New to me 5mm Remington Magnum

Originally Posted By: Quarter RoundBCB, Some of the rifles had pretty rough barrels and did copper foul pretty bad. So there will be some varying experinces out there. I got lucky and the one I have cleans up pretty easy and will handle several rounds before it needs swabbed out.

Juanjo, I would keep the rifle as a rimfire until they quit making ammo for it. Midway and other internet suppliers have it in stock.

I've owned six of them including a then new Model 592 that I bought in 1971, and I never have had a problem with the bores in any of them. In addition, I've seen quite a few others owned by friends, etc., and never heard of a bad bore in one of them.

My guess is a bad bore in one of them today is owner/operator induced...

I guess I've led a charmed life.... I've never bought a bad Remington 700, never had trouble reloading the 22 Hornet, nor had or seen a bad bore in a 5mm RF rifle.... Maybe I should buy a Lotto ticket.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: TNyoteboyOriginally Posted By: JuanjoOriginally Posted By: TNyoteboyMy Uncle used to carry one after they had stopped manufacturing them and ammo was hard to find. He was very stingy with his shots.

TNYB,

I went to a local gunshop and they have some of that 5mm ammo and selling.. well displayed for $44.95 YEAH RIGHT.. that shop needs to log on into the internet more often.. and if the ammo was even half that price then I can understand his point of view..

Juan

This was about 30 years ago

Yeah that's longer that what I figured it would be..

-Juan

Originally Posted By: Bayou City BoyOriginally Posted By: Quarter RoundBCB, Some of the rifles had pretty rough barrels and did copper foul pretty bad. So there will be some varying experinces out there. I got lucky and the one I have cleans up pretty easy and will handle several rounds before it needs swabbed out.

Juanjo, I would keep the rifle as a rimfire until they quit making ammo for it. Midway and other internet suppliers have it in stock.

I've owned six of them including a then new Model 592 that I bought in 1971, and I never have had a problem with the bores in any of them. In addition, I've seen quite a few others owned by friends, etc., and never heard of a bad bore in one of them.

I guess I've led a charmed life.... I've never bought a bad Remington 700, never had trouble reloading the 22 Hornet, nor had or seen a bad bore in a 5mm RF rifle.... Maybe I should buy a Lotto ticket.
grin.gif

That ain't no lie.. you may hit the jackpot.. !

-Juan

Originally Posted By: JuanjoOriginally Posted By: Bayou City BoyOriginally Posted By: Quarter RoundBCB, Some of the rifles had pretty rough barrels and did copper foul pretty bad. So there will be some varying experinces out there. I got lucky and the one I have cleans up pretty easy and will handle several rounds before it needs swabbed out.

grin.gif

That ain't no lie.. you may hit the jackpot.. !

-Juan

My feeling is that my "good luck" in these things has had to do with things other than just "good luck"...

JMO - BCB

Back