300 win mag for coyotes

If that's all you've got, it'll definitely kill 'em. If you're planning on saving the fur, it won't work for that.

That having been said, if your rifle will group well with 'em, I've used 165 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips on coyotes. They tear the critters up pretty good, though...

I use my big game rifles for coyotes all the time. Kills them very dead, and its good practice for both you and your rifle. I"ve killed a few with 7 RM, 300 Win, 300 RUM and even 338 EDGE.

180g NBT's are a good all around bullet in the 300 win mag from coyotes to elk. Stoke it with RL-22 and your good to go.

It's the splatter and a lot more. Really it's very good practice, most people never practice with the big stuff and it shows come crunch time.. Jeff

My brother killed one with his .300 win mag (A-bolt).

He was out at night with a couple of friends and spotted one @ 200 yds.

He took it right in the chest and it was directly facing him.

All they saw was the coyote doing a one and a half reverse gainer.

The eyes told the story ....... like a pair of side by side tracers!!!

Three 44s

If you shoot them through the body with a stout bullet and don't hit bone, it won't tear them up all that bad.
If you do hit bone, it will be a mess.

Have you thought about Remington Reduced Recoil rounds. 150 gr. @ 2640 fps. That's a little lighter than a .30/06. If you reload, work up a load for the lightest bullet, that will give you the same trajectory as your normal round.

As a long time (old) handgunner, I would shoot .38 special wadcutters 95% of the time. For self defence, I would use .357 mag's. So when I bought a hunting rifle, I looked for a caliber that offered a lighter round, to get a dual use out of it.

I shot one with my 300 Win Mag face on in the chest with a 180 Gr Sierra Pro Hunter. Made the fur fly
w00t.gif

Great way to get practice with you big game rifle.

DAB

I used a 300 H&H this year on one at about 250yrds with 200 grn sierra bt,it rolled for about 5 yrds but not to big of a mess

I'm thinking the 125 gr Nosler would be a dandy choice. I loaded some up in a 300WSM for coyotes. I usually shoot 190 SMK but a 125 will be smoking out of a 300WM and just vaporize them.

+1 good choice

terminate with extreme prejudice.

I like that idea: .300 Win Mag on coyotes. Light bullet, fast speed (reduced leads for runners), low recoil. Cool!

The only drawback is the loud noise. Not much penalty there.

Karl in Phoenix

I shot a 110 grain Hornady SP with about 70 grains of IMR4064. It was extremely accurate out to about 200 yards and chrono'd at 3800 fps. But had a terrible BC.

hay I've shot bull frogs with a 30-06 and never break the skin.
even from off a bridge and from behind them shoot the mud right under their nose it will kick them 20 feet in the air and away from the water too.

Back