Magnum Research 22 mag?

hamerhead

Do any of you shoot one of these? I just got one and went out shooting it tonight and had some magazine issues. The 30 round clip kept jaming every 2 to 3 shots and the Ruger 10 round clip shot all but the 10th shot and jammed!!! Can any one give me some insight on this problem, or is it a product of this rifle? HELP!!!!!

Hamer

I can't help you, but have heard the same problem with others. My local gunstore had one converted with Volquartsen stuff to .17HMR. It wouldn't feed either and he finally wound up discounting it to $600 with a disclaimer just to get it out the door. All I have heard for a fix was a new aftermarket extractor, but don't have any firsthand experience.

I had the same issue with any plastic mag. Also did not care for the high rise rail for scope mounts. I had to hold my cheek up off of the stock to see through the scope.

The plastic 30 rounder is the worst!!! As far as the gun goes, I love the way it feels and shoots. Just want it to shoot reliablely!!! Jams at the wrong time are enough to drie a guy crazy!!!! Any other people have any info?

Hamer

i got my 22mag in today from the re call they did on the 17hmr and it works fine so far.i loved the 17hmr.might be the ammo.it took me 4 box of ammo before i found one that grouped good.

Mine feeds flawlessly unless I run something with a big hollow point such as CCI TNT's.

Rem 33gr and CCI/Horn 30gr run awesome.

Who makes that 30rd clip? If it isn't a Volquartsen, throw that POS away.

i couldnt get mine to shoot the rem 33gr.4in group at a 100.tried the cci 30hp put all 9 in a 3/4 group at 100.going to try the cci 40gr hp tomarrow if it stops raining.the guy at Mag Re told me some one had 55gr 22mag ammo.i cant find it anywhere.know where to find it ?

Originally Posted By: wildcat_armsFactory 22 magnum Ruger clips only hold 9 rounds.
There is no factory or even aftermarket clip for the Ruger. They are not clip slotted.
You must be talking about magazines?
Clips are what you use to rapidly load magazines, both internal and removable magazines.

Jack

My son has a bolt action 22 magnum. 982VS micro-grove barrel. It's not a semi but a heavy barrel bolt action.
He has trouble with rounds not going into the chamber.
The clip is sloppy.It came with a 5 and 7 rnd clip.
Just thought I would throw this in about another brand of 22 magnum and a feed problem.

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsOriginally Posted By: wildcat_armsFactory 22 magnum Ruger clips only hold 9 rounds.
There is no factory or even aftermarket clip for the Ruger. They are not clip slotted.

I guess it is where you come from is what you call them. It might not be politically correct, but it sure is traditionionally correct. Want to talk about ignorance and what people call a piece that holds ammo doesn't mean jack in how someone shoots. A clip and magazine means the same thing. It holds ammo to feed the hunger of the trigger and the mind that controls it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wildcat_armsyea I agree Trap, there's always semantics involved here somewhere. Potato patato.

I don't want to know how to say french fries in french.

Quote:Aftermarket mags suck in the .22LR 10/22's

I've got close to a dozen of them here that all feed without a hitch. My 10-22's pretty nicely tuned, though. I think I can take any of them and get them feeding reliably with an after-market mag, with some minor modifications.
Assuming the mags clean and properly assembled, that is. I've seen 2 bad ones in 30 years, and one was a Ruger.

Just sayin.

What extractor are they running in that Magnum Research rifle? I never inspected one, but I'll see if I can help you out.

Last edited:
It is not just a question of semantics. The terms magazine and clip are not interchangeable. They are two completely different things. A magazine holds the rounds in a gun. A clip is what is used to rapidly load a magazine.

There were pictures just recently posted showing the obvious difference.

Jack

Back