Brass Deflector= Dented Brass

5.56YoteKiller

I reloaded some 223 this morning and went outside to see how they would do.

I noticed the brass deflector is beating the crap out of the shoulders of the cases.

What, if anything do you guys use to prevent this?

A little stick on rubber pad like you put on furniture to keep from marking floors works well, I've also used the soft side of Velcro with good results. You will still get an occasional dent but nothing like without any protection.

I made some rubber defectors out of an old car inner tube that fastens around my scope mounts and hangs down over the ejection port... it slows down the ejected case and drops it right below the rifle... on the table if I'm shooting from a bench or at my feet if I'm standing...

It's just a matter of adjusting the tension on the flap to the point where it doesn't cause the ejected case to hang up in the port...

Hmm good ideas. Thanks guys.
I looked around the shop and found some black rubber pads (sticky on one side) used to cushion electronic components and keep them from sliding around on a shelf. I'll cut them to fit the deflector.

If your just trying to get around the real problem go ahead with pads, etc. The real problem lies in excessive bolt speed and or excessive ejector spring tension. Hot loads can also cause high bolt speeds. A stronger buffer spring like the Tubb CS, will slow the bolt down. If you go this road, make sure you get the right spring for your particular AR-15 type and gas system.

Shortening the ejector spring will keep the case body from slapping the locking lugs hard and limit the spin on the case as it goes through the ejection port to strike the deflector. This modification can keep your AR from tossing your brass 15 feet from your rifle at the same time. Check the link below.
http://www.gswagner.com/arejector/arejector.html

I have done these modifications, and the empty cases look like they came from a bolt action rifle rather than an AR-15. That is, no dents, dings or overly powder blackened cases.

I put tubbs cs flat wire springs in both my 5.56 and my 6.8. It will fix your dented case issue. I also weighted my carrier, which helped slow down the bolt for those really hot rounds.

I have not had any ill affect using the spring and or weight. Thats shooting hot and light loads, been 100% reliable.

Last edited:
It's already been said, but if the brass is coming out and striking your brass deflector that hard, it is an issue of changing your extractor spring. By changing the spring rates you can actually move the brass path from about 5 o clock all the way out to about 2 o clock.

Originally Posted By: HPWIt's already been said, but if the brass is coming out and striking your brass deflector that hard, it is an issue of changing your extractor spring. By changing the spring rates you can actually move the brass path from about 5 o clock all the way out to about 2 o clock.

It's not the EXTRACTOR spring, It's the EJECTOR spring.

I have had no feeding or extraction problems all. They all will fall in a nice little pile at about 3-4 O'clock, 2 feet from the rifle. Just follow the instructions carefully and you will have no problems. The standard ejector spring only needs about .015-.025 compression when installed and fully extended under the ejector plunger. If you get it too short, the ejected cases won't reliably clear the ejection port.

Here's some pics of what OT is talking about.
20080907083.jpg

20080907082.jpg

It's just cut from an old inner tube.

HTH
Mark

Did the ejector spring thing.
Fired 10 rds. and no dents on the cases.

Nice thing too is they all landed 2 ft. from me. Easy case recovery.
thumbup1.gif

ETA: A big thanks to SodakJim.

Last edited:
Back