DPMS AR-15 Rifles and Accessories

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1498079 - 01/25/10 03:09 PM Re: Remington Model 7 Predator VS. Savage Model 10 Predator !!! [Re: BAYSTATE YOTE]
WhitBri Offline

Loc: Iowa
I'm a savage fan so I'll vote that way, bought a 12FV .223 before the predator came out now I want one of those too. Shoots under .5 moa with everything it seems. If you do buy the savage save the money and don't buy the combo, just a cheap simmons on the combo, will never get great accuacy out of any gun without decent quality scope, as for scope I like my nikon monarch and have a buddy who likes his buckmaster which I believe is the same as the coyote specail just with the different reticle.

#1498122 - 01/25/10 03:29 PM Re: Remington Model 7 Predator VS. Savage Model 10 Predator !!! [Re: Spurred Hunter]
Rifleman2 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: IL Rock Island County
Love my Savage 12!! It is a tack driver with factory ammo.

#1498150 - 01/25/10 03:49 PM Re: Remington Model 7 Predator VS. Savage Model 10 Predator !!! [Re: Rifleman2]
mountain state Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: west virginia
I have the Savage 10 XP 22-250. No complaints here yet, on the scope or Accu-Trigger. I had 1 load worked up that will do 1/2-5/8, 5 shot at 100 yds. I have no gripe with the scope YET. It has not lost zero or any other troubles. Also, I don't see what all the gripe is about the blade on the Accu-Trigger,the blade does not bother or hinder me at all. On another note, I will agree that a fine trigger makes for some great shooting, but I know some folks that will shoot a light triggered gun and then act like they CANNOT in no possible way shoot a slightly stiff trigger, kinda makes me laugh. As for the Rem Model 7, I have one from the mid 80's in 7mm-08, I use it for Deer and a G-hog now and then. Haven't shot or handled the Mod.7 Pred. so I can't comment. I will say the Savage 10 xp impressed me.

#1498314 - 01/25/10 06:13 PM Re: Remington Model 7 Predator VS. Savage Model 10 Predator !!! [Re: mountain state]
packratjim Offline

Loc: arizona
I can't speak to the quality of the Rem, but I'm real pleased with my Savage Pred in .223. Had to buy it from Cabela's cause I was using built-up points on my cred card. Had to get the combo cause they didn't sell the rifle alone.
This combo had a Pentax scope, not the Simmons I have seen mentioned several times. Of course it's a low-end Pentax (Gameseeker) but I didn't find it all that bad. Savage either changed from the Simmons or maybe they use both, I don't know. Also, several posts have stated that the combo rifle doesn't have the removable magazine. Mine has it, maybe the earlier versions didn't but they do now. I changed out the Pentax scope for a Nikon CS 4.5-14 just because I thought the rifle deserved it. It shoots awesome groups. My thoughts were that the Nikon would have more accurate click adjustments, return to zero better, and would probably hold up better over time. Also, the reticle is great once you get used to it. You do get what you pay for. If I were pressed for money I probably would have stayed with the Pentax until it busted, it would have served OK in my opinion.
As for the rifle, I never owned a Savage and I was skeptical about all the articles claiming super out-of-the-box accuracy. But it was everything I hoped for and more. Thumbs up on the gun.

#1498320 - 01/25/10 06:16 PM Re: Remington Model 7 Predator VS. Savage Model 10 Predator !!! [Re: mountain state]
pahntr760 Offline
PM senior

Loc: South Dakota
I both of the triggers. The Remington seems like a more solid gun, in my exp. Both will treat you well. Handle them both at the store. Maybe shoot one of each if they are available. Make you decision from there.

#1498326 - 01/25/10 06:21 PM Re: Remington Model 7 Predator VS. Savage Model 10 Predator !!! [Re: packratjim]
mountain state Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: west virginia
Packratjim, The ol' Savage surprised you did it? I know I'm pleased with mine and haven't even found "THE" load for it yet. My 10xp has the Simmons 4-12, with blind magazine. I think the 10 Pred. came with a DBM, but I'm fine without it, just something else to lose and replace,IMO, so I'm o.k. with blind mag. I bought mine in summer 2007, so maybe the ones now come with Pentax Scope and DBM. I haven't looked at their site lately. Do you reload, or use factory ammo ?

#1498341 - 01/25/10 06:37 PM Re: Remington Model 7 Predator VS. Savage Model 10 Predator !!! [Re: pahntr760]
nyefmaker Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I checked out some guns today at Gander Mountain. Not the predator models, but a model 7 remington in 22-250 and a savage grey synthetic version in .223. I was amazed how light both guns are. I am used to carrying my ruger 300 win mag and model 70 375 H&H so the very light weight of these surprised. You can tell the savage is not as precise as a rem, win, or ruger. But from all the great things I have heard about them, they certainly seem to be up to par. I liked everything about the model 7 except the 50cent recoil pad. I was looking at it and was afraid of it falling off, it moved all over the place. Not just on that, but on all the remingtons I looked at. For such a nice gun, you think they would put a more solid recoil pad on.........I could not check out the accu-trigger as all the guns have trigger locks and they were busy at the counter selling other guns and doing paperwork.......Many of the combos I have read about or seen advertised have the Pentax scope. My dad called me and stated he has an ad for a gun shop that has the savage in snow camo and it has a simmons. Maybe the brush combo has the pentax ??..........Does the Nikon Coyote Special Brush Camo match the savage ????? The pics of the remington predator brush camo looks much darker than the savange. Both are supposed to have mossy oak brush camo.

#1498627 - 01/25/10 09:11 PM Re: Remington Model 7 Predator VS. Savage Model 10 Predator !!! [Re: nyefmaker]
pahntr760 Offline
PM senior

The Model 7 Predator has the R3 pad. Very nice. I have never had any issues with the remington recoil pads, thats a little odd to me.

My scope is a couple shades "browner" then the "greener" Model 7. But not enough to really care about.

Edited by pahntr760 (01/25/10 09:18 PM)
Edit Reason: cant speell N E thang

#1498755 - 01/25/10 10:13 PM Re: Remington Model 7 Predator VS. Savage Model 10 Predator !!! [Re: pahntr760]
packratjim Offline

Loc: arizona
Mountain State, I'm handloading and still trying different loads, but it seems to be happy with 55 gr. V-Max and Varget powder. Sorry to say it doesn't group near as well with Barnes TSX 53 or 62 gr. but with a little tweaking that might improve. Hope so, 'cause that is a great bullet.

nyfemaker, the Coyote Special Brush Camo actually matched my gun better than the Pentax that came with it. The Pentax had a little reddish-brown tint while the Nikon was greenish like the rifle. Same pattern, but the tint seems to be a little different from company to company. Not enough to get excited about, like pahntgr760 said.

#1498799 - 01/25/10 10:37 PM Re: Remington Model 7 Predator VS. Savage Model 10 Predator !!! [Re: pahntr760]
nyefmaker Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
The model 7 CDL I saw today had the supercell recoil pad. Maybe its been on the shelf awhile and they have changed, I am not sure. I actually thought the recoil pad was going to fall off. It was way too spongy. I was thinking all the model 7's including the predator had this. If its a R3, thats much better. I know they had an issue with the R3 at the beginning but have since fixed it from what I have read.

#1498872 - 01/25/10 11:27 PM Re: Remington Model 7 Predator VS. Savage Model 10 Predator !!! [Re: nyefmaker]
pahntr760 Offline
PM senior

My 887 shotgun has the supercell, the model 7 the R3 pad. I like the supercell better. JMHO

#1499028 - 01/26/10 02:54 AM Re: Remington Model 7 Predator VS. Savage Model 10 Predator !!! [Re: pahntr760]
OKIE2 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: TERLTON, OKLAHOMA
I love all 5 of my savages and have 3 remingtons that I'm not to crazy about.
BUT do your self a BIG FAVOR and keep a few hundred bucks in your pocket go buy a MARLIN XLong7 OR XShort7 FOR $259.00 mine was with tax $282.80 out the door.
plus you can switch all the $50.00 takeoff Savage or Stevens barrels on them.

Edited by OKIE2 (01/26/10 02:56 AM)

#1500830 - 01/27/10 01:22 PM Re: Remington Model 7 Predator VS. Savage Model 10 Predator !!! [Re: OKIE2]
Dub Offline

Loc: Willamete Valley, Or
I have never shot the Rem model 7 but I do own a Savage model 10xp .223 and love it. Dont know if you aware of this but the model 10 is desinged for preadator hunting by a professinal predator hutner that teamed up with Savage. I cant recall his name but he has been predator hunting for like 30 years or something crazy. Anyway I would say try and find a buddie who has both and go shoot em. Good luck man I hate when I decide to buy a new rifle it makes for hard decision

#1500855 - 01/27/10 01:53 PM Re: Remington Model 7 Predator VS. Savage Model 10 Predator !!! [Re: Dub]
happyyoter Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: WV.PA
ive got remmys and savages...i hate the safetys on savages..when its cold there a pain to push foreward...2 friends have the 7 predator..and i dont think theres a nicer quick handling little gun..and both are tack drivers with factory ammo...

#1500901 - 01/27/10 02:23 PM Re: Remington Model 7 Predator VS. Savage Model 10 Predator !!! [Re: happyyoter]
tt35 Offline
PM Sponsor

Loc: E Oregon
I'm a lifelong Remington man and most of my rifles are Remingtons. My Savage Predator Hunter in .204 is the first Savage I've owned and it's one of the most accurate rifles I have. It has shot 3/4" three shot groups at 200 yards the last three times I've checked the sight on it. I love the MO Brush camo--no shine. The barrel on the PH is a medium contour so it will be a little heavier than the sporter weight you handled. I think it's a great compromise if weight isn't a big issue for you.

The bads: I agree with Happyyoter about the safety. I much prefer the Rem safety. And, the Accutrigger is great but mine occasionally fails to hold the sear. I need to send it back to Savage. I have no doubt they will take care of the problem.

What would I buy if were starting over? Unless I could actually shoot the model 7 and see for myself that it could shoot with the Savage, I would definitely buy the Savage. Its an amazing shooter.
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Jack Roberts, OldTurtle, venatic 

Forum Stats
48226 Members
83 Forums
287546 Topics
2718472 Posts

Max Online: 3771 @ 02/03/14 09:55 PM
Today's Birthdays
Blakdog, Coyotejunki, Ing, KaiserW02, Mainehoundman, Metrik, Outback, SouthTexasHunter, TreeMUPKennel, uurys1, Zeke

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.