Opinions on the Savage 11 FNS or GNS

mallardshoot

I would like some opinions on this gun from some of the guys that either have it or know about it. Given the choice which would you prefer? What are the advantages to the wood stock as compared to the synthetic. Is it a better coice for a specific caliber such as .223 or 22-250? Which would be cheaper to shoot? When I make my purchase I'm pretty sure I'm putting either the Burris Fullfield II on it in a 3-9 X40mm or the Leupold Vari X I in the same configuration. Which would you choose.
To me they seem to be real close but that from an untrained eye and no experience.
Thanks for your insight
Rick

I do not have the specific gun you are asking about but I do have the Sav. mod 12 fv in 22-250 and out of the box with factory ww 55 gr. loads it shot sub-moa. I did put it in a Bell & Carlson var/medalist stock for better fit to me
and bedding the action,which made it shoot even better. Its a bit heavy as a carry gun but when I get a shot I know the gun it right there.. I have the Burris signature 6 x 24 x 42 on it and am very happy.
Also have the 3 x 9 x 40 fulfield on my 300 wsm in Savage mod. 11 and well its ok but I will be replacing it this year.It is just not a long range scope,,imo. The mod 11 I have has the wood stock ,I am not sure if I am staying with it or not I need to see how it shoots when I get my Douglas heavy barrel on it. Changing barrels cause the factory one is rather thin and heats up fast, the mod.12 is a heavy barrel btw. As far as function with either the mod. 11 or the 12 I have no complaints.

Last edited:
I have a model 11 FCNS (detachable mag, synthetic) in .243. It's a nice rifle and the detach. mag is handy. About the only advantage the wood stock will have is forend stiffness and thats a mute point if you're looking at the new accustock synthetics. I'd get the synthetic if your planning on spending much time in poor weather conditions. Synthetic just takes the "crap" better than wood.

Back