40's at the gun shop, and it was very NICE! For the money I don't think you will beat them. I will be looking at the higher power version when I need another scope.

kevlars

I guess this one boil down to, "Ya get what you pay for." For me its' also what quality and glass I'm used to using. Those Pentax's work alright, but the quality of the glass is NOWHERE near what you can expect from a Leupold or Nikon. My son has one and it's in the weeds compared to mine. So if this is a "what I can afford" deal," go by a dealer somewhere in your area and look through one first hand. Then check out some dealers like Opticsplanet.com for a comparison as they have scopes ranging from $59 - $3000+. Good luck!

Well, just opened my Pioneer II package with the 4.5-14X42 unit...ya know what...it's nice...I'm just looking out my office window and it's really gray/dull/yucky/darkish outside and scope is very clear and great color contrast looking over at the trees/bushes far out there-even at 14X...scope is lite weight, nice tube spacing..OA and rear focus work great...this one DOES NOT have that BDC reticle( which I really don't mind on my others ) but I'm glad...it's not a sexy looking as Nikons or Zeiss ( or my vintage Redfield Lo-Pro Widefield 3-9 Illuminator in patent-leather gloss black ); but it's not cheap or ugly looking either...
Ivanhoe-that is the email I got...
$139.99/free shipping...I'm pleased...more later when I miunt and shoot...

Back