heaviest .243 bullet that would work well with Varget?

duck911

Hi all,

I have a Remington 700 with a 1-9 1/8" twist. I'd like to use Varget in my loads but have heard that it's not the best choice for heavier bullet weights. I'd like to shoot 80 to 90 grain bullets as I feel they're a good compromise of BC and velocity.

Does anyone have input as to whether or not Varget will work well with these bullet weights?

thanks,

--Duck911

Last edited:
I have a 700 w/ the same twist (22" sporter bbl) and it shoots 80gr bullets w/ Varget very well (around 1" at 100yds). I've never tried 90gr bullets, but could not get it to shoot 100gr's well w/ Varget, 4350, or 4831.

My model 7 shoots very well with Varget and 100gr. Patitions for deer. Try it in yours, all guns have different tastes.

I tried Varget in a Tikka and a Remington 243, with a variety of bullet weights, and could not get the accuracy I was looking for.

However, in my Browning 243, Varget shoots great with a 75gr Vmax and 85gr Barnes TSX (same powder charge for both).

As has been said, all guns have different tastes.

I use Varget with 75 gr Hornady HP. And while it's not .243, I also load Varget in my son's .308 with 150 grain and 180 grain bullets...

I've not had good luck with Varget in my .243 with any bullet.

My 22" barrel 1:10 twist Savage (it's been rebarreled) shoots the 95g NBT into a 1/2 to 3/4 MOA with 44.0g of IMR7828.

Fitch

I've got a Remington VLS in 243 that I had the barrel cut from 26" to 22" and I can shoot the 105gr. Hornady A-Max with varget and cover 5 shots with a nickle.

I have shot coyotes with them and they put them down hard.

hunter966

I heard so much about Varget I did get a pound and try it. Didn't have any luck with it. I'm not a guy to experiment a lot with new stuff though either. I pretty much stick to proven powder's. Shoot if everyone were like me there would never be a new powder. Then again maybe we don't need new powder's! lol I also tried R-22 for the same reason and it didn't work very well where I used it but was alright in another application.

A lot of years ago Norma produced a powder called N-205. I bought the hype and tried it, what a great powder it was. Then it got discontinued. As I understood it, it varied to much lot to lot. I didn't care I loved the stuff!

Probably a good thing guy's experiment otherwise we'd all be shooting flintlocks with black powder!

I have had good luck with Varget in the .243 on the 75 grain pills, but I use Reloader 19 on my 100 grain pills. A would think that Varget would handle 80's, but I have not had any luck with 100 grain bullets.

BANDIT

Interesting! I use Varget pretty exclusively in all my competition and hunting guns. Both of my 7mm08's love it with the 130gr Sierras and 162 AMax (1 in 9 twist). In 6BR and 6BRX i use 30.5 and 33.2gr respectively with 107 Sierras and 108 Bergers (1 in 8 twist). Both of the 6's are used in varmint silhouette out to 600 yards.........they are extremely accurate with Varget. I'm now using Varget in my coyote gun which is a 6x47 Lapua with 70gr Noslers with a 1 in 9 twist barrel. Its not a benchrest gun, but it does shoot very well.
I think your barrel rate of twist may be more of a deciding factor on the weight of bullets you can use.

Kevin

Last edited:
I am now using Varget in my 243 with 95 gr SSt's. I can keep it at about 3/4 of an inch. I tried Hybrid 100v and couldnt get consistent groups.

Wow I would have never guessed so many guy's are having trouble with Varget. I have such good luck with it I buy it in case quantity of 8lbrs.
To me Varget seems to work well under a variety of calibers and conditions.

I have not had much luck with Varget either, in .223 or .243
I am not going to give up on it yet though.So far IMR4064 has worked best for me with all bullet weights in my .243
The comments about not being the best choice may be because of load density??

Back