300 win mag with coyotes?

Quote:what ya;ll think?

Probably kill them with a couple shots, if you hit them square.
laugh.gif

I guess if I was going to own only one rifle, that would be it.

Funny thing... I've seen half a dozen coyotes shot with 165s out of the .300 Winny... only one of which dropped at the shot. The rest were double lunged and ran like the dickens... just goes to show you, you never know what's going to happen when you hit the switch on a dog.

Originally Posted By: Tk10gaim thinking of getting a 300 win mag for yotes,hogs etc .
what ya;ll think?also anyone here use a 300 win

Yeah, get one. I use a 17hmr, but I think most everybody else here uses a .300 mag.

If you reload you can shoot 110 gr.H.P and 125 gr. bullets and really take them down.I had a friend shoot his first yote with a 7mm mag. with his elk bullet and the yote ran off nad we never recovered it. I reloaded him some 100 gr. bullets nad that fixed that problem.If you are a hide hunter then this will not be good. I love the 300 mag., had one for years, now I have 2. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: Tk10gaim thinking of getting a 300 win mag for yotes,hogs etc .
what ya;ll think?also anyone here use a 300 win the 50cal. bmg would be my choice
lol.gif

Oh I would think it might be a little harder on you than the coyote, dead is dead for him but your shoulder may be in worse condition than his....actually if you would use some good bullet there may actually be less damage to him pelt than with a high velocity light weight bullet traveling at 3500+ fps... I would not recommend using light weight .30 cal bullet moving at 3600+ fps..the pelt on the far side may not exist after a hit from a frangible .30 cal bullet..If your a handloader just tone the velocity and use good heavy bullets, it'll be just about like full metal jackets..

When I owned one, I would always start the calling season with this rifle, loaded with elk loads(165partition). Good pratice for up coming hunts.

Gilbert

Back