Finally got an AR...Want opinions

cornfedredneck

I just got a DPMS 223 with a 20" stainless bull barrel and put a 4.5-14x40 Nikon Buckmasters scope. I just wanted to know what to expect for accuracy and what is ya'lls experiences and opinons on this rifle. I do not reload so I will be using factory ammo.

I would start with some Black Hills ammo and Hornady ammo since you dont reload. I would expect 3/4" or less. (In most cases much less) These guns shoot these days. And shoot accurately. The Black Hills ammo and Hornady ammo shoots really well in most of my guns too. You will find a load that will satisfy you in these two brands. I reload and have some good loads. And I have some rifles that shoot these two types of ammo as good as handloads. Good luck but this will be a good place to start.

Last edited:
I believe DPMS uses Wilson stainless barrels. They have a good reputation for accuracy with match shooters. If it is a 1-7 twist, you will find it will shoot 50gr-80gr well.

Cornfed, You will probably need to determine what your barrel twist rate is, before selecting your factory ammo for accuracy..

I think most of the DPMS barrels in the Panther 20 series are 1/9 twist...If so, you have a wide range of bullet weights that will generally work well...any bullet in the 50-70gr weight should be good and even down to 40gr in some...

If you can, find some of the Federal Bulk Pack 200 round count ammo that Walmart used to sell, I've found it to be really accurate in my 1/9 DPMS 16"....It is 50gr HP and used to sell for $54 per 200, but I understand it's up to around $70 now...Since I reload, I buy very few of factory rounds anymore..

I have a bunch of Black Hills that is also reasonably accurate, but not to the level of the Federal..and it's more expensive...I just acquired a hundred rounds of UltraMax 68gr HP, but haven't gotten to the range to see how it shoots...If it's accurate in mine, it should be an excellent hunting round..

Quote:I would start with some Black Hills ammo and Hornady ammo since you dont reload.

I'd start with about 100 rounds of the cheapest ammo I could find. My barrel didn't start grouping real well until I had shot it some, and using $18 a box ammo to try and determine what shoots best can get pretty expensive when you notice the groups keep shrinking.

I'm just sayin
wink.gif

I have shot the federal's out of a very similar build and get about .75 groups, still breaking it in and starting to work up loads now. I haven't seen any 200rnd federal boxed in our walmarts here, but they are carrying 100rnd boxes for about $40.

I've got the 20" fluted, and can shoot dime sized groups at 100yds. I nice trigger would give you better groups. I reload, and have my best accuracy with lighter bullets. It's a nice rifle, you'll like it.

I have a new AR and didn't know that bullet groups will get better after a few rounds are put through it. How many round does it take to break in a barrel.

My owners manual said clean it after each shot for the first 20 shots, then once after every ten for the next 100 or something like that. Barrel break in should be covered in your owners manual.

I have a RRA upper w/ a 24 inch Wilson bull barrel and this thing delivers clover leafs @ 100 yds with handloaded 50grn Blitzkings, wont shoot a 55 of any brand for nothing but will put 40grainers in the same holes as the 77s..It'll shoot everything except 50's...I love this barrel, just a tad heavy though.

Last edited:
I have the same rifle and so far it has grouped best with a 50gr V-Max (dime sized 5 shot group is entirely possible but the best I could fit in a dime is 4).Second best is Sierra 60gr HP. The barrel is 1 in 9 twist.My rifle had a JP trigger allready installed. I followed the recomended clean and shoot procedure.If you haven`t done so allready, I suggest a good quality one piece cleaning rod and a bore guide.

mnHornet, I havn`t tried 40 gr bullets, 50gr V-Max with 26.5 gr of Accurate 2460. Remington 7 1/2 primer. 2.250 COL
Winchester or Remington Brass.My friend / reloading mentor was surprised too, he figured 1 in 9 twist would have liked a heavier / longer bullet.

Back