Anyone take a deer with a .204

Bryan8

I'm a big .22 centerfire guy for deer but I was woundering if any guys are takin deer with a .204?

What about a .17 REM?

What kind of bullets?

Are you guys going for heart/lung shots? Or head/neck?

~Bryan

O...

NY laws are any centerfire. Personally I don't feel .20's or .17's are enough. I was asking if anyone had shot a deer with these beacuse I was woundering how it worked.

It's not like I'm going to run out and buy a .204 or .17 rem and shoot deer with it

just clearing this up before I take any crap

~Bryan

here in tenn as long as its centerfire is legal to hunt with would i want to go deer hunting with a .17 or .204 no i wouldnt but would it kill a deer sure with a head shot or double lungs with a good made bullet but if ur going to go deer hunting please use a bigger gun

Last edited:
I have several techs from Texas that have come to school this year with stories of .204 killing everything from ferel hog to whitetail. As accurate and flat shooting as mine is, I wouldn't hesitate to take an easy shot with it. (If it was legal)

Last edited:
"Taking a shot" at deer, under certain circumstances, with a .204 is one thing, but actually going deer hunting with one is in sane. MY opinion.

If all you have is a .204 and you are in need of food, then that is survival, and a guy does what he has to do.

Ive killed several deer with a 204 and it shuts them down as quick as anything. Ive shot them in the neck and front shoulder,the damage to the tissue was devastating. I have also witnessed a guy shoot 1 with a 17 rem and would advise against that.

I have to think that as hard as my .223 with a 55 grain bullet at 3100 fps put down a buck, that a 40 grain .204 bullet at 3700 fps would be every bit as deadly. Alot of the guys that I have talked to about it are going on management hunts, for farmers with to much game on their property where the rules a pretty relaxed.

Last edited:
I have shot deer and pigs with mine...no tracking. All dropped right there. All were high neck shots on deer, and head shots on pigs. I know exactly wher my gun shoots, and only take good shots. There are better guns for the job, but when that is all you have in your hand at the time...I don't hesitate to take the shot. I noticed you asked if anyone had shot a deer with this round and not if this was a good gun for deer hunting, so you will be getting no lecture from me...lol.

Originally Posted By: Bryan8I'm a big .22 centerfire guy for deer but I was woundering if any guys are takin deer with a .204?

What about a .17 REM?

What kind of bullets?

~Bryan

Does your mom know you're on her computer?...

Originally Posted By: BusterOriginally Posted By: Bryan8I'm a big .22 centerfire guy for deer but I was woundering if any guys are takin deer with a .204?

What about a .17 REM?

What kind of bullets?

~Bryan

Does your mom know you're on her computer?...

Actually I'm on my iPhone but thanks for the concern.

~Bryan

As Xtrempredhntr said if its what you got sometimes you just have to make do.
Here one with the Tac 20
Reunionpicturesmisc009.jpg

Here is another with 17HMR a friend shot.
ImportedPhotos00039.jpg

Notice that both were head shots made from about 50yds.I know you asked about deer and no I have not shot one( only bows for deer)
I have a straw and some spitballs but have not found rings yet to mount the scope.
wink.gif

There's a well known hunting show host that had an episode with his young kids shooting antelope with a 204.

If I was to try it I would want a tight twist to shoot 50gr VLD's

Originally Posted By: tntrapperhere in tenn as long as its centerfire is legal to hunt with would i want to go deer hunting with a .17 or .204 no i wouldnt but would it kill a deer sure with a head shot or double lungs with a good made bullet but if ur going to go deer hunting please use a bigger gun Did they change that ? it was the smallest you could go was 22cal centerfire.

Back