What has everybody had respond to there calls besides coyotes

Destroyer

I was just wondering what everybody has had respond to their calls besides coyotes. I have not called in a coyote for more than a week now it seems everything else comes in but no coyotes. Yesterday I had three deer come in right on top of me they were snorting and weezing all over theplace. Later in the day a bunch of birds would not leave the tree I was under they kept moving around trying to find the animal making the sound. Today I called in about 20 cows. But no coyotes

Destroyer,
I have had a little of everything come in to my calls..cows,crows,owls,hawks,house cats, coons,house dogs,goats,blue jays, you name it..i think thats what makes it fun. you just never no whats coming in..but its all ok when that cat or yote comes in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Had lots of things come eagles, hawks, crows, coon,lots of deer, coyote, bobcats,horses,cows,squirrels come down and chatter at you, even called in a nut from across the fence came roaring up in his pickup cause he thought I was hunting on his land. I just love to sit close to fences by this type and call their coyotes over and bust them.

It is not unusual, here in North Dakota, to call in magpies, hawks, owls, golden eagles, fox, coyotes, an ocassional badger or coon, cows, horses, domestic dogs, an ocassional whitetail deer, antelope, human beings, and mule deer. Mule deer are especially interested in finding your location when you start howling! They snort and stomp around looking to put the run on that noisy coyote.

The normal birds of prey, horse, cows, magpies, but the most unusal was a jack rabbit hopped over and stood up 5yrds in front of me and just watched me for awhile.

hey Ken, I didnt know you were calling jackrabbits. I have had hawks, eagles, ravens, bobcat and a couple foxes up in the timber.

hey yotehunter,
I had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday. The darned thing came out from a bush and just stood there for about a minute until I run him off. No wonder these things are at the bottom of the food chain. Maybe he figures after dinner that coyote eatin cousin Henry will be too full and slow to catch him.

Coyhunter, it sounds like you like ALL of the hunt too. What part of Nebraska do you live in and what luck have you had so far this year? Good luck hunting.

Barry

The strangest thing? A bowhunter looking for the "deer in distress." It was classic watching Robin Hood stalking his prey, while safely sitting at a distance. I'd turn the caller on and the nimrod would get into his stalking pose and look for the deer. After a while I'd shut the caller off and he'd lose interest for a while. When this happened, I'd turn the caller back on and the hunting resumed. He eventually stalked the deer out of site and we left, laughing all the way to the truck. It's a good we were at a safe distance though. With a "hunter" this good, you never know what could happen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif MI VHNTR

the funniest one i can remember was a woodchuck.he came in checked me out and left.but when he came in a second time i couldn't resist.he come off the ground 3 ft when the bullet hit em.is this natural selection?getting rid off the stupid ones?

Me and Wally just returned from a huntin' trip in Texas. We had a hog come into a jackribbit distress call. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Kinda different. Didn't try to make a shot. It stopped in the middle of a oil field road right on the skyline and turned after a couple of minutes and wandered off.We hopped in my huntin' buggy and tried to get in a position to get a shot off but the hog heard us comming and lit out across the field. Tell ya' what, those things can RUN.Looked like about a 300lb Russian Boar. :eek:

I called in my wife. She thought I had stepped on a beagle puppy. About got my but kicked over that one. No more calls in the house She says. Then buys me A Johnny Stewart 612. I think she may be trying to run me off. She even has the kids siding with her. Ha Ha!!!

I was calling, heard a loud gush of air, and when I looked up there was a huge hawk about three feet over my head! He was out of there once i looked up

When owls swoop to within a few feet of my head, that's one of the neatest rushes.

Had a big buck come to a fawn in distress call. Alas, it wasn't deer season.

Bunches of housecats.

coons

songbirds

crows

probably a lot of stuff I didn't see--scary considering the mountain lion sightings these days

people---amazing how these bunny choking calls will attract people. I'm taking my calls with me if war breaks out in this country.

dogs

I know you guys aren't going to believe this one, but i actually got a date on the prairie while hunting coyotes once. I was coming back from hunting one afternoon, in the middle of nowheresville 10 or so miles from the closest manmade object (or so I thought) when I came up to a county road intersection. On the side of the road was a truck parked and a girl was sitting on a lawn chair catching some afternoon rays, and a little bit of prairie solitude I guess. I bit the bullet, so to speak, got out of my truck walked over to her in full camo (me, not her)gun cradled in my arms and asked her if she'd like to go out to dinner, with me and my gun--- just kidding about the gun part. Believe it or not though after speaking to her for a few minutes, explaining to her that I was out hunting, turns out she was a hunter too. I asked her out, she said yes, and we went out to dinner several days later. I never saw her again after that though, I guess it wasn't meant to be-- it had something to do with bringing my cover scent to dinner with me-- man! I mean really, what's wrong with that?

Oh something else-- I actually had a magpie land on my gunbarrel once. I wrote about this experience in the 1/02 issue of Varmint Hunter magazine in an article entitled, "Spotting and Stalking Coyotes", although this was in the middle of a calling stand, not stalking. It's been my experience that these birds are just a little more intelligent than the avg. Iraqii footsoldier. The difference is the Iraqii would have landed in front of the gunbarrel.

I have had Crows, Hawks, Owls, Turkeys, Birds, Deer, Bobcat, Fox, squirrels. I think i have called in more turkeys than anything, I think the Verminator Tweety will work great during Turkey season.

John69- I saw a video once where a European boar ( I think the video was actually shot in Europe somewhere) chased down and caught a rabbit. If I'm not mistaken, it was aired on the Discovery Channel. Hogs will eat anything, and I do mean anything.

I called in a cottontail with the JS Desperate Cry of a Cottontail a month or so back. He ran out into the power line right of way I was calling and would look and then dart around. A few minutes later I saw a bobcat dart across the power line ROW about 50 yards the other side of me. I never did see the bobcat again for the shot.

Back