50 BMG vs Coyote?

stealthman

Maybe this has been brought up before, but every time I go into the local gun store, they have this monster AR-50 sitting on the counter. Seems like everyone in there has a buddy of a buddy with one that shoots targets, but no animal stories. Anyone have one of these and actually shoot something like a coyote or Pdog with it? Any runners...lol

I dont have one but i have a few PD hunting videos that have them shooting them at all differnent ranges , it is something to see for sure.As soon as i can i will have one to play with it is high on my list of wants. Thanks Billy

Originally Posted By: ironworkerHey Pahntr 760 where and how old were you when you witnessed the effects of a .50 on a human ?

I've seen footage of Marine snipers in Afghanistan using them and it is very unpleasant to be on the receiving end.

Originally Posted By: ironworkerHey Pahntr 760 where and how old were you when you witnessed the effects of a .50 on a human ?

22 years old (3 years ago) at an intel brief while deployed to AB Balad, Iraq. Why would you ask?

My .270 Win is enough or me. I admit it would be fun to shoot a few rounds from one at a range, thats about it.

At least it would be an ethical shot. I'm not looking to see any hardcore carnage, but if I did own one, I would have to shoot something other than paper with it. I figured someone would jump on here and say "yeah, got a pdog last spring at 1400 yards." Carnage is obvious, but there has to be some amazing shots with one out there (other than on humans). I heard a local legend about some guys who were shooting elk in Idaho with one from about 1800 yards. They took a shot at an elk in a group, but it stayed standing, they took another shot, still no luck, after the third or fourth, the elk went down. When they went over to get it, there were a few dead elk and they got a huge fine from the wildlife cops. Incidents like this supposedly led to Idaho's regulation of game rifles requirement to be under 18 lbs. Not sure if it's true, but it does sound possible.

I've had 4 50 bmg rifles. 2 Ar50's 1 Barrett 99 single shot and 1 Barrett 82A-1 semi auto.
I Have shot several thousand rounds of 50bmg and while the bullets will punch big holes in stuff, they do not have the velocity to cause the carnage a hi speed round such as a 22-250 does.I've killed a total of 8 animals with my 50's. A p-dog at 752 yards or so. Head shot, high. Took the top of his head off and just tipped him over. The 4 rock chucks were similarly unspectacular. Much more splat factor with a 6mm and 87 V-Max's. No carnage at all. Knocked a few pigeons off some rocks with API's, while there was a nice blast, there was still mostly whole pigeons falling into the ravine.
Unless you have a very frangible bullet, the bullet from a 50 on soft tissue will just plow through.
Most of the You Tube videos claiming to show 50 hits on terrorist are in fact varmint rifle rounds hitting rock chucks. This video is a prime example, completely miss labeled.

I've heard stories from some marine buddys and it makes a persons head pop like a balloon.

That's overkill. Plus it costs out the butt to shoot...

Back