My ghost did it again

PrairieMuffin

A few weeks ago I had stated I was having problems holding down a certain animal (I said cat) that has escaped from me 3 times & now the 4th.. this time he didn't even spring the trap he just left a print. Keeps pulling out of 1.5's and #3s.
The print isn't very good but I'm hoping you can help me figure it out. I tried my best to outline the print with sticks and the print is a bit on the trap jaw
DSCN0172.jpg

It rained last night when he had stepped in the mud, today it pretty much dried out.

When I placed my hand over the top of this print..his was wider then mine and the tops of the prints goes up as the bend in my fingers. This set isn't even near the others where I was having him run off from, I'm trapping this whole section and this is half way through it.

I forgot, what is your pan tension set at, I use 3lbs, I don't have any escapes since I went to 3 lbs. Some of mine are caught higher than the ankle. If they have the pads in, they shouldn't get out.

If this track is wider than your palm and goes to the second knuckle then it is either a large dog or a smaller lion and if you are targeting bobcats then I would say lion. If you have been losing it then almost for sure lion a dog would probably not fight the trap to hard.

Tactical my pan tension is set at 4lbs..if you notice in this picture he was standing facing what would be west and my trap is set n/s.

thinkinthebox hubs was with me and his jaw dropped when he seen this print. He looked and looked for claw marks and he couldn't find one.

Oklahoma swears we don't have lions...
unsure.gif

Oklahoma may be wrong and probably are the only track that is that large is that, or a great prianese dog that they use to protect sheep, good luck on the mystery let us know what you find. Are you trying to get cats or are these set for coons.

cat..that is actually a bait hole set if the pic would have been taken facing N/S you'd be able to see it.
I don't have any coon sets out now.

Thanks will do

From what I can make out PM, you have a lion your dealing with. good luck with that one, hope you start carrying a bigger gun. and if ya get that being watched feeling again, take it seriously and look around hard at anything and everything.

when I see the pic and read your discription, I first thought wolf, then you said no claw marks, I have seen both and am really thinking lion. good luck and post pics when ya finally nail it
thumbup.gif

I really should keep something bigger then the .17hmr on me..it looks mean though
cool.gif

I get that feeling so much though it's hard to pin point where it's even coming from.
We don't have wolves either.... so whatever it is it don't exist. Right?? That makes it a ghost
lol.gif

If I manage to win I'll post pics....
thumbup.gif

Next is the trail cam, I need to beg hubs into letting me set it out there and see if at least I can get pics of my ghost.

any ideas on how to make him stay put?

Originally Posted By: PrairieMuffinI really should keep something bigger then the .17hmr on me..it looks mean though
cool.gif

I get that feeling so much though it's hard to pin point where it's even coming from.
We don't have wolves either.... so whatever it is it don't exist. Right?? That makes it a ghost
lol.gif

If I manage to win I'll post pics....
thumbup.gif

Next is the trail cam, I need to beg hubs into letting me set it out there and see if at least I can get pics of my ghost.

any ideas on how to make him stay put? Slip a number four behind you smaller trap with a good tie down.

Whatever it is set out your trailcam and get a picture of it. It may just jump into your trap
smile.gif
. It looks like it is trap savey whatever it is.

Originally Posted By: PrairieMuffinI went with an MB 750 modified to meet OKs regulations
thumbup.gif

Had to remove the smaller one it was in the way.
Oklahoma only allows single & double spring.
angry.gif

Looks like you may have to use a really big drag with your MB750, and, locate someone who has some cat hounds. That approach(cat hounds) might resolve this problem a little quicker. You've got your self an interesting problem there. Just curious, what size trap would hold a mountain lion anyway? Great Pyrenees dogs like to roam when on duty. IF(big if) its one of those? Those sheep, or whatever its guarding, could be miles from you... More 2cts worth....................................................

The MB is on some REALLY REALLY BIG stakes...dbl staked at that.

You mean go looking for him on purpose
scared.gif

I'd walk right into the lions den.....and I would require someone who runs slower then myself.
lol.gif
I'm kidding.
Really I don't know anyone with hounds, and I'm not real sure what the legal laws are.
I have no idea what size of trap it takes to hold one.
If this MB won't there is nothing else I can try, due to jaw size. I figure I'll be trapping him till he just old and worn out finally just gives in.

I have trapped a Great Pyrenees before.. he's a porch guard, big ol' lovable polar bear (I call him)
He never fought the trap, he just waits for us to get there and whimpers a bit gives us a big thank you when he's released and off to the house. plus these don't look like his prints.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PrairieMuffinThe MB is on some REALLY REALLY BIG stakes...dbl staked at that.

You mean go looking for him on purpose
scared.gif

I'd walk right into the lions den.....and I would require someone who runs slower then myself.
lol.gif
I'm kidding.
Really I don't know anyone with hounds, and I'm not real sure what the legal laws are.
I have no idea what size of trap it takes to hold one.
If this MB won't there is nothing else I can try, due to jaw size. I figure I'll be trapping him till he just old and worn out finally just gives in.

I have trapped a Great Pyrenees before.. he's a porch guard, big ol' lovable polar bear (I call him)
He never fought the trap, he just waits for us to get there and whimpers a bit gives us a big thank you when he's released and off to the house. plus these don't look like his prints.

Can you use snares?

Ok I'll quit messing with your sets
tt2.gif
. its costing me a fortune in gas money to come out there and make you think your going crazy trying to catch something that doesn't exist
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: PrairieMuffin I would require someone who runs slower then myself.

Jeff I hope your wearing your nikes and not those city boy boots!
tt2.gif
lol.gif

Back