300 win mag for coyotes

A calling buddy of mine used a .300 Win mag for a couple of months one winter back in the '80s.

180 grain bullets (don't remember which ones) just shot through the coyote without much expansion. He got less fur damage than I did with the .243 I used at the same time; heavier constructed bullets were the reason for that, I'm sure.

Daryl

When I had my .300 Win Mag in a Savage, I used right off the shelf 150 gr Core-Lokt from Remington. I also had some 125 Nosler BT made up. Never had a yote walk away. The 150's were very accurate and no kick when shot. Right now I'm using 125 Nosler BT's in my 300 Wthby- I just like the way they shoot.

I resently got a howa 1500 300 win mag I have been using it on coyotes for three months. I've been shooting win 180 grain ammo off the shelf. If you shot them broad side they will drop and only peace a caliber size hole on both sides. Only trouble on fur is if you shot them quartering away where there is enough bone and vitals for e pansion. If you use bullets that don't rapidly expand the fur will be fine.

Back