257 weatherby

Thats good info, Might look into building one myself. Maybe I'll build it on a 32" barrel and see what it can really do though.
Azz whooped!

You want any of my load data... let me know. I moved on from mine... like I said before... if I feel the need for more than a .25-06... I just run a 7mm Rem.

You might want to include a Sherpa for packing your 32" barrel around too...
wink.gif

I used to have a 7mag, sold it after purchsing my first 2506. You couldnt give me one for free. A friend has a 7mm imperial magnum that I like though. Might go that route with the 6.5 Imperial Magnum but for the extra cost of building my own dies it would likely be cheaper to build a 6.5rem ultra mag.

This guy dont get it...

Take a 26" barreled 257 WBY and a 26" 264 WM, or 26" whatever. Thats apples to apples, not a 26" vs a 30"

Second, who really cares how flat something shoots. I guess if you dont do much shooting past 400-500 yards I can see this, but nothing shoots like a laser.... eventually you'll need to use kentucky elevation or spin the knob or use a circle or dot, As stated above, any monkey can range and dial, what you also NEED is energy, remaining velocity for the bullet to open up, and as little as wind drift as possible to hit your mark.

If your comparing .257's to a 6.5s at LR, me thinks you need to lay off the crack pipe....

Dam I love the 25-06 and would love to have a 25-06AI or 257 WBY or something like that, but at LR it just dont make sense when you can go to a 6.5 for the BC. Thats what wins at LR if you haven't noticed... If you cant understand that, then I dont know what to tell ya.

Yeah but "any monkey can turn a dial" right. Windage shouldnt be an issue than?
How much energy do you need to kill a coyote or a deer? I kill deer and coyotes at 300yds with a 223 regularly. How much energy is that?
Funny, my 22-243 has less drop and less windage than both of the cartridges mentioned and it has more energy left than the quarter bore at 1000yds. Its a 26" barrel too.
Oddly, When comparing the numbers between the two cartridges, the 257 got to the target faster until after 800yds. The 257 also had less drop until 950yds where the two became "equal for drop". The 264 lost 4" less between 950yds and 1000yds than the 257. At 500yds, the 257 had 3" less drop than the 264 and got there lots faster.
Granted, the 264 has more energy but, how much energy do we need considering 12year old kids kill deer all the time with a 223?
I just keep hoping berger can get that new 257 bullet on the market soon before I wear out this 9 twist barrel.
Ive been punching numbers all night, Im thinking I'll stick with my quarter bores since I dont shoot past 800yds very often.

It looks like this is getting side tracked. I love my 257 wby vanguard. It shoots great with everything I have loaded for it. I don't shoot a long ways but I have the gun if I need to. I set my bullet out as far as I can and the cartridge still fit the magazine. I love this gun. The 257wby is one of the most common wby rounds available. I think you would be happy with this gun.

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsOnce you get all the details under control, BC rules all long range shooting. Period, end of discussion.

Jack

So, what is the BC of a 100gr SMK ,257 cal bullet traveling 3700-3900fps? I bet its higher than whats published? I bet published BCs on that bullet are calculated around 3000fps?

Did you know that the 80gr SMK 224cal bullet has an actual BC of .610 at 3500fps? The published BCs on that bullet are at .430.

Since I havent checked the real BCs of the 100gr bullet at very increased velocity, we wont know the answer till I can get out and do the real math soooo yes, end of discussion.

Originally Posted By: Outlawkyote Yeah but "any monkey can turn a dial" right. Windage shouldnt be an issue than?
How much energy do you need to kill a coyote or a deer? I kill deer and coyotes at 300yds with a 223 regularly. How much energy is that?
Funny, my 22-243 has less drop and less windage than both of the cartridges mentioned and it has more energy left than the quarter bore at 1000yds. Its a 26" barrel too.
Oddly, When comparing the numbers between the two cartridges, the 257 got to the target faster until after 800yds. The 257 also had less drop until 950yds where the two became "equal for drop". The 264 lost 4" less between 950yds and 1000yds than the 257. At 500yds, the 257 had 3" less drop than the 264 and got there lots faster.
Granted, the 264 has more energy but, how much energy do we need considering 12year old kids kill deer all the time with a 223?
I just keep hoping berger can get that new 257 bullet on the market soon before I wear out this 9 twist barrel.
Ive been punching numbers all night, Im thinking I'll stick with my quarter bores since I dont shoot past 800yds very often.

You know that and I know that, and lots of other people know it......but throwing that 1000yd number around sounds real macho.

Magic velocities... from Pixie Dusted AI cartridges... and Mystical massive increases to advertised BCs...

What if your average Joe wanted a cartridge to shoot some LR... no wildcats... no freakishly long pipes... no running pressures up to the 80k range... just some loadin' and shootin'. Would the .257 Roy even be in that conversation? Me thinks not.

Why? See the above posted ballistics which you yourself admited whooped up on the .257 Roy (or your .25-06AI)... using the same case.

You know better than all this Outlaw... you're a little ahead of the curve when it comes to a man with his rifles. You've designed, built, and worn out plenty of factory and wildcat rifles... so you know that 99/100 guys aren't going to be able to make a stick do what you can. You know there's science AND art to LR shooting... the science is the rangefinder, the turret, and the drop chart... the art is the reading of wind... there ain't anyone on the planet that won't take all the help they can get when it comes to windbucking ability... not Shawn Carlock, not John Burns, not even Carlos freakin' Hathcock... ask any one of them and they'll tell you the same thing.

This gets a little old... and I'm as guilty of it as any guy around. Just because it happens with your specialty rifle... doesn't make it an accepted ballistic fact... it makes it an example of exactly ONE.

Originally Posted By: kyotekiller25If your comparing .257's to a 6.5s at LR, me thinks you need to lay off the crack pipe....

Laffin'.....

"Why? See the above posted ballistics which you yourself admited whooped up on the .257 Roy (or your .25-06AI)... using the same case."

Oh, I aint bitchn, The numbers are outstanding, As I said "azz whooped"
Aint looking for anything magical, just checkn "facts".And Ive been stating facts all along, just wanting to look for more facts too. Your 264 beats out my 2506AI because the VLDs in your cartridge have a so much higher BC. This got me wondering though. Considering I can set here and look at these bullets and see how sleek and streamlined they are, "why are the BCs so low"? Its just something I need to do for myself and would apreciate it if you'd do the same with your 264 just for reference.
Then Im being beat up on my load data because I have a longer barrel but you guys wont give me the extra velocity of the Magnum case?
I aint bitchn though, for the monent, Im sayn "azz whooped". I am on the other hand loading up some experimental ammo for some more load calculations cause everything said here is just say-so. Im going to do some footwork before I jump into building another cartridge. Ive got the tools, Im just going to put them to work for me.
Then I got to thinking, Why is this even bothering me? Their is only .007" difference in the bullet diameter...LOL
Maybe its the tone of my writing but, like I say, I aint bitchn, just lookn for more facts and this is how we gettem.

.007" difference... but they're quite a bit longer... and weigh an additional 22%... that makes for some big differences in the BC. Fact is... I used the old BC on the .25 115 Berger of around .530 when I ran the above data... they've now adjusted that to .465 or so... my shooting verified that the BC is around .500 or so. If Berger made a 125-130 grainer for the .25s... I'm certain it'd be in the .600 range. Problem is... every factory .25 cal rifle I can think of uses a 10" twist (or slower)... and there's no way you could spin one in anything less than a 9"... and 8" would probably be even better. So.... they'd be catering to a very small market of guys who just have to shoot a custom quarterbore. Most guys who're going to rebarel with a custom pipe for the purpose of running VLDs are going to go either 6mm... or 6.5 rather than the .25. At least that's the way I sees it.

I wish I still had that .264... but I found it didn't have the clout on game that the 7mm Rem has... and I know (as do you) very well what 100's in the .25-06 are capable of... so I had no room in the safe for it.

Like I said... I don't question your data... I just question its validity in an argument vs. any other factory round that gets mentioned. You can understand that. BUT, I could sure love a .22 cal 80 grainer at 3500... with a true BC of .610... if I could do that, I don't know that I'd own anything but that rifle and a .375 H&H for pert near all my hunting needs.

Last edited:
Went to the range today for some footwork data. Balistic calculators are only as accurate as the data we feed them so I thought i would get more accurate data.
To start with, I was shooting my 22-243 Middlested with some rather hot loads just to get some data.
Here it is.
80grSMKs at 3488fps at about 7 feet from the muzzle.
At 100yds the bullet was still traveling 3314fps
At 300yds the bullet was still traveling 3011fps.

My calculations are giving me a BC of .603 for that bullet at that velocity?

Temperature was about 35* and my elivation was right at 2800' give or take 100'

"By all means correct me if my data is wrong"

-----------------------------------------------------------

Then I took out my rem 700 with 26" 12 twist shilen barrel and started working up data on the 100gr nosler.

At 7 feet from the muzzle I was getting a velocity of 3614fps.

At 100yds the bullet is still traveling 3386fps
At 300yds the bullet is still traveling 2969fps.

My calculations show that bullet has a .460bc at that velocity?

" correct me if Im wrong"

------------------------------------------------------
Then I tried the 115gr "noslers" which were getting 3446fps at 7 feet from the muzzle.

At 100yds that bullet was still traveling 3241fps.
At 300yds it was still running 2863fps.

My calculations are showing that bullet to have a .490BC?

""These were all 3 shot avg on the bullet velocities.""

Anyhow, that makes the 257 look a little better but it'll prolly still be far less than what that 264 WBY has. I cant help but think what the 115VLD BC's would be (at these velocities) but I couldnt find any on the shelves in this lil hick town.

Oh, One of the head executived from Berger has already leaked information that they do plan on coming out with a 125gr VLD for the quarter bore and his words were " the BCs would rival the 338's"
Of course then the ammo scare came along and they are prolly just trying to keep up with demand instead of expanding their bullet selections. Thats the biggest reason I built a 30" 9 twist 2506AI. I wanted to be one of the first to put the new bullet through its paces.
Anyhow, here I sit with my thumb up my...............
Well........... Still waiting....LOL

Originally Posted By: Outlawkyote Go with the 2506AI. Mine is getting better performance than other peoples 257 Roy's with 10gr of powder less.

I second that mine does too.

Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONEThe problem I see with the 257 Wby, or any Wby round for that matter is the 10 miles of freebore at the throat unless it's a custom build useing a custom or modified reamer. Also brass for reloading is highly expensive. Grizz
Your 257 brass can be made from 264 mag or 7mm mag much cheaper.

Originally Posted By: AckmanOriginally Posted By: Outlawkyote I can get a 100gr nosler to 3700fps (without pressure signs) with a 26" barrel.
Ive gotten the same load to 3920fps in a 30" barrel.

62gr of rel 22 with magnum primers (federal) 12 twist and 10 twist barrels from Shilen and Pac-nor.

My accurate .257Wby load is a 100gr Sierra at 4010. Your 25-06AI is doing very well and I've no doubts that it really does that. But you wouldn't believe how many people just don't get it.....that when things all work together, performance is way above what the loading manuals say. Over on 24hr campfire forum there's a dust-up over .257Wby and 25-06AI performance, pressure, etc. More ignorance on that board than you could imagine. Post your numbers over there and see what I mean.

I have been in that arugment myself for a while you can't tell them DUMB AZZ HOLES ANYTHING.
Even though they have never done it but yet they know more about it than you do.

Last edited:
Back