XP-100 Question

AzMike

I just picked up a XP-100R(Remington 600 bolt action in pistol form) for a javalina hunt. It has a rifle scope on it now. I am wondering if i should stay with a rifle scope or put a pistol scope on it. Does anybody else hunt with one of these? What do you do?

I don't see how a rifle scope could possibly work on an XP100, you won't have near enough eye relief. I could see bleeding eye brows in your future. I have a Leupold 2X handgun scope on my XP100 in 221 Fireball.

I had a XP-100 in 7-08 Rem that I used for IHMSA unlimited shooting. After I quit that sport (I SUCKED at it!) I mounted a 3-9 Weaver rifle scope on it just for the heck of it. Never bonked myself with it either, but I did keep it as far away from my eye as possible.

But there are so many good long eye relief handgun scopes out there now to choose from. I think that a nice 4X pistol scope on that gun would be just the ticket.

If you're gonna hunt with it, put a long eye relief scope on it.

I've got a XP center grip all pimped out including a 8.5-25x50 LR on it. But it only gets shot from a bench for dogs.

Im jealous, I have always wanted one of those to play with. If I can ever come across one in the 7-08 for a good price Im going to have one to play with.

What caliber is yours in and what stock is it in??

Guy

theres an outfit that makes a high center top mount that allows you to use a rifle scope, granted you shoot the gun a little different. but they do work

don't see how you could shoot it and keep it from having scope shadow without having it so close you'd dot your eye..post a pic of it, bet it looks weird with that long scope mounted on it..lol,

Here's a couple--

338 Lapua Improved (AXE)--
338AX2.jpg

And one of mine (6.5 WSM/6.5-20x Mk4/Holland's HUMR reticle)--
066_66.jpg

Of course the break is mandatory with the bigger cases, but for general purpose hunting--i also suggest the LER optics.

I don't have any pictures of it yet. Mine is the repeater model made one year only. It is in .223. The stock is a rear grip gray fiberglass stock. The scope on it now is A BSA Platinum 6.5x24. It was a bechrest shooter. The trigger breaks at about 8 ounces.

I have a few barrels.. for hunting when alot of movement takes place any of the pistols are not my first choice... The scopes are usually small with not alot of viewing area to begin with.. I switched to the red dot type scopes and it makes it a little easier I find.. I had an XP-100 in 7mm/08 Rem, why I ever sold that gun I'll never know, it was the only mistake I ever made wheelin' and dealin'..it was so accurate it was scary...even with the williams peep you could drill pop can at 100 yards like a lazer guided the bullet...that 7/08 would take on anything, it was the sweetest one ever. I don't know what this old brain was thinkin''..

Originally Posted By: creekhunterbet that 338 bucks!!
According to my buddy who owns it he says no, not really./ The breaks on SP's really tame them. I have 1 in 7-270 WSM that i used to kill a buck at 330 yds. several years ago and it has a 7 twist Pac Nor on it and it doesn't kick much either with the break--
Scan0001_0001.jpg

...and after switching to the McMillan stock. The troque of that 200 grainer at that twist rate was tearing the older HS-Precision apart--
022_22.jpg

ive run several rifle scopes on the xps, get a long eye relief and small caliburs you will be fine, 223 should be alright without a brake anything much over that you would want to brake it or just call the hospital ahead of time and tell them to save you a bed, it is a very common thing now adays people shooting extreme ranges with pistols like sscoyote and so on, shooting over 1k yards on prarie dogs and other little animals take a higher magnification scope Ron

Originally Posted By: AzMikeI just picked up a XP-100R(Remington 600 bolt action in pistol form) for a javalina hunt. It has a rifle scope on it now. I am wondering if i should stay with a rifle scope or put a pistol scope on it. Does anybody else hunt with one of these? What do you do?

Mike,
What type of hunting do you intend to do when Javelina hunting?
Stand, spot-n-stalk, etc.?
I use XP's and MOA's for the majority of my shooting and hunting, and currently all of my specialty handguns have riflescopes on them.
Most of my specialty pistols are braked now, but I shot my 6-284 XP for a number of years with riflescopes and it was not braked.
One is the type of riflescope you use, has a lot to do with it, as some rifle scopes have more eye relief than other.
The 338 AX is my XP-100. first loads were 103 grains of Retumbo with the 250 grain AB @ 2860 fps. Yes, it currently has a 5-20 Huskemaw scope.
Using a rifle scope on a SP is not for everyone, but I sure like them.
Here is an article that explains why I use them:
http://www.handgunhunt.com/promo/members...alty%20Handguns
Ernie Bishop

Originally Posted By: kunasjust call the hospital ahead of time and tell them to save you a bed,. Ron

Dang that was funny. Actually chuckled out loud on that 1. I think you're exactly right on this 1 Ron. Got a buddy that has a 4.5-14x FFII on a factory Savage Striker 22-250, and he got bit by the ocular...once. I still pull my eye away from the ocular until i see maybe 3/4ths the FOV, even with a break. But it's like anything else once u get used to it...but i bet there's not many out there that know that US Optics offers an ocular that gives a full 4" of eye relief on any of their optics. I'm gonna' be looking at that shortly. Can't imagine a better high-powered optic for a L-R SP than one of theirs. Oughtta' look pretty cool too, huh?

Originally Posted By: AzMikeThis is exactly the discussion I wanted. Thanks guys.

Let us know which way you decide to go.
Ernie

Back