input on dead coyote chokes, what say you ??

Fox Fire

I've been eyeballin the dead coyote chokes for a while but wunder if they shoot as good as they claim, I think they claim that they'll shoot a tight pattern of large shot out to 50 yards if I remember.

Just wunderin if any of you gents have any info on them?

Carlson's Dead Coyote choke is the best on the market for shooting hevi shot and #4 buck. After tying several other brands Carlson's is the only choke I use for predators.

i have 2 one for a Mossberg 835 and one for my Remington both work great with large shot. Well worth the $35 or so. I feel very conformable at 50 and closer. jeff

Sounds like a good piece of equipment, I had thoughts on buy'n one but didnt know anyone who had tried it, most of the local huntin territory is kinda thick and a shot gun mite be a better choice of critter gitter.

Originally Posted By: MRhinefieldCarlson's Dead Coyote choke is the best on the market for shooting hevi shot and #4 buck.

Quite a bold statement there without an "IMHO or In my experience" type of qualifier.

IME

the tighter the choke the worse larger shot patterns

I shoot #4 buck with a modified choke out of a rem 870 12ga and have better than 60% pattern at 50 yds more than enough to kill a song dog.

I tried a full and super full choke in the same gun and the patterns decreased significantly with each the Super patterned the worst out of them all

I know you didn't ask but I have the Pattern Master in my Benelli Super Black Eagle and it is viscious. It will put 50-60 shot evenly spread in an 18x24 target at 70 yards.

I sent my Benelli M90 Tactical to a guy here in VA that specializes in making guns shoot buckshot and he put a tube of his manufacture in that equals my Pattern Master.

He also made a Choke for my Benelli Ultra Light and it is outstanding also.

If you are not going to take the time to pattern and test your chokes and tubes, I would highly recommend you send your gun to someone who will. I paid $150 for the Tactical to be threaded, the choke tube,the shells, and the pattern testing.

The Ultra light was $85.00 (it was already threaded) for the choke, the pattern testing and the shells.

You will never know how your gun shoots with a choke/load without pattern testing the gun.

I bought one for each of my shot guns,11-87 and Benelli M-2,when I patterned them,I was disapointed to find that the combination did not shoot well in my guns (using Dead Coyote).I had to go with PatternMaster chokes.The carlson chokes did shoot well with my crow loads so now I use them as extended range chokes for crows.

As an edit to my previous post. If you don't have the time or money to test multiple loads and chokes it might be a lot more cost effective to send your gun to someone who does pattern/choke work for a living and tell them what load you want to shoot......let them taylor the choke to your load instead of shooting a ton of ammo and buying a truck load of choke tubes.

Havent tried dead coyote but i do have a patternmaster long range. Recently tested 4 dif chokes in my gun (rem 1100) with buckshot. Superfull was by far the tightest pattern followed by full. Lots of my friends have pattern masters and love em however i was extremelly disappointed with the performance.

On the other hand it is deadly on crows.

I know this is a request for DC choke information. I did not go with a DC even though there were many good reports about how well it shot. People that I knew did not have the same success with good patterns when they used them, even with DC shells. It is true all guns are different but of all the shotguns I have patterned with different loads not drastically different. I decided to try a Pattern Master. Their constriction is close to modified improved. What I get from them is patterns with little or no spacing or clumping of shot groups. A very even distribution through out the whole pattern. With DC Rem T, Rem BB and 4 buck that one choke provides the best patterns out to 50 yards maybe further just haven't patterned it beyond that. I did play with a few shots at plywood at 75 and 100 yards a while ago because of a different post. I got some hits at 75 and no hits at but not a pattern at those ranges. I shot with a Rem 870 30 inch full choke barrel and with my 11-87 with the Pattern Master. So far the Pattern Master shoots everything from bird shot to buck shot the best for me in a couple of different guns. Hope that provided some information for the OP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: R15 PredatorAs an edit to my previous post. If you don't have the time or money to test multiple loads and chokes it might be a lot more cost effective to send your gun to someone who does pattern/choke work for a living and tell them what load you want to shoot......let them taylor the choke to your load instead of shooting a ton of ammo and buying a truck load of choke tubes.

?????? I went thru fifeteen shells to figure this out,the chokes you can use for other styles of hunting.If you can afford to pay someone to pattern your shotgun,and set it up with a choke and load,well then all the well.I really get into working with my firearms to taylor make loads that will preform and be more humane.

Last edited:
the carlson dead coyote choke works very well in my 870 supermag with single b, 2's and winchester #4 buck. Very, Very well. Ive had good luck with a b
uch of differen tubes though.

I cant see where so many guys who are doing well with very tight constriction tubes could be wrong.

Scott Carlson of " Carlsons Choke Tubes" is coming on The Predator Hunting Talkcast Feb. 14th to talk about shotgunning, patterning,shot density, and of course choke tubes.

I love DC. I have a Carlson DC choke in my 835 ultimag. I feel comfortable shooting a fox or coyote at 70 yards. I have patterned extensively and it shoots everything from 2's to oo buck very well, including D/C. You need to pattern your gun or have someone pattern it for you though as no two guns shoot the same

Originally Posted By: dwilsonI love DC. I have a Carlson DC choke in my 835 ultimag. I feel comfortable shooting a fox or coyote at 70 yards. I have patterned extensively and it shoots everything from 2's to oo buck very well, including D/C. You need to pattern your gun or have someone pattern it for you though as no two guns shoot the same

70 yards? Awesome, what sort of pattern are you getting at 70 yards?

Man! .. I must be doing something wrong ..I thought I was good at 50 ..nope. I shoot a 28 inch 870 supermag dead coyote choke and shot . I have killed them at 50 in years past . this year I lost two at this range the gun is patterned and I thought 50 would be sufficient but I'm going to keep looking for the magic combo . 70 yds ! man you guys are killing me

Back