Jerry and anyone Yote Pup Distress?

gj,
Coyote pup squeals do sound similar to your domestic puppy whines and squeals. Do you remember what it sounds like when you step on your puppy's tail and stand there for a few seconds? Learn that sound along with your whimpers and whines, then you have what you are looking for sir.

Pup distress sounds more like when you accidently step on a dogs tail, only it lasts longer, because you remove your foot for fear of getting bit. But it is a real loud YELP, not to be confused with a puppy whimper.

Good hunting. LB

edit: humm, your reply wasn't there when I replied, Rich. Appears like I'm just repeating you, doesn't it?

PS, I saw those posts you were refering to in the Hand Call Forum. I assumed the Moderator deleted them for whatever reason. If that isn't what happened, it's a total mystery? LB

[This message has been edited by Leonard (edited 07-01-2001).]

Once again I spent 20 min replying only to get told I need to re-enter my password. When I hit "back" it erased it. I will rewrite later.

Kinda depressing when that happens ain't it Curt? I hope this board isn't starting to get over loaded like what happened to Posse Country.

GJ . Yep i saw the pic. and i like it . Now for the pup in distress, put the call in your mouth . all the way up on the reed . blow , as you pull the call out it will go from low to high pitch . start out slow until you learn where to stop on the reed . practice alot , when you get the hang of it it is just iieee iiiieee iiiie . do about ten yipes then shut up and stay still . They usually come in fast . BUT NOT ALWAYS . Good luck Jerry .

OK, this time I backed it up in triplicate. heh heh

Jerry said it. Take your open reed and use just the tip or just enough reed to achieve a very high pitch. With a little practice you will find it easy. Use short, quick, bursts of air to create a high pitch "yiiipe, yiiipe, yiiipe". Like Rich and Leonard said, it sounds like an injured domestic dog basically. This was about the only thing working for Jerry and I yesterday.

We started around 4:30am and by 8:00am it was already getting hot. We seemed to be dealing with some paranoid coyotes. We couldn't figure out why they were hanging up. Then we talked to the landowner and he said a couple fellas came through a week or two ago and managed to call several in as close as 50 yds and they missed them all. Jerry pulled off a shot that really deserved to be on tape. On one stand we were kind of in a elevated spot overlooking some sage country. In sneaks this male and it gets in a spot where he was out of Jerry's sight for a sec. He is getting ready to pop it as soon as it comes back into view. Meanwhile, I didn't hear Jerry give the "kiss of death" signal to alert me a dog was in sight. So I proceeded to blast some more pup distress cries on the open reed. This of course managed to make the coyote turn inside out trying to get out of there. I get done with the series and hear Jerry yell WHOOP. I heard him that time and turned around as Jerry was jumping up to keep the coyote in view and bringing up his rifle all in one motion. I throw my rifle up and am getting ready to shoot too. (just in case, ya' know
smile.gif
) No need though. I got to see a great running headshot. He did the classic instant nose-dive, with the combination flip, tailwag. I busted out laughing. It was a good shot. (even if Jerry did lure me into looking the wrong way at the beginning of the stand
smile.gif
smile.gif
) The great thing about this stand was out of all of them, we walked the shortest distance from the rig. Probably 50 yds tucked behind the road bank. Gotta love the short walks that pay off. LOL I would have posted a pic of the coyote Jerry got but it's kinda , shall we say "gory". I will post the one of him holding it, when I get the pics back. It's not as bad. I should have taken a pic of Jerry with his digital camera but I used my 35 mm so I have to get the film developed. I think I was dopey from sleep deprivation. Ha Ha
smile.gif

Later, Curt

[This message has been edited by Curt (edited 07-01-2001).]

gj,

If you want to hear the Johnny Stewart version of the coyote pup distress go to their web site and check out animal sounds. Its kind of interesting to listen to all the different animal sounds they have on tape.

By the way nice to meet you gj. What part of Idaho are you from? Take care and good hunting.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Lonny (edited 07-02-2001).]

Lonney: Ilive in blackfoot, between Pocatello and IdahoFalls orignally from Aberdeen ID. good to meet another Idahoan gj
Originally posted by Lonny:
gj,

If you want to hear the Johnny Stewart version of the coyote pup distress go to their web site and check out animal sounds. Its kind of interesting to listen to all the different animal sounds they have on tape.

By the way nice to meet you gj. What part of Idaho are you from? Take care and good hunting.

------------------
moa@reloader.net
www.moaammo.com

Back