Bullets for a 1/8 Twist 20" AR-15

dzlfarmboy

What are you guys that have a 1/8 twist having the best luck with. Im am trying to find a better round for my 20" Stainless 1/8 Twist DPMS barrel.

Currently shoot 60gr Vmax Black hills but looking for something a lil better.

Thanks Brett

A 1:8 should stabalize a very wide range of bullet weights with no problems. It also lets you use long, heavy bullets with high ballistic coefficient numbers for long range wind bucking ability.
Do you handload?

Nice rifle by the way, is this your first AR? They are addicting.

No handloading, and yes this is my first AR, not sure if my barrel is still breaking in or if I need to try a different round, but would like to have some tighter groups.

This may come off sounding crazy but some light per caliber bullets (I realize you are using 60's)won't stabalize well until after 100yds. It is not uncommon for some rifle/barrel combo's to print better groups at 200yds then at 100.
That is in part why some smaller .224 bullets are flatbased and not boattails.

And welcome to Black Rifle Disease. We need some pics.

What would be a good 100yd and closer bullet as my zero is 100yds and most of my shots are 50-100yds on Foxes.

Here's a pic

IMG00012.jpg

Originally Posted By: dzlfarmboyWhat would be a good 100yd and closer bullet as my zero is 100yds and most of my shots are 50-100yds on Foxes.

Here's a pic

IMG00012.jpg

Give the Rem HP/PL 55gr bullet a try. I've shot a couple greys w/ this bullet over Xterminator and it's very accurate, very fur friendly (YMMV). Both shots inside of 40yds,both drt, both shot exited, both exits were just a little larger than the entry. I know had I been shooting my typical 55gr Vmax load, these two fox would've been cut in half.

Sweet looking rig, what scope mount are you using?

If you do not handload the only way to find a cartridge that performs better in your rifle would be to buy a couple of different boxes from different companies in different grain weights and put then on paper and compare the results.
Once you find what your barrel prefers buy a ton of them from the same lot number for the best results.
Your barrel should like a good heavy bullet but if you are trying to save hides you may want to try a light frangible bullet.

Originally Posted By: kohSweet looking rig, what scope mount are you using?

If you do not handload the only way to find a cartridge that performs better in your rifle would be to buy a couple of different boxes from different companies in different grain weights and put then on paper and compare the results.
Once you find what your barrel prefers buy a ton of them from the same lot number for the best results.
Your barrel should like a good heavy bullet but if you are trying to save hides you may want to try a light frangible bullet.

Thanks, Yeah thats the game plan, I got a box of 75gr Hollow point Black hills coming and a box of 50gr Ultramax Nosler ballistic tip to try on paper for now.

It's a Burris PEPR 1 piece mount

Last edited:
DZLFarmboy, i just got a rra predator pursuit + tried some hornady 55gr vmax's. think i found my load i'st try! barely over 1 in at 200. good enough for me.

I've had my best groups using Nosler 55 gr. Ballistic Tips out of a 1:8 twist Bushmaster Predator. It will shoot sub half inch groups at 100 yds. when all things come together right!

My Bushy Predator shoots the black hills 52gr hpbt match bullets very well. You might give them a try if you can find some.

My 1:8 20" SS barrels shoots 55gr Win pointed soft points with 22 grains of H322 into holes that measure .33 inches @ 100yds.

It like the 52 grain HP from black hills too, if I recall. Probably the same as Double D mentioned.

60 gr Vmax and Ballistic tips are the most accurate bullets in my 20" 8 twist DPMS. It may just be the Black Hills load, I handload and use Hodgdon Benchmark and Ramshot Tac with these bullets. The 60 gr Vmax is a real favorite with a lot of shooters on this site.

Ok I have some results with the new bullets I tried out, and my barrel really likes the 50gr Ultramax Noslers. The 75gr Black Hills HP's were better than the 60 v-max but not good enough.

100yd 5 Shot Group 50gr Ultramax Noslers
utf-8BSU1HMDAwMzkuanBn.jpg

Another 100yd 5 Shot Group 50gr Ultramax Noslers

utf-8BNTBnciBVbHRteCBub3NsZXIuanBn.jpg

100yd 5 Shot Group Black Hills 75gr Hollow Points

utf-8BNzVnciBibGFjayBoaWxscyBIUC5qc.jpg

And this was the last 5 shot group of 60gr V-max from the other day.

Since this group I had added a set of Yellow JP enterprise springs to my Bill Springfield trigger and It has a nice smooth no creep 2.5lb trigger pull now that I really like.

BlackBerry023.jpg

Hopfully I can find just the right load for my new Remington R-15 CS that I ordered, and this one my friend will be buying.

Quote:100yd 5 Shot Group 50gr Ultramax Noslers

Well, that's a pretty nice group. My D-Tech will just barely beat that with the best ammo I've ever found, and I was seeing the same thing you are (horizontal stringing with near-zero vertical).

What did that measure, around .6"?

You have any wind that day?

Quote:It is not uncommon for some rifle/barrel combo's to print better groups at 200yds then at 100.

No, seriously, it's VERY uncommon. I'd be looking at parallax error if I was seeing that. Bullets don't "self-correct" to strike the bullseye, and once they depart the trajectory needed to strike the bullseye, they get worse with longer range.

Now, if you have the objective adjustment set correctly for 200 yards, and shoot at 100, then 200, without changing it, you might be onto something that's "not uncommon".

Last edited:
Evil Lurker..... I just had a tape measure with me and I held it up there and both were under 5/8".

No wind yesterday evening, was pretty calm before we got 3 more inches of snow last nite.

Back