.224 69 grain SMK any good for yotes??

Huntinfool

I recently bought a RRA Coyote Rifle 20 1 in 9" twist.

I had a box of 69 Sierra Matchkings I tried them for accuracy and some 50 grain Blitz as well as some 55 Grain blitz. Of course the rifle liked the 69 grain SMK the best.

My question is has anyone tried 69 grains SMK on yotes and fox maybe cats? I know that Sierra says they are for paper punching and I've seen several debates as to whether or not deer should be shot with them.

I was hoping someone may have used them on yotes one of the complaints against the SMK on deer was they might blow up if a bone was hit!

~HF~

Well I guess they killed em alright then. Your main complaint is they blow up too much? I just found some Sierra Game Kings 65 grain that should suffice if I don't like the SMK.

~HF~

Last edited:
If you are looking to keep the fur, the 69 gr. MatchKing is not the bullet. Large holes have been my experience. I am working with the 65 gr. GameKing as well. Seems like a tougher bullet than the 69 gr. MatchKing. I think I have finally found a load for it using Varget. It is averaging 3020 fps and giving .5's to 6's consistently.

PaPa 260

I loaded the 69 SMK over 24.5 grains of 4895 it shot .5 at 100 yards but I think I wasn't doing my best so it might even do a little better.

I've got a few (82) loaded was hoping to blast a yote or two with em. But I might just keep em for crows and such and get me some 65 Game Kings.

Thanks Fellows,
~HF~

I have also had those kinda' results...but the 65 SGK is working great for me. Killed 1 at 557 this year and 1 at 335 today. Neither bullet exited. The exits i have had were minimal. Seems to function like a big game bullet, which is what it was designed for i think. Supposed to be made off the same jacket as the 69 MK. BC's the same.

Back