Remington Model 7 Predator VS. Savage Model 10 Predator ....WHICH ONE ??

I have not had the opportunity to shoot the Model 7 predator, but I used to have a 700 CDL in .222 and it was an amazing rifle. However, I still feel that the Savage is a superior firearm. The hand-forged barrels and low tolerances for their actions produce greater consistency in accuracy and reliability.
As far as your concerns about the Model 10 Predator specifically:

1. The Accutrigger is the cleanest breaking trigger that I have ever pulled and has zero creep (even better than the Timney and Jewell custom triggers that I have shot).

2. The first rifles of this model were available as a combo with a Simmons scope, then Simmons was bought by Leoupold, so they now use Pentax scopes for the combos. They are probably ok scopes, but I would go with optics from a third party. The early models were not available with the detachable magazine.

3. The tang mounted safety on the Model 10 Predator is wider than that on older Savage models, I have had no trouble working mine, even with heavy gloves on.

4. A good coyote rifle doesn't need the super heavy bull barrel of a long range varmint rifle or benchrest rifle, yet does need to be heavy enough to help stabilize for the occasional dog that hangs up. The Model 10 Predator is light enough to pack around all day and has rock solid balance.

I agree with the others that you need to shoot both the Remington Predator and the Savage Predator before you buy one. Just looking at the lower end models isn't a very good representation.

A buddy of mine was breaking in his Savage 10 Precision Carbine .223 and is getting sub .25" groups @ 100 yards. This is with a load that was developed for another rifle. I have not seen a new Savage yet that won't shoot. I am thinking about a Precision Carbine myself. They did a good job with the new Accu-Stock.

I will not be able to shoot either of them before I buy. I always do alot of research and read others opinions, it has always served me well in the past. I know I can not go wrong with either choice as they are both great guns from what I have read and researched in reviews. I hope to check out both guns and the CS next week. Hopefully after that I will have a better opinion of which I wanna get.

my opinion is if you look for accuracy and tight grouping
than savage is the good choice .but even most of the people
say that the accu-trigger is the best , I dont agree.
the new trigger x mark pro from remington is better and
beleive me, i am not a remington fan. I have tried both and no dought . the savage have a free floating barrel that give it accuracy and stability .also the fact that it got a medium size barrel is a advantage for heating problem.

I realy have both and every time i get out for hunting,
i pic the remington 7 .243 very light ,smoot trigger and also very accurate . may be a little fancy with factory but
not a big deal .so before spending money on a riffle that is not what you are looking for hold them both in your hand.
I realy think it's deppend on the need of the shooter,maybe
we should not realy compare those two guns...

CGR, I'm sure you wrote a great reply to this post, but I can't read it for looking at your avatar.
drool.gif

To the OP, I've got a Savage 12, my brother has a Model 7. My 12 is more accurate. Probably can't go wrong with either one.

nyefmake,
I'm right in the middle of the same quest as you. I've been to Bass Pro to look at the Savages but not the Rems. I think I'm sold on the Savage because of the accuracy of the guns. I bought both of my son's Savages in 243 for deer and both rifles shoot very well. It's funny though, because I own 3 Rugers. One in 300WM, one in 270 and the other is my current predator rifle a 220 swift. My swift has the heavy barrel and laminated stock, just to heavy for what I want. I have my swift sold to a friend of mine who is just starting out predator hunting so now I have the funds to get the Savage. I'm going to go with the 223 and most likely the Nikon predator scope. like you, I also like the camo on that model.

Jimbo

Well, I finally was able to check out both the remington model 7 predator and the savage model 10 predator along with both the 3x9 & 4.5x14 nikon coyote special. All were awsome. I know I have read where the savage is very accurate. I do not like the detachable magazine. It is a little barrel heavy ( I am sure the scope would help balance it ), but since I will be trecking alot with it, it might be more than I like. I always liked tang safetys, but I do not really care for the 3 position safety. Compared to the remington, it looks like a much cheaper gun even though the savage costs more. I was also shocked how light the trigger was. Way too soft for me, almost scary soft. Blowing on it would almost make it go off I am thinking.........As for the remington, it balanced perfectly ( scope not on ). Fit and finnish was alot better than the savage. I like the remingtons safety as well. The remington trigger was just right I feel as well. Its much closer to what I am used to. I think it would make an excellent "walking" predator gun as some of the areas I plan on hunting are 2-3 miles into the woods. So as far as the gun goes, I am pretty much sold on the remington model 7 predator. The savage may be mor accurate, but the remington will be right there with is from what I haveread and seen from others on here.............As far as the scope, the 3x9 was probably the clearest scope I have ever seen. I liked the circles after seeing them first hand. I know it will take some getting used too as its certainly different. The 3x9 had finer cross hairs as well. The 4.5x14 had much heavier crosshairs and was just as clear. The circles were also a little heavier as well, which I liked. I would like the 4.5x14, but I am not sure how it would balance on the model 7. I am thinking the model 7 predator and the 3x9 coyote would be a great setup. What do you guys think ???........ I definately wanna go with a .223 by the way. Hunting in Northern PA, where most of my shots will be 150 yards and much closer ( more likely 50-100yds ), I think this will be a great choice. Its readily available and there are many bullets and options ( cheap to shoot as well).

Last edited:
I think the model 7 with the 3x9 in 223 is about perfect.

I went with the 700 VTR in 223 and it is a shooter for sure. The new Remington trigger is pretty darn sweet if you ask me. Perfect right out of the box.

Back