coyote skinning

Originally Posted By: Trap935Use an air compressor if you have one. Take blow gun and put under fur and let it do the work.It will peel the hide off the carcass. Blow it up like a balloon.

ok, you gotta splain this technique to me! i like the idea though.

Originally Posted By: roadkill46Originally Posted By: Trap935Use an air compressor if you have one. Take blow gun and put under fur and let it do the work.It will peel the hide off the carcass. Blow it up like a balloon.

ok, you gotta splain this technique to me! i like the idea though.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I've tried the compressed air method. Several times in fact. It's a darn good idea in theory. As you're putting the air in under the skin it LOOKS like the hide is seperating from the carcass. You're thinking to yourself "this is going to make it sooooo easy to skin now".

Sorry to say it just DON'T work.

But don't take my word for it. Try it for yourselves. I recommend everyone try it at least once.
lol.gif

The guys that do it a lot, or have the means to make a skinning machine. The wench and ect pull the hide off as you slice the connecting tissue. Saves a lot of time on cold coyotes, saves your hands. I would like to have one, just haven't made one yet.

I think there are a few tricks to skinning coyotes. One of the biggest for me is to be able to adjust the height. I hate working over my head or leaning over much. When I put up my first gambrel, I attached it to cable and through a pulley in the ceiling and down to a convenient place on the wall. I attached a 2 X 6 to the wall and ran lag screws into that. On the end of my cable I made loop. That way I could raise and lower the coyote at will. It helped keep the coyote at a comfortable height.

The other thing being able to adjust the coyote helps in is giving you leverage. I like to be slightly above where the hide and muscle meet. That way I can use my weight to push down. I'm to the point, I can skin one in just under ten minutes if I try to hussle. Most more likely at 12-15.

A couple years ago, I got adventurous and built a puller with a winch. It really doesn't save much time on a warm coyote but saves the back if you're doing more than a couple. On a cold or frozen then thawed coyote, it's a great help. Mine is tough enough that it will pull the hide off a semifrozen coyote. I've ripped a couple. Trick there seems to be taking it easy around any little cuts, especially towards the belly.

Back