Virginia Bobcat

VAFoxhunter

.17 Ackely Hornet-$1100
Foxpro FX5 $500
Smile on my face after killing my first bobcat-Priceless

P1020637.jpg

P1020636.jpg

After 12 years of hunting predators I finally connected on my first bobcat.

Doesn't look like the little 17 Ackley Hornet did much fur damage. Full body mount I presume. I am happy for you Matt, and proud to have been apart of spending all that money with you.

I love my Ackley Hornet like no other rifle I have ever owned.

Here is the matched pair of Ackley Hornets that Matt and I had built together, Browning Micro Hunter A Bolts.One of them is what did the job tonight.
ABoltsx2.jpg

I have been hunting this farm for coyotes (not allowed to shoot fox on this farm). I made one stand just before dark and headed back towards the truck. My wife called on the way to the truck to say she was going to be home late. Lucky me time for another stand. I have been eyeing this one spot waiting for a south wind. It is a cutover that is surrounded by fields on three sides and a pond on the backside. I set up out in a winter wheat field with the FoxPro out to my right. The first sound I played was the jackrabbit distress (3 minutes) followed by the snow hare distress (3 minutes) I switched to the Foxpro cottontail #1. About a minute in I picked up eyes coming in from the down wind side. She was coming in at a pretty good pace. I was alone so I had to attach the lightforce to rifle after I picked up eyes. She hits the breaks for about 30 seconds while I was getting the light set. Then she made a b-line for the call. I thought it was a grey fox the way it charged in to the call. I shot the fox about 20 yards from the call. I was using a 25 grain berger bullet. One hole no exit DRT.

Man that is a seriously sweet pair of rifles. No doubt about it. Of all the rifles Ive had, and all the rifles I want, I still havent gotten a hold of a micro a bolt yet.

congratulations on finally getting your first bobcat. it's beautiful. i can certainly relate. been chasing fur for six years now and i get a few yotes and foxes but ol TomBob hasn't graced my stands yet. or at least i havent spotted him. i hunt bobcats hard in the 10week season we have. got two more days here.

way to go man! good shooting.

Back