best factory 22-250 rifle for the money, thinking of adding another

atvalaska

has to have a bull barrel, wood/lam stock and what twist & why,i have a idea but i'd like to here whats out there, this is for wolfes,yotes etc, the 22-250 i have now ONLY likes 40gr moly v-max's and i'd like to try other wts...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: atvalaskahas to have a bull barrel, wood/lam stock and what twist & why,i have a idea but i'd like to here whats out there, this is for wolfes,yotes etc, the 22-250 i have now ONLY likes 40gr moly v-max's and i'd like to try other wts...

I prefer cow or heifer barrels myself..

Definition for "bull barrel" : A type of rifle designed for target shooting, characterized by the total, or almost total, lack of taper/contour. Bull barrels have been used for over a century in long range (1000 yd) big bore shooting. They are now also popular among small bore and benchrest marksmen. Bull barrels are able to withstand many shots in succession and provide steadying-weight, which is why they find favor with varmint hunters and benchrest competitors. Sometimes referred to as a 'varmint barrel'.
"there that should clear this of farmers :)"

I like savage BVSS
1-9 twist barrel....... laminated stock.... accutrigger
most of em shoot really well..... Not a ton of money

r

i have savage's, well top of there line 17 hmr..i agree it shoots real well...why the 1-9 twist?

Last edited:
For the money Savage 112v Low Profile.Stainless,laminated,free floated,pillar bedded,Acctrigger.Deadly accurate.You cant beat them!

What do you have that only likes 40gr bullets ?

22-250 is a fast round, typical twist is what, 1-14.
Info rrom reloading books, a faster twist can spin the bullet too fast when loading for high velocity.

My tikka throws 55gr bullets into a excellent raged hole group, its 1-14, but standard barrel contour.

Originally Posted By: atvalaskai have savage's, well top of there line 17 hmr..i agree it shoots real well...why the 1-9 twist?

The faster twist will enable you to shoot longer heavier bullets with better BC's, which means longer distance shots more accurately, with a 1 in 9 twist you could stabalize up to 70-75 gr bullets depending on their construction. A downside is you may not be able to shoot smaller bullets such as the 40 gr, with thin jacketed bullets the barrel may spin the bullet so fast that the jacket will separate from the core and the bullet will disintegrate not far from the barrel. I would not worry about this if you're planning on keeping your old 22-250 to shoot the 40 gr'ers.

bull barrel....laminated stock....for wolves,coyotes,etc(?)....personally that sounds to heavy for me for a calling rifle...you can still achieve big-bughole accuracy from a regular contour barrel plus they feel alive between ur hands...i do alot of walk'n when call'n & a heavy rifle gets dreary for me ...but that's me.

I'll second that! Finest overall rifle for the money that I've seen coupled with incredible accuracy. All you gots to do is adjust the trigger to your likin and you are good to go. I love shootin mine!

Originally Posted By: ilmoI like savage BVSS
1-9 twist barrel....... laminated stock.... accutrigger
most of em shoot really well..... Not a ton of money

r

Dang good shooter, but it's heavy. 12+lb. Sold it an bought a barrel for the Encore, turned it into a shooter, but still to heavy. 8+lb. Jumped the wagon an just ordered a XS7 in 243. 6 1/2lb. Plus, no more bi-pods. I'm a reformed sticks man now. Thinkin I can handle toten that one around all day. Now, just getin it to shoot dime size groups. I can't wait!

I just shot 5 3 shot groups with Nosler 55gr and a healthy load of Varget in my Savage model 12 VLP in 243. All 5 groups were well under 1/2" with the WORST being a .406" but the sucker is heavy at around 12 lbs. However because it shoots so well I'll just suck it up and haul it around.

just reread the initial post on 22-250. I also have a Savage VLP in 22-250 that is an extremely good shooter. Highly recommend these rifles.

Last edited:
Buster, Thanks for that!! I actaully thought someting was wrong with my gun, 40gr Hornaday moly's shoot excellent from my Savage, put a 55 in and its not even close.

Back