How to PROPERLY set up a die to full length size??

drakeky

I have been reloading for about 3 years for several rifle calibers and have had good success. I reload a lot for AR type rifles and have enjoyed it greatly. But after reading and reading and reading some more on the subject, I find there are numerous ways people set up a die to full length size the case. I was just wondering what is the "right" and best way to set up a die to full length size a case. I have read the instructions that come with the dies and this in my opinion is not the best way to set the die up. I was wondering what everyone else did? Right now I am using RCBS standard two die set. I am getting ready to purchase the Redding Competition dies for two different calibers, .223 and .204. Any info????

I'm sure this is one of those opinion questions, so I'll get mine in there. The way the manufacturers instruct you to set dies might oversize your cases causing excessive headspace. The way I do it came from "Precision Shooting and Reloading Guide." Not sure if it is the best, but it works for me.

Run a fired case into the die with the die in all the way. Then chamber the empty to see how easily it closes.

Then back the die away a full turn from the shellholder and size another case. This should chamber harder.

If it does, then turn the die down 1/8 turn and size the case and chamber again checking for resistance.

Repeat until you just begin to feel the case chamber easily, then lock it down and get to work.

You can also buy case guages if you really want to get them set precise and take the trial and error out of it. I think Wilson makes them.

I usually do it per the manufacturers instructions, but I do load for a .270 that seems to be a hair long in the chamber so on that one I do this;

Start with the sizing die about two turns off the case holder. "smoke" the case neck with a sooty candle or in my case I wipe on some inletting black.

Run the case thru the sizer and keep turning it in until the marks om the black get to the point where you are just starting to touch the shoulder. From there you can go further if you like. Just depends on where you want to end up.

An inmportant fact I forgot to mention about the above method. It is meant to be used on brass that has been previously fired in the same chamber for which you are fitting it.

I suppose it's happened but in 40+ yurs handloading, I have never seen a die set up the way the manufacturer suggest's that has ever caused a head space problem. And I have never seen particial re-sizing give me enough extra accuracy to warrent setting the die up like that. Keep in mind that if the shoulder is moved at all, the sides are too. So particial re-sizing to fit a chamber perfectly only works sort of. I have several cartridges I neck size for. With them I neck size till the case chambers pretty hard then FL size. I tried backing out the die and particial sizing and found that in a goog chamber the die was only .001" off the shell holder with the ram all thew way up. I'm not fussing over .001" in sizing. On the other hand if I had a headspace problem, I would particia;l size to fix it. I would also particial size all belted and rimed cases. Sloppy chambers and even without a headspace problem they can still seperate at the head.

I like measure so...........
I measured a fired case, set up the FL sizing die, and size the case. Then I measure the sized case. In my AR I like to do .005 clearance. So I adjust die and size the same case again. Then measure again. Repeat until case is sized to your satisfaction.

Don, the practice I'm describing is one I use on a specific rifle (270). With this rifle, a brand new case loaded with the bullet off the lands will occasionally fail to fire due to the pin forcing the case forward in the chamber. This happens particularly with CCI primers.

So, the solution is to load new cases with the bullet in contact with the lands to prevent forward movement of the case and fired cases (from this same chamber) are sized per the above description.

Probably sounds like a crappy rifle (M77 mid '80's vintage) but in fact it's a nice shooter.

I remember starting out around 3 years ago. My buddy was helpin me to get a grasp on things. When he asked me if I had a candle. I thought now, what the heck is he going to do with a candle? Well, I keep my mouth shut an took notes. The candle is my go to best tool to check myself, in more ways then one. IMHO

Originally Posted By: gunracI remember starting out around 3 years ago. My buddy was helpin me to get a grasp on things. When he asked me if I had a candle. I thought now, what the heck is he going to do with a candle? Well, I keep my mouth shut an took notes. The candle is my go to best tool to check myself, in more ways then one. IMHO
more details on the candle??

Candle works even better with a drop of motor oil or 3 n 1 dripped around the base of the wick. Used that for a long time for inletting black until I discovered that it could actually be purchased!!!!!!!

I load for competition AR's and for hunting and plinking AR's. I load exactly the same for both. FULL LENGTH RESIZE FOR AUTOLOADERS!! It is the only way to ensure proper functioning. I never lost accuracy in an autoloader because I didn't partial full-length resize a case. They just don't have the force necessary to fully chamber a round like a bolt gun does if the chamber is at all dirty or the bolt is a little recalcitrant or the grease is cold or any one of a hundred other things.

I partial full-length size my bolt gun loads and then make sure I only use them in the gun they are loaded for. I only bump the shoulder enough to get the bolt to close, then cycle every round through the chamber to make sure they all will function. Since I load hundreds of rounds for my AR and M1A and Garand at a time, there is no way I am going to cycle each and every round to check for proper functioning.

You are not going to see the difference in accuracy in your AR by trying to partial full length size the case. Load for reliability in an AR or any other semi-auto. That means full length size. Some guys use small base dies that go beyond full length resize, but I never found a need for them any more than I found a need for partial sizing of autoloader ammo. I load thousands of rounds on both single stage and progressive presses. Treat your autoloader ammo different than your bolt gun ammo.

Fast Ed

Back