What's it worth? Winchester lever action 32/40 rifle!

Swim Bait

Hey guys! I can get more info on the gun; don't have much now. It's a Winchester lever action in 32/40. Has a octagon shaped barrel. Wood stock. Know it's a pretty old gun and that ammo for it is VERY hard to get and expensive.

LMAO, my dad has a old box of 32/40 ammo with John Wayne on the box. hahahahaha

Anyway, the gun is in good shape. Any idea how much it's worth?

Thanks guys
thumbup1.gif

Arden

What you have is likely a Winchester model 1892. The value of the rifle can vary widely depending on how desirable it is to collectors. What a collector is going to look at is:

#1. Date of manufacture, which you can trace through the serial number.

#2. How original it is. Collectors are'nt going to pay as much for guns without factory sights, or that have had their stocks refinished or their barrels reblued.

#3. Overall condition.

#4. Special features done by the factory that makes your rifle unique among the thousands of others that are out there.

That being said, original model 92's (not the modern day copy cats) in shootable condition start in the $800-$1,000 range and go up from there.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll get more on the gun later. It's my dad's. I was more curious than anything. I believe everything on it is original. I'll try to get more info on the rifle later today and maybe get a picture of it.

Thanks again,

Arden

My grandfather sold his without telling me about it, I'm still mad about it. Sounds like the same gun, 32-40. Still shot and was functional, condition was good for a gun that old, had a crack in the stock, original bluing and parts. He sold it with 30 rounds of ammo for $550. Needless to say he got screwed. I called the pawn shop the next day and the guy wouldn't sell it back to me. I did some research and the gun was easily worth $1,000. Most of the guns I found in that condition were bringing up to $2,000 on gunbroker.

I screwed up in my previous post, the .32-40 was chambered in the Winchester model 1894, not the 1892 like I told you. For some reason, I was thinking of the shorter action .32-20 when I replied. Because the .32-40 is one of those early odd ball calibers collectors love, you can probably add at least another 30% to the value I gave you.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, it is a Winchester 1894. Just looked at it; it's in really good shape. My dad has only fired 7 rounds through it, but is not the original owner. He doesn't think it's been fired much.

And the box of John Wayne ammo is full and looks like new almost.

I'll post pics of both and more info later on.

Thanks again for the info guys,

Arden

Not the best pictures in the world, but here they are. Pics of the gun and John Wayne ammo.

FishwithMauriceNorbertBPSdadsrifle0.jpg

FishwithMauriceNorbertBPSdadsrif-1.jpg

FishwithMauriceNorbertBPSdadsrif-2.jpg

FishwithMauriceNorbertBPSdadsrif-3.jpg

FishwithMauriceNorbertBPSdadsrif-4.jpg

A look at the octagon shaped barrel!

FishwithMauriceNorbertBPSdadsrif-5.jpg

A couple notches under the grip behind the lever.

FishwithMauriceNorbertBPSdadsrif-6.jpg

John Wayne!

FishwithMauriceNorbertBPSdadsrif-7.jpg

FishwithMauriceNorbertBPSdadsrif-8.jpg

Full box, never shot! Back of the box reads, "These centerfire cartridges are produced in limited quantity. Cases are specially nickel plated and have a distinctive head stamp. All cartridges are manufactured to rigid specifications from the finest quality components."

What ya'll think
grin.gif
? LOL

Arden

What do I think? I think a hexagon has 6 sides.

Just funnin' with ya. I love the old Winchesters. In my mind, they're a big part of american history!

Originally Posted By: duckdogWhat do I think? I think a hexagon has 6 sides.

Just funnin' with ya. I love the old Winchesters. In my mind, they're a big part of american history!

LMAO
lol.gif
WELL HECK! Octagon Barrel then
thumbup1.gif
! I never did count the sides.............cuz eye's iz sumart!

I'll check that link out, thanks.

Arden

Originally Posted By: VolCrewTry entering the serial number at this site and see when it was built: http://oldguns.net/sn_php/winmods.htm

Any idea where the serial number might be? I looked at it close, dad looked at it close; and no serial number to be found. It's not in plain view. Where should I be looking?

Thanks,

Arden

Originally Posted By: Swim BaitOriginally Posted By: VolCrewTry entering the serial number at this site and see when it was built: http://oldguns.net/sn_php/winmods.htm

Any idea where the serial number might be? I looked at it close, dad looked at it close; and no serial number to be found. It's not in plain view. Where should I be looking?

Thanks,

Arden

Look on the bottom of the receiver right next to the wood forearm.

-BCB

Originally Posted By: Bayou City BoyOriginally Posted By: Swim BaitOriginally Posted By: VolCrewTry entering the serial number at this site and see when it was built: http://oldguns.net/sn_php/winmods.htm

Thanks,

Arden

Look on the bottom of the receiver right next to the wood forearm.

-BCB

LOVE THIS SITE
thumbup.gif
! Man it was right where you said it was. I didn't see it when I looked because it was kinda worn down. Made out the numbers, put them in the site provided above; and it said it was made in 1894. Guess that makes sense since that's the model number too. LOL

Thanks guys,

Arden

Tell you what Swim Bait, I kinda keep track of the values of run-of-the-mill old Winchesters, but what you have is out of my league. Take those same pictures you posted and post them again on this website:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=2

These guys are the real experts. I think the rifle may have been reblued because of the serial number shouldn't be faded at all in a gun of that condition. If it has been, that would be a tragedy. Otherwise, a rifle with a 3 or 4 digit serial number from 1894 would be a museum piece. It is a rifle you need to get authenticated by a professional.

Originally Posted By: CBHunterTXI have a very similar gun stamped 1865, I wish the condition was as good as yours.

An 1866 Winchester?? I just seen one advertised for auction where the pre auction buy out price was $90,000.00

Originally Posted By: CacheCreekTell you what Swim Bait, I kinda keep track of the values of run-of-the-mill old Winchesters, but what you have is out of my league. Take those same pictures you posted and post them again on this website:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=2

These guys are the real experts. I think the rifle may have been reblued because of the serial number shouldn't be faded at all in a gun of that condition. If it has been, that would be a tragedy. Otherwise, a rifle with a 3 or 4 digit serial number from 1894 would be a museum piece. It is a rifle you need to get authenticated by a professional.

Thanks for the link. Honestly, I don't think it was reblued; but I'm not sure. I can see all the other "writing" on the gun everywhere else; just two numbers on the serial number are kinda hard to make out. Dad looked at it through a magnifying glass. LMAO The two middle numbers are clear as day, the one on the left is pretty clear; but the one on the right took some time to make out. I think it's just from being old. I guess I'll find out in the future.

Also, I've been around that gun for 27 years; and have never fired it. If you can believe that! LOL I really don't know A LOT about guns, but I'd give it a 8 or 9 out of ten I think. Dad told me that someone once offered him $2000 for it and that was like 10 years ago. He didn't take it. I know it's very hard to get ammo for. Think most guys probably do re loads for it. It's not a gun where you can go to a gun shop and buy a box of ammo for it; that's for sure.

Thanks again for the info everyone,

Arden

I have a 32-40 that is in mint condition, a couple of minor scratches but nothing major. Serial number 69695. What is it worth. Thanks

Back