Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1494725 - 01/22/10 10:31 PM central oregon cougar hunt camp
baltz526 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: lapine oregon
A cougar hunt camp is being done feb 19th - 28th on the winter range out of fort rock. the majority of the hunt area is a closed to motorized access, muledeer winter range. This is just a central camp with shared scouting info/campfire for the hunters that show up. The goal is to learn how to kill cougars by tracking/calling/glassing. No games, no prizes, no fees. If you have a oregon cougar tag, your in. Drunken loud slobs need not show up. OSP officer may join us for a few hunts, so keep it clean type of gathering.Pm for location if interested

Edited by baltz526 (01/22/10 10:32 PM)

#1494842 - 01/22/10 11:56 PM Re: central oregon cougar hunt camp [Re: baltz526]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

Loc: Gods Country
Good luck! Do you have any "speakers", that will be there to share knowledge? Is there any type of "program" for the nine days?
Is this just a hunt to get a bunch of guys in the same area to try and thin out the lions?
Any more info would be great.

Edited by Duane@ssu (01/22/10 11:56 PM)

"IF YOU'RE GONNA TALK SMART,YOU BETTER RIDE A FAST HORSE"

#1495164 - 01/23/10 10:33 AM Re: central oregon cougar hunt camp [Re: Duane@ssu]
mathewsshoot4life Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Sunriver Oregon
This really sounds neat. I had thought about putting on a similar cougar hunting seminar out that way 3 yrs ago. I shed hunt that area in april and have seen first hand the damage cougars are doing to the winter deer herd. Last year I found a record (personal) 19 cougar kills. never in my life had I seen so much carnage in the woods. Most of the kills (13) were younger bucks (3 point and smaller). I just can't imagine what it will be like this year.

I may send some tag holders out your way. these guys are great hunters with lots of experience, just not stealthy enough to get a long tail yet. Maybe you can steer them to a successful hunt.

thanks for bringing this to our attention.

#1495257 - 01/23/10 12:10 PM Re: central oregon cougar hunt camp [Re: mathewsshoot4life]
baltz526 Offline
Seasoned Member

We want to kill cougars, this area has cougars. We killed one 9yr old male last year with 8 hunters out. There are hunters with skills to kill cougars and we will be sharing knownledge about cougar hunting. But this is not a commercial gathering in any way. no one will be selling anything, charging any fees. Basicly a group of hunters attempting to save some deer/elk/porkupines from being turned into cougar crap.

#1505781 - 01/30/10 09:44 PM Re: central oregon cougar hunt camp [Re: baltz526]
baltz526 Offline
Seasoned Member

A little intrest has been shown. 3 weeks to go.

#1505808 - 01/30/10 10:05 PM Re: central oregon cougar hunt camp [Re: baltz526]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

I agree with saving deer, and elk, But as a dog man I would just as soon see every "Porky" killed.
When OR changes the law to let us run lions with dogs, I'll help them out.Until then, I'll help the hunters in Utah and Nevada, by killing lions in those states.

#1505881 - 01/30/10 10:57 PM Re: central oregon cougar hunt camp [Re: Duane@ssu]
baltz526 Offline
Seasoned Member

Porkupines have a job to do. They are the thinners of our forests. It is a hassle to pull quils out of dogs, but dogs learn. At least mine have after a couple encounters in years past. It has been years since i saw one while out hunting. Have not even seen a track. Just a few road kills.

Edited by baltz526 (02/01/10 02:09 AM)

#1505916 - 01/30/10 11:33 PM Re: central oregon cougar hunt camp [Re: baltz526]
DoubleCK Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Wauneta, NE / Gold Canyon, AZ
PPs do not get a pass here. Our forests are thin enough.

#1505984 - 01/31/10 12:45 AM Re: central oregon cougar hunt camp [Re: baltz526]
jaspa Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: fulton co. pa
Originally Posted By: baltz526
Porkupines have a job to do. They are the thinners of our forests. It is a hassel to pull quils out of dogs, but dogs learn. At least mine have after a couple encounters in years past. It has been years since i saw one while out hunting. Have not even seen a track. Just a few road kills.

First time I have ever heard someone say that quill pigs have a job to do. I guess I do too that is to exterminate them.

#1506191 - 01/31/10 09:49 AM Re: central oregon cougar hunt camp [Re: jaspa]
screech Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: UP of Michigan
Funny how opinions change on critters in differnt parts of the country, here in MI you shoot a porky every chance you get, they can do a lot of damage to log cabins, and are pretty much a nuiciance animal around here.

But I agree, they all have theyre place, and if the forests in your area need some thinning, leave them be.

#1506551 - 01/31/10 02:30 PM Re: central oregon cougar hunt camp [Re: screech]
mulepacker Offline

Loc: Sheridan, WY
We never let a porky go if we can help it, pulling quills
our of your dog is bad enough, try pulling them out of
your mule's nose.

#1507600 - 02/01/10 02:08 AM Re: central oregon cougar hunt camp [Re: mulepacker]
baltz526 Offline
Seasoned Member

There is one type of porkupine that just went extinct. Cougar over predation in the south warners of nevada has eaten them all. Thanks to california cougar hunting ban, allowing the cougars to over populate. Extinction is not a goal any hunter should want. I think we need to worry about cougar over population Due to voter banned hound hunting of cougar in oregon. In the mean time i'll keep trying to eat as many cougars as possible. By calling and tracking them.

#1508309 - 02/01/10 06:14 PM Re: central oregon cougar hunt camp [Re: baltz526]
baltz526 Offline
Seasoned Member

PS: We do not want to turn the porkupine into the next spotted owl

#1508830 - 02/01/10 10:46 PM Re: central oregon cougar hunt camp [Re: baltz526]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

I have no trouble tracking lions, but I darn sure don't do it to save Quill pigs. Until they change the law, I'm gonna kill every porky I come across. You're right ,dogs do learn, but when you have a 3500$ dog, with a throat full of quills maybe you will change your opinion.
I say the forest is thin enough.

#1509789 - 02/02/10 06:16 PM Re: central oregon cougar hunt camp [Re: Duane@ssu]
baltz526 Offline
Seasoned Member

You assume i do not have dogs? What i know is there are no porkupines to worry about around here. Pretty soon the anti's may start the save the porkupine campaign And you may well be their poster boy. The porkupine is the animal that tells how bad the cougar problem is, in an area. If you find multipal porkupine, there is not a cougar problem. If you never find any porkupines You have a serious cougar problem. I pray to start finding porkupines again, It may show that the cougar population has crashed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.