What do you guys wear coyote hunting????

In the fall,I usually wear carhartt pants,a realtree ap shirt and a pair of snake boots. In the winter,most of the time a pair of instulated bibs,a carhartt coat and muck boots with something liteweight and white over top.
Ben

New to Coyote hunting, but here's what I wear. I consider it quality clothes, but not really expensive.

Redhead/Bass Pro Shops long sleeve shirt in Realtree AP camo. Redhead Silent Hide pants in Realtree AP. Redhead $15 gloves in Realtree AP. Bought a $100 Winchester parka from them and got it for $50. For where I hunt, it's VERY warm. It's waterproof. It's in Realtree AP also. LMAO Boots are Wolverine Scouts. LOVE THOSE BOOTS! And whatever hat. I have a couple; both Mossy Oak Breakup...................I mean Realtree AP:)!

Stylin'! Lookin' sexy! Can't shoot jack, but look good trying! hahahaha

Arden

Synthetics work best IMO. Wool works too. Stay away from cotton because it holds moisture which wicks your body heat away in the cold and builds stink. Synthetics will wick away sweat which prevents smell. I have worn my Under Armor HeatGear for 3 days and nights in a row and it had barely any smell to it.

In the winter I layer up. First layer is usually a compression shirt. Walmart has Starter brand shirts for like $12 if you don't want to spend $40 on an Under Armour. Next I like either my Under Armor HeatGear loose fitting long sleeved shirt or my ECWS base layer. I have a Starter brand shirt for this too but I don't really care for it. polar weight Polartec fleece comes next. Pants wise I normally just have some synthetic boxers and the polar weight Polartec underneath a pair of jeans but I have been looking for a decent deal on some Under Armor leggings. On top of all of that goes either my insulated cammo coveralls or some synthetic cammo bibs and matching jacket. Fleece cammo gloves, watch cap, and neck gaitor cover the rest of my exposed skin to keep my nice and warm. I don't think predators care if your cammo matches so long as your outline is broken up.

For summer I actually have mostly matching cammo. King's desert shadow pants, long sleeve tshirt, and 3/4 face mask. My gloves and hat don't match though. I have been considering the King's Quick Camo hat with built in veil. All of the King's stuff is lightweight polyester to keep me cool and dry.

Foot wise I have some very thick wool blend boot socks that I wear under my boots in the winter. For the summer I have some lightweight Under Armor All Season socks for under the boots.

Last edited:
Top/Bottom
-Merino Wool base
-fleece mid layer
-H2O/windproof outer shell
-Camo cover ups
Footwear
merino wool socks
under wool socks
& 1500g thinsulate Rocky boots
works great at -20

Dogtired has the only picture I know of????
(hint hint)

Originally Posted By: beaglerI like hunting naked. call me and we can go together
lol.gif

I don't go for any of the fancy stuff. T-shirt with long sleve tshirt or thermal. Polar fleece vest and sweat shirt. Keeps me warm down into the teens. Light water proof shell if its raining or snowing.

Where I spend the money is good boots. Gotta have good boots mostly because you will wear out cheap ones leaving you in the field with the sole falling off. Redwing irish setter boots have been holding up great.

I'd wouldn't mind having some of those fancy layering things but I don't have enough money for that. Every dollar is for gas and food to get out there or more ammo to practice with.

IMO wearing 2 different camo patterns works better by breaking up your outline. When i turkey hunt, i wear Mossy Oak Obsession pants to match the grass, and either Natural Gear or Realtree AP jacket to match the tree trunk. For coyotes, i wear camo Wranglers from Wally World and a hoodie with Seclusion #D leafy top over it. just add long johns in cold weather

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660I'd wouldn't mind having some of those fancy layering things but I don't have enough money for that. Every dollar is for gas and food to get out there or more ammo to practice with.

@ -20 we gotta have layers anything cotton or polyester will suck up the moisture and in 10mins we'd be done.

I hunted many years in sweat pants, sweaters, tees and thermals under my camo cover ups only to be miserable wet or cold 30mins into a hunt. this year is my first wearing the wool base layer and so far the 85 bucks was well worth it.

This time of year our average highs are in the teens I could see wearing less in warmer climates.

dogtired and I tend to fall asleep in temps around 15-20 who knows how many coyotes have come in undetected while we cat nap in the sun and snow.

Originally Posted By: odawgpOriginally Posted By: TripleDeuce660I'd wouldn't mind having some of those fancy layering things but I don't have enough money for that. Every dollar is for gas and food to get out there or more ammo to practice with.

@ -20 we gotta have layers anything cotton or polyester will suck up the moisture and in 10mins we'd be done.

I hunted many years in sweat pants, sweaters, tees and thermals under my camo cover ups only to be miserable wet or cold 30mins into a hunt. this year is my first wearing the wool base layer and so far the 85 bucks was well worth it.

This time of year our average highs are in the teens I could see wearing less in warmer climates.

dogtired and I tend to fall asleep in temps around 15-20 who knows how many coyotes have come in undetected while we cat nap in the sun and snow.

In your defense, you never fall asleep. I am the one who suffers from Narcolepsy. Here is your photo. (that was -12f)

1-15-10127.jpg

I hunt on snow spot stalk most of mine in winter. I wear poypropelyne under garment long johns, they say cotton kills people. Then blue jeans and insulated winter shirt. Then insulated jean jacket, with brown Dickie cover alls one piece, and a thin walls white coveralls for camo. I use 1 or 2 white face masks with a circle opening. I have a pair of camo white coveralls from Cabellas, but there were not enough pockets on it and plastic zippers are a waste of money, they always fail.
The Walls white coveralls have 2 chest pockets, with 4 pockets below the belt area. I can carry extra mittens or gloves, extra box of bullets, extra magazines for my Browning. Pretty much the same clothing I have worn for 25yrs.
Warm weather calling in west, I wear Natgear pants and shirt, best camo I have seen.

Wicking underwear, outer layer is unlined fleece, a little big, so I can put another pair of pants under it. I never really wear a coat, just layer up wool sweaters, the thin dress-up kind,pick them up real cheap at goodwill, ect.Make shure they're wool. Take them off or add them as required.Sometimes I leave them hanging in a tree & pick them up on the way back. In that wonderful old book, "The Stillhunter" Vandyke carries them under his belt in back.No matter what the temp swings are I'm never too hot or cold.I save my Filson Cruiser to wear in town.

King's Desert Shadow and about three layers underneath lately. Man it's been cold on some days! I think it is good to throw some snow pants and a dessert top to break up your form...

There are a lot of good posts here, and I agree with most. For me it boils down to five things you need to consider when putting together your wardrobe in a way that you don't end up wasting money on tons of different pieces and only wearing a few.

One - Layers, Layers, Layers!
You can always peel things off or add one on to adjust.

Two - Base Layer!
As already mentioned, never wear cotton, especially against your skin. There is something to be said about the higher end base layers like Under Armour, but as long as it is a synthetic that wicks, and is not to thick (again with the layers), you have the right foundation. If your base doesn't wick moisture, you can have the best rain suit in the world, and you will still end up cold and wet from sweat. I like long sleeve base layers for all seasons, as you can always roll sleeves up in the hot sun, or roll them down in the bitter cold winter mornings.

Three - Shell that is light, waterproof, and has pit zips.
This is wear you get what you pay for in extreme conditions. Not all waterproof jackets/pants are made the same. Most will keep you dry in a straight down rain, but when busting brush (wear water can be forced up in weird directions, and is allowed to pool) cheaper jackets will leak. I like to wear a light thin rain jacket (again layers), which allows me to put on and off pieces underneath. Also, never buy a jacket that doesn't have pit zips (the odd zippers under your arms). This allows you to vent yourself when walking or hiking, and dramatically reduces the amount your body sweats, so that when you get to where you are going to sit, you just close them down and you are not a sweaty mess, and the heat is now trapped in your jacket. I wish more pants had this feature (I think I have only seen it on some River West pants). I like the Cabelas MT050 for big game hunting in the cascades, best stuff I have ever seen used, but spendy.

Four - Boots
The number one thing that is always exposed to moisture and the cold no matter if it is raining/snowing. Invest in a decent pair of boots that get real good field tested reviews. Don't buy into the hype. Also, make sure they are light weight and easy to walk in.

Five - Pockets, Pockets, Pockets.
There are some really good rain jackets/pants out there that are affordable, but don't have enough pockets. Specifically the pants. If hunting pants don't have cargo pockets, don't buy them. Convienence is key here. If you can put it in a pocket, thats one less thing to put in your pack, or a way to not even carry a pack. Also, look for the leg zippers to aid in the layering process....easier on and off.

As for camo, this is all preference. As long as your outline is broke up your in business. Sit in or against a bush, and your done. The only time I think it really makes a difference is if your hunting in a snow covered field (you don't want to be that one dark spot sitting against a snow bank). I like the sheet idea one of the earlier posts came up with (again with the layers).

The above is how I try and buy hunting clothes, so that I can use them for all types of hunting and try and keep my costs down. With that said, I like buying anything camo, so I am not one to always follow my advise.

Hope this helps and pulls together allot of the earlier posts to the fundamentals and not the brands.

Back