Can you use a BDC reticle for rangefinding?

SDCoyoteCaller

I know the mildot reticle was designed for rangefinding, but can you use a BDC type of reticle for the same purpose. I am looking at getting a Nikon Coyote Special scope, and was just wondering if it had any rangefinding capabilities to help me determine the range of a coyote before pulling the trigger. If so, please explain how it would work. Thanks alot.

Vortex has there scopes set to do so...
The Viper's, set at highest setting. If you can fit the deers body in between the cross hair, and the second dot. Your looking at about 400 yards....

Last edited:
Almost all good scopes have some type of range finding in the reticle. Leupold
has had them since the 60's in most of their duplex reticles. No one bothers
to read the instructions.

Unfortunatly all the scope subtension rangefinding efforts are not very accurate. Animals are different sizes and have more or less fur. Not a big deal at shorter ranges but; the longer the range, the more important the exact range is. A 25 yard error at 300 is maybe 1/2", at 500 it is maybe 2", and at 1000 easily 8".

Jack

I always calculate reticle-rangefinding systems with all my reticles. I'm running right around 3% error out to ~500 yds. on antelope. There is some inherent error with reticle-rangefinding but it's certainly better than guessing.

All reticle-rangefinding (and downrange zeroing for that matter) is based on the mil-dot mil-ranging formula. Here it is in it's most basic form--

tgt. size (") x range of reticle subtension measurement (usually 100 yds.) / reticle subtension (") / "mil-reading" (decimal equivalent) = range (yds.)

Looks complicated but super simple to apply. Here's an example of how any 2 stadia points can be used for reticle-rangefinding. Couple years ago i was out with a buddy hunting coyotes when a herd of antelope came by. My buddy was using the Leupold Duplex reticle in his 4.5-14x VX-III. On pg. 100 of the '09 catalog it tells u that the subtension between the plex post tips is 5.4 inch per hundred yds. @ 14x. I knew this since this is the std. Leupold uses for their "RES" system (which really isn't that great compared to the "modified mil-ranging formula" [MMR] detailed here, BTW). I told my buddy to bracket the buck in his optic at 14x and tell me what it occupied between x-hair and plex post tip (2.7 IPHY). I lasered the buck at 500 or so. He told me about 110%--1.1 decimal equivalent. 15" is the accepted back to brisket measurement of a mature buck. Now just substitute all the variables in the equation above and we have this--

15 x 100 / 2.7 / 1.1 = 505 yds.

Later the antelope moved out to a lasered ~700 yds. I told him to do the same. He said ~80% (0.8 DE). now we have--

15 x 100 / 2.7 / 0.8 = 694

Admittedly there was some luck in that last calculation, and it can easily be seen just how lucky once the equation is thoroughly understood backwards and forwards.

Just yesterday i was out hunting coyotes with this 3.0 MOA (3.14 IPHY) reticle--

IMG_0778.jpg

There were a bunch of doe deer running around out there and i thought to reticle-range one of them using this reticle. I lasered one at 480 yds. and it appeared to occupy ~105% of one of the 3.14 IPHY subtensions. So once again figuring 16" b-b for a mature doe deer--

16 x 100 / 3.14 / 1.05 = 485

Your reticle is not spaced at repeating intervals (like a mil-dot or my reticle above). This actually makes it even easier to apply but harder to explain. If u look here- www.ottllc.com/specialtypistols/sp20.pdf under Item C) Reticle Rangefinding u'll see the system of reticle-rangefinding that can be established with a "trajectory-specific" ballistic reticle. But u need to know the subtension of every stadia point along that reticle to establish a system. That reticle has reticle-rangefinding written all over it. Get the '10 edition of the Nikon catalog. Nikon has the best subtension pgs. of all the catalogs IMO, including all the subtensions of that reticle u're using.

U can understand all the geometery in the world about mil-dots and other MOA-based systems, but this equation above (and the inversley proportional nature of 2nd focal plane reticles [like the 1 u have]) actually defines the practical application of reticle-rangefinding and downrange zeroing better and more simply than any other system out there...once u understand the formula detailed above. And besides that it's almost as fun to play with as shooting itself...IMO!

sscoyote,

Thanks a million for the detailed explanation. That will help out a ton. I can totally understand that system now that you have explained it so well. I will request Nikon's catalog, and start applying the system. Thanks again.

No problem Mark. Glad to be of some help. Another advantage to the system is that u can calculate any of the unknowns in the equation once the other variables r known--"reverse-milling" as it's called. At a thousand yd. shoot a couple years ago, somebody wanted to know what the size of the tgt. was. We actually calcd. it to an accuracy level of .3" using a mil-dot reticle at a power other than calibrated by measuring it on a known size tgt. at 500 yds. Basically we reverse-milled the subtension, then reverse-milled the tgt. size. Did that at another shoot this last year that the lasers wouldn't bounce off of, and it also worked. Pretty amazing what can be accomplished with this stuff sometimes. Takes just the right sort though--a shooter that has a bit more than a passing interest in mathematics.

A Bullet Drop Compensator or Compensation is a carp shoot in the majority of instances, IMO. Compensator and compensation are arguably quite different to begin with. The first implies an automated accurate means and the second is a function of making educated guesstimates and applying an adjustment accordingly. The first is totally wrong unless strict X* conditions are valid and the second, compensation, is only valid IF to start with the manufacturer going beyond capitalist hype.

To answer the question, can you use a BDC reticle for range finding? NO, not usually, all bets are off...Even with advanced designed reticles you still have some investigation and homework to do. Ive one of these type scopes. With all its bells and whistles its still not an accurate BDC reticle, its not magical on its own. I find a best match ammo for it and it gets closer to accurate. Its darn good at range guesstimating though at any magnification: PA ACSS-HUD

And as it has been said, a simple 30-30 aka Duplex reticle can be a BDC to the extent of your abilities. Read the associated manual to get a grip on its use. Including, at what power it serves as a usable BDC, (4x). Some mid range $$ scopes incorporate the Duplex Reticle that invalidates its original intent as a result of the range of the scope magnification. Another carp shoot.

Back