semi auto .223 vs 22-250

300winchester

I am torn right now on Buying a Bushmaster .223 Predator, or Coyote vs. a Howa 5+1 22-250, I know I am going to hear a lot of mixed reviews but they may help me in making my mind up.
Thanks in advance, I dont think we will be making to many 300 yard plus shots where I live

I bought a bolt .223 and wish i would have bought an AR. they're just so fun to shoot. What points are you having trouble deciding with? cartridge, follow up shots, price, accuracy, trigger. I have a weatherby vanguard and i believe the howa is an identical gun- the factory trigger was garbage. Bought i dropped in a timney and the gun shoots fantastically.

Yes, follow up shots, Accuracy vs. a second quick shot on a running coyote for instance with the semi auto .223, I know how good the 22-250 reputation is for way out there shots and bolts are known for accuracy, but second quick shots and loosing your target is the problem. Price is not a problem, trigger I can replace, Thanks

For what it's worth, there are a lot of AR's that will shoot on par with a bolt gun factoring in most people's shooting ability, especially in the field. You would probably need to replace the trigger either way.

If price is no object there may be other choices than limiting to just a Howa. Sounds like you're just down to consider do you want a .223 or a .22 250. An AR can be very, very accurate. Have you considered other cartridges in an AR? .25 wssm 6.8spc. are you trying to save fur at all?

My RRA coyote rifle carbine will shoot between .5 and .75 MOA. I normally hunt with a .243 but switched to my AR because of the follow up shots.... actually missed a coyote 2 weeks ago and managed to shoot him running... never woulda happened with a bolt action... at least not for me!!!

Originally Posted By: stealthmanFor what it's worth, there are a lot of AR's that will shoot on par with a bolt gun factoring in most people's shooting ability, especially in the field. You would probably need to replace the trigger either way.

This+1

To OP: AR's are not of the same breed as any other auto loader rifle. They marry the best features of the SMG and the Battle Rifle together and do it better than either ever did.
Most rifles these days will need trigger work period. Stupid gun grabbing democrats made shure of that. The good news is you can just go buy a drop in replacement that is light years ahead of the factory crap.
All my pest guns are AR's and they are good guns.

The 22-250 only gives you another 50 yards with light bullets. The 223 cost way less and can be had in heavy for caliber bullets. I watched a couple videos of guy shooting yotes way past 600 yards with a 223. You can buy 223 with twist all the way down to 1 in 7" without having something custom made. Bolt guns are pretty much coming 1 in 9" twist now. If you go 22-250 many are still using the old 1 in 14" twist which really limits how far you're going to be able to knock bigger ctitters off their feet. The 40 gr just don't cut it for long range work.

I heard the 55 grains shoots very well in the 1 in 9 twist. The 69 did not shoot well at all. What trigger manufacturer would you recommend, timney , etc?
Thanks again for all your great input

I'm not an AR person, even though I have one. Having said that and after reading all the posts thus far, sounds to me like your primary concern is a quick 2nd second shot capability and the trigger. Since distance is really not an issue (few 300 yd shots), I say go with the AR and put a Timney Trigger in it. You hould have a pretty nice rig after that for huntin Yotes. Good luck!

Follow up shots... what is the cover like where you hunt? If the cover is dense then good follow up shots aren't gonna happen as often as you think. A missed coyote is just a split second and a jump or two from being out of sight and your emphasis should always be on an accurate high percentage first shot. If the country is open, then you have a considerably better opportunity for an accurate follow-up shot in case of a miss.

I hunt heavy timber and tried several bolt guns, the AR platform, then a Browning Lwt. Synthetic BAR, and have settled on a pair of Benelli M1S90 12 gauge semi-auto shotguns for much of my hunting. I did this because the rifle just doesn’t work out as well in much of the thick timber and brush in this steep Ozark mountain country. Under 50 yards the shotgun simplifies things and is very decisive.

The AR seldom sees the field anymore. I still use the BAR some, but now more often than not if I’m using a rifle it is an accurate Remington Model Seven Predator bolt gun and I really focus on that first shot because I know there won’t be a second shot if I flub the first one. The bolt gun is lighter, slightly less bulky, and has a better trigger. Not much difference really and I can use either and like them both, but the point being second shot opportunities may not be as common as you think depending upon cover and terrain in your hunting grounds.

If you're still looking at getting the howa, i really like my timney trigger. it is super crisp when set at any weight. i like the feel of it too. wider and flat on the finger.

If you are going to be calling critters at close range and have a second bolt action for long shots, I'd go with a .223 SA for fast follow up shots. If fact I was wondering why no one has come out with one that looks like an ordinary hunting rifle so we don't have to pay a premium for military looking stuff, which I don't like anyhow.

The .223's low recoil would be an advantage for seeing bullet impacts. Brass is plentiful and cheap if it ends up in the snow or mud.

If you don't have much confidence in hitting two targets, get some skeet shooting practice.

Back