Pistol for Coyote Hunting

Cedarcrk

I am starting to pack my pistol while coyote calling and would be interested in hearing if anyone else is packing a pistol and their choice of caliber and model.

Have you killed a coyote with any of these, mainly the 22 mag and the 357. What were the results? I have been curious of the potential for the 22 mag but I am currently packing the S&W TRR8 357. I just have not had an opportunity to shoot one with it yet

Hi,
I pack a .357 mag shooting a 110gr Remington JHP out of
a 6" barrel. Havent shot a yote with it though!

I always carry either a Ruger SuperBlackhawk 44, Ruger .45 or a bond arms 410/45 long colt (sort of the cat on your back type pistol!) when I'm hunting.

As far as using it, I actually prefer the handguns on close shots just because of the adrenelin rush of eye to eye! although my closest shot was about 1 ft with a 20 gauge bolt

I also like deer/elk hunting with the 44 along in a chest holster, but no luck yet, I have not got close enough. The 45 P97 DC has a couple yotes.

i usually carry my usp 45, havent shot one with it. missed one with a glock one time , not my gun, the guy i was with didnt dare to shoot at the yote so i did, i never did like glocks i dont shoot them well for some reason. i have shot a fox with my 460 s&w ......... i wouldnt recommend that. not a fur friendly cartridge! effective however very very effective!

Always have a pistol on my lap. Got a fox last year with a 40 cal pistol. Neck shot at 35 yards laser verified.

3d6dba0a.jpg

I carry my Personal Protection Glock 19 (9mm with 124grn +P), unless in bear country, then it is the Glock 20 in 10mm and 200 grain flat point fmj, after 5 200 grain hollow points.

Last edited:
I think a .357 or a 44 mag would be a good choice. I have killed a deer wiht a .357 one shot he dropped like a rock. I shot one recently with 40 S&W and was really disappointed at the lack of performance. If you are wanting one shot stops I think I would favor 44mag, .357 mag, 41 mag, .45acp 10mm 45 long colt and heavier. You just never know what you will get when calling preditors - a friend of mine's son was cleaning a deer and got attacked by a cougar that he killed with his .45acp but he was pretty torn up when it was over.

Back