Remington Model 7 Predator VS. Savage Model 10 Predator ....WHICH ONE ??

nyefmaker

I want to put a Great Varmint/Predator Rifle together. I have always been a Ruger guy, but I like the camo versions Remington & Savage offer. I have never owned a rifle from either company. I never liked the idea of the accu-trigger on the Savage, and I always felt Remingtons were too expensive. Since Ruger does not make what I want, I have narrowed it down to these two great rifles. I have read reviews on each and both have their fans. If I get the Savage, I will probably just get the Combo. If I get the Remington, I will probably get the Nikon Coyote Special. I know the Remington & Scope will be of higher quality, but is that extra quality worth aprox. $400 ?? I will Only Buy ONE. I want to know what people have to say that own these two fine guns and why I should buy one or the other....................The primary use will be for coyotes. I am not set on a caliber yet ( am almost 100% sure on the .223 ) and I dont want this to be about caliber, but about the Guns Themselves............ I am an avid deer hunter, but want to try my hand at coyotes. I know I will stick with it as it will extend my hunting season and allow me to spend much more time outdoors............I am new to this forum and I thank you in advance for your imput.

Last edited:
I have the savage predator in 22-250 and like it a lot. It is a bit heavy tipping the scales at just over 9 lbs with scope though. I will say that it seems to shoot everything I feed it well. I haven't done a ton of load development, rather just put together a load that shoots well in my other 22-250 and called it good enough.

55grdogtown.jpg

From what I have read, Both Are Very Accurate. My shots will be mostly 200 yds and under with 300 yds being my max. Maybe this info will be helpful. Thanks for the PIC, Pic's Are Always Welcome. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: J_SchroederSavage all the way. Better trigger great shooting. I have a predator in 22-250 as well. if your taking 300 yard shots i would defiantly get a Nikon with bdc. I have a monarch 5-20-44 and it really helps on the long shots. http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-...9_2666352_n.jpg

I guessing you haven't shot the Model 7 with the new Pro-X Mark trigger. Breaks like glass at 3# from the box. Based off the 40-X trigger. I love my Remington, the Savage is a great rifle as well. I held and handled both and decided the Remmington fit me better. I suggest this, if you can.

How does the Remington balance with the 4.5x14 Nikon CS ?? I read in a previous thread I started that it is a little unbalanced and to go with the 3x9 Nikon ?? Both of these rifles have 22" barrels. I would like to find out as much info as I can from people that already have them so I can make a better imformed decision.

I am a Remington guy,I own three model 700 rifles and one 40 XB.However I have a friend that wanted a Model #10 in 22-250,know one around here could get them(this was two years ago) I found him one in Oregon,brand new in the box,He bought it.
Well that gun shot so well out of the box with of the shelf ammo that I was just speechless,great gun,he loves it.
I would recommend the Savage!!
smile.gif
For scopes go with the Nikon
and you will have one sweet coyote rifle!!!!

My brother (Fish J3) has had the Savage predator in .223 for a year or more, it shoots around 1/2 in consistently and I've seen him put 5 shots in a 3in group at 300. It's amazing how well that gun balances and he loves the trigger. I watched him call a head shot on a squirell at 120 yds off hand about two months ago. He recently bought the nikon coyote for it and really likes that configuration. It took him 3 shots to sight it in on saturday, and dropped a yote with it yesterday. (search his posts, there are pictures of the setup.) I personally had a bad experience with a remington rifle(and their customer service) so I won't ever own another. But many people really like them. I would handle both and make a decision, and remember that savage has a reputation for the best out of the box accuracy in the industry.

Last edited:
One other thing to take into consideration would be the rate of twist of the barrels, the savage is a one in 9 allowing for the stabilization of heavier bullets, I do not know the rate of twist for the model 7. just one other thing to consider.

If you're not a "fan" of the accu-trigger, take the blade out of the center. Just turns it into a regular single stage trigger. I've read and heard about some bad accuracy reports on many Remington rifles in the last year. My predator in a 22-250 is my go to coyote rifle. You can read more about the "bladeless" accu-trigger at the Savage Shooters Forum.

I have a savage in 220 swift and its an honest 1/4" shooter and i have one in 22/250 thats a 1/2" moa gun,and i have owned remingtons that were as good, and the quality of both are exellent. I think you got a great peice of advice from phantr760, Go to a gun store that has both and handel them both and see wich one feels the best to you.
Haveing said that I really like my savages besides being accurate, barrels are a peice of cake to switch out you can change the bolt face size easiely. They are just really shooter friendly.My 22/250 started life as a 30-06 and in a couple of hours in my shop it was reborn.
Steve

i'd vote for savage. if your only goona shoot to 300 max i'd stick to a smaller scope to keep weight and profile down. also, i would NOT buy a nikon

Why not on the Nikon? I have three ( buckmaster 6-18,Monarch 3.5-10,and Monarch 8-24)All have been used in the field bigtime
I have used them at distance shooting chucks using the target knobs and they return to "0" no problems.I have used them in below 0 degree weather,and in the driving rain and snow.I also own Leupolds.Nikon makes a great scope,that will take the abuse that the predator hunter will dish out and still bring home the fur,as long as the shooter is up to the task.
smile.gif

I'm a savage fan so I'll vote that way, bought a 12FV .223 before the predator came out now I want one of those too. Shoots under .5 moa with everything it seems. If you do buy the savage save the money and don't buy the combo, just a cheap simmons on the combo, will never get great accuacy out of any gun without decent quality scope, as for scope I like my nikon monarch and have a buddy who likes his buckmaster which I believe is the same as the coyote specail just with the different reticle.

I have the Savage 10 XP 22-250. No complaints here yet, on the scope or Accu-Trigger. I had 1 load worked up that will do 1/2-5/8, 5 shot at 100 yds. I have no gripe with the scope YET. It has not lost zero or any other troubles. Also, I don't see what all the gripe is about the blade on the Accu-Trigger,the blade does not bother or hinder me at all. On another note, I will agree that a fine trigger makes for some great shooting, but I know some folks that will shoot a light triggered gun and then act like they CANNOT in no possible way shoot a slightly stiff trigger, kinda makes me laugh. As for the Rem Model 7, I have one from the mid 80's in 7mm-08, I use it for Deer and a G-hog now and then. Haven't shot or handled the Mod.7 Pred. so I can't comment. I will say the Savage 10 xp impressed me.

I can't speak to the quality of the Rem, but I'm real pleased with my Savage Pred in .223. Had to buy it from Cabela's cause I was using built-up points on my cred card. Had to get the combo cause they didn't sell the rifle alone.
This combo had a Pentax scope, not the Simmons I have seen mentioned several times. Of course it's a low-end Pentax (Gameseeker) but I didn't find it all that bad. Savage either changed from the Simmons or maybe they use both, I don't know. Also, several posts have stated that the combo rifle doesn't have the removable magazine. Mine has it, maybe the earlier versions didn't but they do now. I changed out the Pentax scope for a Nikon CS 4.5-14 just because I thought the rifle deserved it. It shoots awesome groups. My thoughts were that the Nikon would have more accurate click adjustments, return to zero better, and would probably hold up better over time. Also, the reticle is great once you get used to it. You do get what you pay for. If I were pressed for money I probably would have stayed with the Pentax until it busted, it would have served OK in my opinion.
As for the rifle, I never owned a Savage and I was skeptical about all the articles claiming super out-of-the-box accuracy. But it was everything I hoped for and more. Thumbs up on the gun.

I both of the triggers. The Remington seems like a more solid gun, in my exp. Both will treat you well. Handle them both at the store. Maybe shoot one of each if they are available. Make you decision from there.

Back