Huskemaw Scopes

schne3

Anybody out there have any good info on the Huskemaw scopes? I have thaught about purchasing one and was wondering if anybody had any good or bad reviews.

I looked up the info on best of the west website and I have seen an ad on long range website. Price is around $1100

I believe they want you to send them the rifle and they will develop a round for it and match the scope to the trajectry of the bullet. Maybe that is a added cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't mind telling me where can you get a leupold tactical for $550 I would appreciate it turnminsideout ?

I doubt I will hear from anybody that can tell who sells leupolds that cheap.

Last edited:
the main thing that the huskemaw does that others do not is the 1/3 moa adjustments as opposed to 1/4.

I personally will use my leupolds and nikons for now with drop comp turrets if you have a older coin slot leupold you can make your own for about 30 bucks

I would question the quality of the glass in comparison to the competitors

but you bet shoot a lot of ammo beyond 600 yds to be worth it.

then I would question just how much I would use all the features it has?

Thanks guys.
LR shooting and or hunting is not for everyone.
FWIW-Huskemaw and NF come from the same manufacturing company in Japan. NF assembles there here in the states, the Huskemaw's are assembled there I believe.

Originally Posted By: xphunterThanks guys.
LR shooting and or hunting is not for everyone.
FWIW-Huskemaw and NF come from the same manufacturing company in Japan. NF assembles there here in the states, the Huskemaw's are assembled there I believe.

I have been looking at a new scope for a new rifle. And I have been looking for information about the Huskemaw scope. I have also heard the same thing you just posted about the mfr. However the problem with optics from Japan is that they are ordered to specifications. So just because two different compamies scopes come from the same plant, that does not mean that the parts and scope are manufactured to the same specifications. I am not knocking the huskemaw here because I truly do not know. However it is misleading to say that just because a scope is made at the same plant that it would be of the same quality. Tom.

hogghead hit it on the well, hoghead - think of Corvette and Vega - same company but very different quality. One is still here and the other is long gone.

Good point, Tom, and very true.

Ernie you know you'll never convince me that ANY magical reticled scope will do a single thing better than a duplex and a target turret in the right hands. I do respect your opinion, however. And Steve's also. If you like it, that's all that matters.

On a side note, and not to hijack the thread, as I do feel it is interelated:

We had the conversation a while back, about my feelings on the the Best of the West crew. Well, it turns out, a Teamster who I've known for many years(avid hunter and gun guy), was recently out in Wyoming hunting. He hunted with an outfitter who also hosted the BOTW crew. He told me in no uncertain terms that they were both appalled at the amount of game the BOTW guys wounded. So much so, that they were asked to leave and not come back. This guy told me this right out of the blue, without me ever mentioning such. Knowing the man, I believe he was telling the truth. I honestly do not remember the name of the outfitter now, but would not post it anyway........

Tom,
Correct.
That is one of the things that make NF and Huskemaw a completely different company.

Are they the new guys on the block-yes.
Untested in some ways because of lack of time? Yes.
That is one of the reasons I intentionally mounted the Huskemaw on the 338 Lapua Magnum Improved (338 AX) XP-100.
What better test than a cartridge that the majority of shooters do not use.

As for wounding game, I do not automatically assume that is the fault of the scope.

You are correct. I do not automatically assume it is the fault of the scope either. And that is a valid point.

However, I still do not condone the message they portray.......

Go to greybullprecision.com and look at what John has done. He was the mastermind behind those long range shooting rigs that the Best Of the west are using. I know people that have the Huskemaw and love them , they do work good . John can take a factory rifle mount his scope set up and shoot with anyone. I sent him my Winchester, he put a hs stock on it worked up a load and one of his scopes, it is an awesome shooting gun. I wanted a Christensen arms but for what I am into mine now i can't beat it.

Put 5 more rounds through the AX recently and my buddy Wayne shot 5 rounds too. This is the first time I have fired ten rounds before cleaning it.
Pic is at 100 yards off of a bi-pod.

From a clean barrel, the first shot is high (as has been the habit of this barrel), then the next four looked pretty nice.
Not counting the fouler shot, the four-shot group size was .432
This about the same size group I shot last time I shot it. Seated bullet a tad further out today and dropped the charge to 97.0 grains of Retumbo. Bullet is 300 grain SMK. I think it is going to be a shooter
laugh.gif

338Ax_4-shot.jpg

IMG_4528.jpg

Back