Carbon fiber barrels calling rifle?

CastleRocker

I've read the existing threads on here about the Bushmaster carbon, but nothing much about any carbon fiber AR barrels, or furniture. I found a guy that builds CF barrels from a Shilen blank. He turns them down, wraps with CF and tensions them. They should be good shooters, but I wanted some other opinions before I shuck out the cash. I am thinking it would make an ideal calling rifle. Any opinions? (I KNOW there are opinions ... that's what I like about this forum!)

I would be real interested on how he handles the gas block. Maybe rifle length gas tub, carbon wrap between shank and gas block area, steel from there? Do you know if he has done them for AR's before? I would love to see some pics.

B

I've got a tensioned carbon-fiber .22LR barrel (Magnum Research) and it shoots nice. Of course there's very little pressure in that round, so how it translates to centerfire pressures I'm not sure.
I know D-Tech keeps at least a bore diameter of material intact under his fluting, so that would translate into a .669 liner wrapped in CF.
Quote:They should be good shooters...

That's where I'd be concerned. Does he offer an accuracy guarantee with the barrels? Be kind of embarassing to get outshot by a stock pencil-barreled upper after all that, and I've seen a few of them that were pretty darn accurate, and light.
If he guarantees they'll shoot sub-MOA, that would be a different story.

That's my opinion.
crazy.gif

Well, I should be able to answer this in about a month as I recently ordered one. I'm either going to feel really smart or really stupid, but so far, I'm confident that this guy makes a good upper. He assured me it would shoot in the 1/2 inch range or better at 100 yards range and said when my upper is done, he would take it out and shoot it, send me pics of the upper and target as proof, then mail it out upon my approval. The one I have ordered is an AR upper in .17 Rem. I spoke with him on the phone (his name is Eric Martin) and he is supposed to have a website for the carbon barrels up soon. He has been a machinist for years and has a business cleaning skulls (http://www.europeanskulls.com). He has also built some T/C barrels and others. The last picture is of a rifle chambered in .358 WSSM to be legal for deer in Indiana. He said they have built 21 of these and that Dtech will be offering the round in an upper. There is another guy on here (Ill Coyote) who had an AR made already and is very happy with it. That is who I got the contact info from. I will be sure to post pics of the rifle along with targets and results from factory and home loads when I get it. It is supposed to save about 2.5 lbs or so. Eric has one he built for himself that has the carbon barrel, carbon free float tube, carbon upper receiver, and Cavalry arms lower that weighs about 4 lbs 3 oz. Here are some pics he sent me of his work.

Carbon_AR.jpg

Carbon2.jpg

Carbon3.jpg

tccarbon.jpg

358Carbon.jpg

How long did you go on your barrel. I like the looks of the one in the pics, and like the side charge! Please let us know how it shoots.

I will be sending him a few q's as well. Thanks for the info.

B

I've always been intrigued by carbon fiber barrels ever since I picked up a Remington in a gun shop a few years back that had the carbon fiber barrel. It was a .308 and was very, very light. I may like the idea ever more once I get older, but right now the weight savings just aren't that important to me. As far as accuracy goes, most of my guns can shoot far better than I can so it doesn't help me there either. I have to admit though, they do look really cool.

The one in the picture is 20 inches. Mine will be 24 inches based on a Shilen blank. How it shoots will determine quite a bit. If it shoots as good as what Eric and Ill Coyote have said, I will be happy. The one I ordered has the 24 inch carbon barrel, carbon free float tube, side charging flat top upper, and tactical latch. They start at $850 for the basic tensioned upper. With the additions to mine, the total came to $1081.95 including $25 for shipping. Pretty spendy for an upper, but it is unique and what I was looking for. If the accuracy and weight savings are there, I will definitely be pleased. I have another AR with a 24 inch Pac-Nor barreled .204 upper from White Oak. Accuracy is amazing, but she is a heavy one to pack around. I will keep you guys posted.

Well, if he's giving you that kind of guarantee, and with it being .17 you should be able to peel the liner down to .510 or thereabouts, it sounds a lot more confidence inspiring.
That barrel looks a lot like a Volquartsen, and they shoot bugholes in .22LR.
Mine is layed up differently, whether that's an advantage or not, I have no idea.
If it all works out, it will be pretty darn cool, no doubt.

Hey thats a nice rifle on top.OHHHHHHH wait a minute thats my rifle.LOL!!!!!!!!!!
These guns shoot great and are light weight.
When these guns are built they are shot and tuned before they ever leave Eric hands.
If you where to have a problem he will take care of it.
He can also be reached at Shmartin70@aol.com.
any questions just ask him.

Pm me your e mail address and I will send you my best 5 shot group and you can post it for me.
Looks like you got this picture thing down.

I just warned my wife that the AR's in the safe are breeding (again). Wow, this started as a general question to any and all, (hoping Stealthman, and Ill Coyote would chime in), and and now it's going to cost me some money!!!

Ha ha ha, breeding indeed. Well, I don't know how much you get over on this side of the state, but you are more than welcome to come shoot mine when it shows up if you want to try before you buy. Just don't tell the wife where you are going.

Hey thanks for the invite! I may just have to take you up on that. I usually try to make it over there in Jan/Feb for a coyote/bobcat hunt, but your weather hasn't been conducive to good calling lately, so I haven't been over yet. Any idea when the delivery date of your rifle would be? I do have to make a run to CD'A for a couple days or so, sometime before the water comes up in the spring to do some work.

ETA on the upper was about a month. So I would guess the start of March or so. Yeah, been a bit warm over here and no snow for calling. Shoot me a PM when you are headed this way and we'll get in touch if we have some extra time.

I have an AR Upper that I had built with the ABS carbon fiber wrapped barrel(Mike Rock 5R) with a 1-8 twist and it is a shooter and carries great! I have had this upper for about 3 years now and love it........will post pics later when I get home. Pics Added of my favorite calling carbine!
* DPMS Lower
* Geissle SSA Trigger
* Vltor billet uppper reciever
* Daniel Defense Lite Rail
* Vicker Combat Sling
* LMT Sopmod Stock
* 16 in. ABS Carbon Fiber Wrapped Mike Rock 5R barrel
* Magpul MIAD Grip
* Trijicon TR-24G 1-4x in a LaRue mount

DSC02693.JPG

DSC02694.JPG

Last edited: