Whats the difference in a r15 vs r15vtr

rickyb

Kind find out anything. Anybody know what the difference would be. I went out on Remington's site and they show a R15, R15VTR and a R15 Bryon South. I know what the Bryon South has extra. I just can't see the difference in the R15 and R15 VTR except some cosmetice stuff. Rick

Last edited:
Dustykicks that doesn't say what the difference's are between a R15 vs a R15VTR. IF you look at the pictures they show a R15 and a R15VTR and a Byron South. Rick

I might get corrected on this but the difference between the r-15 and the r-15vtr is the barrel. On the r-15 the barrel is round and 0n ther-15vtr the barrel starts out round and then it turns to a triangle with the sides rounded off like their 700 vtr's

The main thing is the barrel length mine is the VTR and it has the round barrel the whole way it has the flutes in about 10 inches of it and its the 22 inch the R 15 has the 18 inch barrel. Thanks Billy

The R-15 is offered in 30 Remington AR and 450 Bushmaster and the R-15 VTR is offered in .223 Rem. and .204 Ruger with some models only .223 Rem. Not sure about the barrels being different, other than the VTR SS Varmint which is triangular, but from reading up on them they appear to be the same just different calibers.

Last edited:
All the R-15's I've ever seen all say VTR on the side of the lower. Mine is the 18", round fluted barrel,.223, fixed stock, just like the R15 pic on Rem's website. It still has VTR on the lower, Varmint Target Rifle. Mine understanding is... all R-15's are VTR's.

Here is what Remington says about them.So the R=15 has the collaspsible stock. and i have seen this one and it does not have the VTR on the lower like the others so that is the difference.

The R-15 VTR Predator Rifle has a 22" barrel with a fixed stock and pistol grip. At 7 3/4 lbs, it’s extremely stable – the best choice for long shots. Our R-15 VTR Predator Carbine and R-15 Predator Carbine CS* (Collapsible Stock) handle like lightning with their 18" barrels and weigh a mere 6 3/4 lbs. – perfect for high-speed hunting scenarios. The Predator Carbine CS features a telescoping stock with a fully adjustable length of pull for a custom fit.

VTR = Varmint Target Rifle, which to me indicates the solid stock and longer barrel. This seems to be supported by what WSMBUCK posted above.

My R-15 "VTR" CS 18" .223 has VTR stamped right on the side of it. Desert Ram is right about VTR being short for "Varmint Target Rifle" and therefore the VTR models are offered in .223 Rem and .204 Ruger. The non VTR Model is offered in 30 Rem AR and 450 Bushmaster calibers. http://www.remington.com/product-families/firearms/centerfire-families/autoloading-model-r-15.aspx Follow this link and click on a Model and them click on Specifications. It will say what it is all offered in.

+1 .204

I really don't like what Remy did to their website this year. It might be easier to read the catalog at http://www.remington.com/~/media/Files/Catalogs/2009/Remington_09Catalog_Rifles.ashx

The price.
lol.gif

Last edited:
The R-15 VTR Predator Rifle has a 22" barrel with a fixed stock and pistol grip. At 7 3/4 lbs, it’s extremely stable – the best choice for long shots. Our R-15 VTR Predator Carbine and R-15 Predator Carbine CS* (Collapsible Stock) handle like lightning with their 18" barrels and weigh a mere 6 3/4 lbs. – perfect for high-speed hunting scenarios. The Predator Carbine CS features a telescoping stock with a fully adjustable length of pull for a custom fit.

This was copyed off remington's sight

My R-15 VTR (printed on the right side of the mag well)Has an 18 in.fluted barrel and a fixed stock.As I understand it the VTR comes with either a 18 or 22 in. barrel.The collapsable stock model has a different mod. number I think,Like R15 CS.

WSMBUCK; Do you feel like beating your head against the wall yet?!!!
lol.gif

For the record; I already knew what you have posted so maybe it was just easier for me to comprehend what you posted!!
lol.gif

Back