game processors

tgrif

of the folks on here who take their deer, elk and etc. to a game processor.
Do you think/feel you get the meat from your animal back or just meat from any animal?

Your question is the exact reason I process my own animals. I might take it to a meat locker to cool and age the carcass, but I never take the chances of getting someone elses gut shot overheated meat.

I process my own, but that has more to do with cost and my own satisfaction than any concerns. There are processors here that I would trust to butcher. One of them charges $85 a head. Multiply that by 6 deer and you're better off getting a side of beef.

I would guess that you should be fairly safe with butchering, but sausage or smoking would be a different story.

Nate

I work for a game processor as a apprentice (also to learn how to do it on my own). he made it clear that everyone gets their own meat\mount and no hair

great meat cuts + no hair + own meat back = happy customer

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tntrapperi thought they was high here at 55 a deer but them prices are well just WOW

+1!!! Those are some crazy prices for an hour and a half of work.

Save your money and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself with the end result of a superior product for the table. I wouldn't dream of letting someone else "butcher up" the game meat that will later be on my table. I'll put it up myself, cleanly, neatly, and consider that part of the hunt experience with the satisfaction that goes along with it.

well...most people just like to shoot the animal and thats it..good for you that you can process it yourself...some people can't therfore they have to pay for it.

you get what you pay for bro

Coyote321, It's refreshing to see someone take pride in their work and have a professional attitude. Good for you.
thumbup.gif

I have done both, cut my own and when I was short of time, I used a butcher. He did an excellent job and you are correct, you get what you pay for.
He always got clean carcasses well shot and filed dressed and I got quality product back.

I have been in some butcher shops that I wouldn't let cut my dog food.

Hey even a butcher has to make a decent living, so I don't complain about the price when I'm enjoying the great steaks.

Thanks REDFROG! its hard explaining to people the differences between a $55 dollar job and a $115 dollar job...gotta worry about cuts not the price! i have seen and experienced $55 dollar jobs and trust me it was fed to the dog noone would eat it...

they do a really good job there where i go. they have people come from all over around to have them to work on it ..you may find a hair ina pack every once in a while and when i say a hair i mean a hair... i could do it myself but short on time at times.

Last edited:
"You get what you pay for"- Well, sometimes you do and sometimes you don't. Bernie Madoff's customers paid a lot of money to get scammed. They did not get what they paid for. Not saying anybody is a scammer, just saying you don't always get what you pay for. Sometimes you get something on sale or a deal that is worth more than the price. Sometimes yes, you get what you pay for, sometimes more, sometimes less.
Years ago there was a saying in the business: "Everybody wants caviar, but they want cheap caviar."

Last edited:
i have mine done when i am out of state.we had two done in utah ( richfield) people from utah will know where. mine was blood shot pretty bad because it was hit by somebody on one back leg and i took out the frount shoulders with the 270. my hunting buddy got a 4x3 also. about a month later i get a call from a game warden from utah about 8 pm ca. time. i thought it was a buddy pulling a joke but when he ask if i had a deer done at that prosesser, i knew it was for real. he asked if i had gotten all of my meet and i said there wasn't much to get.. about a month later i read that they busted the guy and a bunch of people for a bunch of stuff. when we go to wyoming we have our deer and antelope done at boone webers place in baggs and have never had bad job super people and do a wonderfull job,

The website below lists venison processors by region. If you are donating your venison to feed the hungry they do not charge (at least not in my region). If you are keeping your venison they do charge but their fees are very reasonable by some standards. In my area they charge from $50.00 - $65.00 per deer. I have used a couple of them in recent years and they both did a great job.

www.VenisonDonation.com

Most of the people I hunt with know how to do their own and do so. Including their own sausage. One too many stories about good clean trim getting thrown in with blood shot to suit any of them. Or me.
Always wonder if they realize that some customer just don't come back when they do that.

Last edited:
i do my own.i separate all the bigger muscle groups to make jerky the rest goes in to hamburger and sausage.jerky sure is good when out hunting.

Back