Minimum Power for load development

buckhtr

What do you guys consider a Minimum scope magnification to do load developement? I don't expect to get as good of groups at 6x as I do at 20x. What do you think? For me 16x min like 20x better.

Higher the better for me, but at least 14x-16x. I've shot some incredible(for me) groups for a 9 power scope, but it doesn't happen more than once or twice. Course I would take a 12 power Nightforce or Leupold over a 24 power Trashco most anyday.

I've shot many 1"-1.5" groups (5 shot)at 200yds using a 6X scope and yesterday did a 3 shot 200yd group just over 1/2" (prone with bipod)using a scope at 10X. I've been tempted to get a high mag scope but keep thinking it would have limited application for any use other than at the bench and I prefer to practice from field positions. The highest mag scope I have is a 4.5-14 and I've found that for field use that is about the most I can hold in either a prone or sitting position. I'd opt for getting better quality glass and stick to something under 16X. That's just my personal limit, you may be able to hold better at a higher mag but are you not better off better glass and less mag?

I can pick a finer aiming point on the target with 16x or higher scope power. I have 16x, 20x and 24x scopes that I use for load developing.
Works for me.

don't the hunter BR guys shoot for score? If so then a perfect could be acheived with a group of say .741" wide using a .308? I guess after thinkig that would still be .433 so yea pretty good.

Last edited:
personally I like higher magnification too a certain point, but the reticle also matters as well as far as small groups go. I have a 4-14x scope with a range finding reticle that the reticle gets larger as you go up in power, which gives you very heavy bars at 14x. The bars probably cover an inch at 100 yds. So far I can still shoot better groups with a 3-9x on paper, but in real hunting situations I like the higher power, most of the time.

with the higher magnifaction you have the paralax problem and your cheek weld needs to be more percise, But I allways shoot on the highest magnification on the scope because on long shoots that is what i shoot with.

with scope over 12x [maybe some with less] power you have parallex adjustment so that not a valid argument there for me.

Back