Ruger Mini 14 for coyotes?

drenalinhunter1

i am considering buying a mini 14 and topping it with a coyote special scope...i was just wondering if any one would recommend a mini 14 for coyote or not, i would love to get an AR but i don't have that kind of money!!...thanks for the help

A Mini will work for coyotes. Most people prefer the AR due to all the upgrades and accuracy potential, but if you find a good deal on a Mini, it should work fine. If you really want and AR, you might want to check around on prices. Here is an Olympic Arms for $599:
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct347.aspx
Sometimes there are deals to be had on gunbroker as well. I'm not sure what you can get a Mini for, but if you really want an AR, there are some in the Mini price range for sale right now. Having owned both, if it were me, I would hold out for an AR.

You can actually get a AR platform cheaper then a Mini-14 NEW, like just a DPMS or what stealthman said. I have an older model Mini-14 with a folding stock that I have in my truck, just in case I see a yote out in a field and try to sneak up on em. But the new Mini's shoot way better then the older models and they seem to be way lighter also!

Got a new mini-14 a few years ago and it's about as
accurate as you could want. But then again, I'm not
out launching hail mary shots at hundreds of yards either.

The Mini-14 is a good shotgun for coyote hunting. It shoots a good pattern and is quick handling for shots under 50 yards.

For anything farther than that, you want a rifle.

P.S. I have several Mini-14s. They are fun. They are good for home defense and close in work. They are not accurate rifles. They are very expensive for what you get. Save your money.

I have a mini-14 and I seem to be able to shoot ok with it. The mini is really versatile rifle. A lot of people use the mini-30 which is in 7.62x39 for hog hunting. They also have a version in 6.8spc which has ballistics very similar to a .243 with better barrel life.

When I'm target shooting I will be honest I don't get real impressive groups with. I will say that at 100yds I have never had rounds more than 2" from poa. That makes it a perfect light weight coyote gun out to 150yds.

If your going to buy one new, make sure that it is one of the newer models with the serial no. that starts with 580 and that it has a tapered barrel. They also have a model with a shortened barrel that has a flash hider from the factory. These seem to be more accurate than the rest.

If you buy an older model used a good deal would be about $400.00. There are a lot of modifications that can be done to make them shoot just as accurate as the newer models. They do not cost an arm and a leg and most can be done by yourself. Now you get to have a nice inexpensive coyote gun that you can make your own.

I don't make many shots farther than 150 so I don't need sub moa. Don't let the AR crowd make you think that the low end olys would be a better option they sometimes don't go boom when you pull the trigger. Accruacy isn't any better with a low cost AR than it is with a mini and mini's are way easier to clean. I spent four years in the Army so I know the difference.

Last edited:
When first purchasing a rifle for predator hunting I choose the Mini 14. It was a new out of the wraper tactical model with a black synthetic stock and a 16" tapered barrel. This was a very light and comfortable rifle. Very nice to carry into the thick woods in central NH.

I'm an advid pistol shooter and had not shot a rile for a long time. Sighted in the Mini at 75yrds. Got reasonable results, but also had some wild flyers misfires, and jams. I chaulked this up to using cheap ammo. Long story short, at the moment of truth with a coyote in my sights the rifle misfired. This time I was using Hornaday 75grain match rounds. Rifle failed within a week of owning it.

Made a call to Ruger the next day. They said to send the rifle in. Asked if I could drop it off since I drive past their facility on my way to work. Their answer was no. Must be mailed. Took it to the shop where purchased. Rifle accepted all three head space gauges. Shop owner offered a full refund toward any rifle I purchased at the store. This after 10 days of waiting for Ruger to look at it. I took him up on it.

Could not abide owning an unsafe, unreliable, inaccurate rifle from a manufacturer with poor customer service. Had they immediatley replaced it with a functioning new or refub I'd be hunting with it today as I really like the way the gun handles.

If you go with the Mini, check it it out immediatly. When they work they are great, when they don't is a big headache.

drenalinhunter1,
Welcome to Predator Masters!
cool.gif

Save your money and get an AR...you won't regret it.

It's shameful that Ruger hasn't made some improvements with the Mini 14. I have a caulking gun with a better trigger than comes on the Mini 14. Plus, they do make excellent tomato stakes.
tongue.gif

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

perch, is right on with the mini. i personaly love the rifle. i put a nikon prostaff 3-9 on it and killed 6 yotes with it, around a 100 yards. but recently took the scope off and shot 3 more yotes with it under 100 yards with open sights and thats probably how i'm gonna leave it. www.perfectunion.com has alot of good info if you want to try your own amateur gunsmithing. i bought a 580 series a few years back did some work on it. i bought my mini from walmart for $520. i don't know what brand new ar's run for?

Perch said it well. The mini has its place. I have owned one for almost twenty years. I am an Ar armorer and range officer and I have seen alot more malfuntions with an ar than a mini. The mini is limited on long range accuracy where the ar can shine. Accept the mini for what it is and dont try to make it a long range shooter because your money would be better spent with an ar in that instance.

I have seen lots of complaints about the Mini and its accuracy. One must keep in mind it was designed to be a reliable rifle for Law Enforcement and ranch type use ... it wasn't designed to be a sub MOA shooter. If you want to kill a coyote at 150 yards the Mini will handle the job as long as you do your part.

Having just recently retired from Law Enforcement I can tell you our SWAT team exclusively used the Mini 14 for 12 years before switching to the AR platform. During those years each of the Mini's had thousands of rounds sent down range and worked flawlessly. The only time trouble was experienced was when an aftermarket mag was being used. Keep them clean, oiled, and they will last a lifetime, Remember they are what they are ... nothing more and nothing less ... a good all around rifle.

Last edited:
Welcome to PM.
I take it you won't be shooting in the open flat lands. I have the Bushmaster Predator and by the time you add a good scope and 10 rounds of ammo it is not the lightest thing you can get. You young guys can handle it but it gets heavier the steeper the hill and the longer the day.

So I also got the Mini 14 and added a scope. I share the same sentiments as most others here. It has an accuracy problem even at 100 yards.

Plan B.
Got a red dot sight and use it when I know I will be walking a ways and that my shots here in the hills will likely be under 75 yards. Is plenty accurate for that. Be careful which mount you get for it. The original one I tried replaced the rear site...Bad idea. Get the full rail mount as there are several out there.

Surely you can find a used one pretty cheap if you are dead set on it as like they said above, if you get a new one a trick it out at all you will be over the AR's in price.

Hope this helps

You may have spent serious dough, but you will have a sick rifle! It does take a trigger job, a stock bedding and hand loads really help, but i like mine better than my really expensive AR. my mini shoots 2 MOA and can do better. 2 MOA at worst, and im a marginal shooter

Whatever works, works. We all have our preferences as well as thoughts of what is acceptable in accuracy for the job at hand.

I had a really nice (very nice wood) Mini-14 stainless several years ago. It shot "OK" but nothing to write home about. It was fun to shoot, but loud as heck. Both my ARs shoot circles around it.

As mentioned before, AR's can be had for a pretty decent price right now. If you are after accuracy on a budget, then go with an AR, but if you just like the Mini, and won't be shooting very far, then use that. Whatever works for you is what is important. For me, I probably will never own another Mini since the ARs I have shot will group so much better.

Mini's are fun to shoot, the newer ones shoot pretty accurately with good ammo in them. They are as tough as an AK, and what hasn't been mentioned here is they will shoot the Russian steel case ammo just fine, and an AR won't, at least not for long they won't. Just sayin. I have Ar's and I have a mini 14 and a mini 30. The mini's are more fun to shoot and cheaper too. And I just added a M1A scout squad to the arsenal, big time fun shooting cinder blocks at 300 yds with open sights!

Had a mini 30 that is supposedly less accurate than its .223 counterpart. It printed 1.5" three shot groups on a COLD bore. After abut two consecutive groups, accuracy suffered. Test ammunition if you go with a mini. Here in CT, shots are rarely in excess of 150-200 yards and 1.5 moa is plenty acceptable. Love the grand action for more than the ar action.

Back