O/U and S/S Shotgun?

howling

I have a 1187 for bird hunting and was wondering if you were going to use a side by side or an over and under would there be any advantages between these two guns or are these just preference? I have a 12 ga. Fox from back in the 50-60's in 95% shape and was wondering if I should take it hunting because I always scratch my guns it seems. I have never shot my Fox S/S ever.

I believe you have the Savage Fox? Heavy but solid gun. My favorite knock about SxS was a Savage 311. I've had a good number of SxS's and a few O/U. Don't care for the O/U's. Got rid of my last one two yearts ago. Very nice gun, Browning Citori in 20ga but like the feel of SxS's better. Most people using doubles like the O/U's and I think it's the single sight plane. If your in a duck blind, the SxS would have an definate advantage in that it doesn't need to open as far to get the shells out. A big plus for both for me is I carry my gun open and with the chambers MTY. I am more comfortable that way and have plenty of time to load, I use pointing dogs and do not shoot birds I walk up.

I'll say this about O/U's, I'd rather one of them than most any modern pump or auto. There are some very nice one's around. BTW, this is just my opinion, other's are gonna like the O/U's better and you should consider their opinion even if it is wrong! lol

It is in such nice shape and it also has a single trigger. I been using my 1187 and afraid I might like my sxs better if I ever shoot it...lol. When they get to a certian age and todays loads are so much more potient. I just bought it about 7 years ago for a collectable.

All my upland hunting is with a Ithaca M100 SxS. Everyone has an O/U but the real upland guys own a SxS.....
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: 5spdAll my upland hunting is with a Ithaca M100 SxS. Everyone has an O/U but the real upland guys own a SxS.....
thumbup.gif

You da man! YOU DA MAN!!!!!

I hunt with all four. For close in fast shooting grouse and woodcock I really like a SxS. Out in the open , Pheasant and Huns I find myself picking out a O/U from the safe. And for out in the salt marsh or upland with steel I have an 870 and CD auto, both have short barrel and stocks that fit like my doubles and am very comfortable with them also.

AWS

I've ended up with probably 10 12ga shotguns for some reason, I hardly ever use one. When I do, I have more fun with my O/U. I've also got a SBS that I can't hit the ground I'm standing on with.

I really like and shoot well with Beretta O/U guns. I have a couple of those now and an older Weatherby 20 ga. O/U also. I've diddled with SxS's over the years and like the small gauge side by's but really dislike the 12 gauge in that configuration. Overall I'll take an O/U in a double gun. My pumps are old Remington 870 Wingmasters with the little rat tail slide handle and my semi-auto's are by Benelli.

I started out with pumps. Then a couple of SS, I probably shot the SS most of any shotgun I've had. I thought I needed the OU and traded off my SS. Regreted it ever since. I shot the OU Winchester on 2 hunts and decieded I'd made a mistake and traded it. Since then I've got a pump and a auto. I like both of them but I still miss the old SS.

My Old SS was a double trigger, it would fire the (front trigger) modified barrel first and the back trigger would fire the full choked barrel. Or visa versa. I think the SS or the OU will make a better shot out of you by the time you figue out you don't have the 3rd shot and if your like me you mostly waste the 3rd shot anyway. I always did just fine with the SS and like I said I still miss it. You should give the SS a season and see how you like it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 5spdAll my upland hunting is with a Ithaca M100 SxS. Everyone has an O/U ne has an O/U but the real upbut the real upland guys own a SxS.....
thumbup.gif

That only applies if the SxS is a 16g.
grin.gif

I partial to the 311 also and the full side on mine
shoots as good as my 1300 win turkey with a turkey
tube at least with 6's and 8's....and they can be had
around here for around $200 to $250 for the 12ga.. I
couldn't tell you why some prefer sxs or O+U I guess
it's what you like (try both to see)......

Try it out on clays and see where your best scores are from. Fit of a shotgun is probably MUCH more important than the action/bbl's config. If they all fit you well, and hit where you point them, it's mostly a matter of preference. I love my SxS's, but I always like what nobody else uses! LOL! I shoot a longbow instinctively too! If you look at serious competitors in the shotgun sports where points mean cash, none use them. O/U's and semi's rule there. Pumps are usually in between the 2 groups.

PS - my guns ALWAYS get scratched and rust spots, so I'm with you there!

Originally Posted By: NdIndyI've ended up with probably 10 12ga shotguns for some reason, I hardly ever use one. When I do, I have more fun with my O/U. I've also got a SBS that I can't hit the ground I'm standing on with.

I think you need to drop your SxS off at my place so it is used to shoot birds/rabbits instead of dirt.....
w00t.gif

Originally Posted By: denjahnOriginally Posted By: 5spdAll my upland hunting is with a Ithaca M100 SxS. Everyone has an O/U ne has an O/U but the real upbut the real upland guys own a SxS.....
thumbup.gif

grin.gif

One in 16, one in 28 and one in 410!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: Don FischerOriginally Posted By: denjahnOriginally Posted By: 5spdAll my upland hunting is with a Ithaca M100 SxS. Everyone has an O/U ne has an O/U but the real upbut the real upland guys own a SxS.....
thumbup.gif

grin.gif

One in 16, one in 28 and one in 410!
thumbup.gif
There you go.

I couldn't get used to the SxS after learning with a pump gun. I've settled on Semi-Auto's Lucky be because I can't afford a SxS addiction!

Get that old gun out there and use it! Guns don't do ya any good in the safe unless you plan to sell it to make money.

Back