223 effective range

My longest confirmed coyote kill was ranged at 352 yards but I'm not scared to shoot out too 400 yards. This is my capablity not the rifle. I have seen shots on utube at almost 900yards with a 223. I'm just not that good, Yet.

It also depends on what bullet you are using. The heavier bullets are good for longer ranges but shoot like a rainbow. The lighter bullets I think have shorter range but slightly flatter trajectory in closer due to higher velocity. I would say using normal varmint type bullets 400 yards is right at max. Not to say that you can't lob one in at 1000 yards but I don't think that is entirely realistic since there are so many other calibers better suited both ballistically and ethically.

Ive shot p-dogs at 800+ yards with a 50 gr vmax a few times, it looks like they were hit with a .22 cb when I got up to them to check damage, but it still killed em.

Quite a bit of difference in klinking a piece of steel or punching a hole through paper at long range vs actually killing a coyote sized animal. Let your concience be your guide.

I have shot a bunch of ground hogs, and a few coyotes with the 223 cartridge. I do not have enough experience on coyotes to give a trusted answer, but I can attest to what the cartridge will do to WV, PA, and MD groundhogs.

These ground hogs are pretty tough critters, and it takes a good solid hit to anchor them.

First off I detest crawl offs, so my ranges are limited to what I consider are humane distances to anchor a ground hog. I limit my shots to 300 yards with a bolt action rifle. I do shoot many out to 400 yards with my RR AR, however I always deliver a very fast follow up shot to anchor the animal.

The cartridge wil kill at longer distances, no doubt. However you wil run the risk of crawl offs, and I do not do that. Tom.

I try to keep shots under 300 yds. I dont like aiming up in the sky hoping to hit them. If you want to shoot farther then they are several other cal to do that.

Depends on your bullet sellection and shot placment. I watched 2 coytes shot at 260 yards with a 40g Vmax that spun a 30 good times each and one ran around another 40 yards before expireing. I have personaly only shot one coyote with a .223. I used a 60g Vmax dropping it on the spot with a straight on chest shot. The other two Yotes mentioned above were broadside shots hitting them about an inch behind the shoulder. No pelt damage and no exiting, just alot of drama before dropping. I would not personaly shoot over 300 yards with a .223 even though it will kill much further. If I plan on shooting farther distances, I prefer a more powerful caliber.

thanks i was just wondering. I was shooting it at 350 the other day and was finding i could hit good from there and just wondered where every set their limit with. I think i would have to agree to 300-350 tops on

50 - 55 gr bullets work for me at 350 yds, regularly. I believe that a well built bullet in that weight range will take coyotes to 400, or maybe more, I just haven't tried them at that range, on coyotes.
Mark

I've taken coyotes to 550 yds. using an AR in 223 AI. Using a tested system with a higher BC bullet (65 SGK and up) 500-600 under totally calm days is about the limit of it.

National match shooters make hits at 1,000 yards with AR15's.
I realize that shooting at game and punching paper are two different things and would only shoot as far as I am comfortable with but I would not be afraid to "walk" a bullet towards a distant rodent.

On prairie dogs, with the 55gr. Sierra SBT, about 400 yards. With the 65gr. Sierra, about 500 yards. With the 77gr. Sierra MK, about 650 yards. These estimates are all for calm conditions. I also don't count the low probability hits at longer ranges.

My trouble starts when the wind blows. For me, you can easily cut those ranges in half with a variable 15mph wind.

John

Originally Posted By: yotesmokerzjust wondering what the max range everyone has for the 223

As you can see that varies a lot depending on what we are doing at this "max range".

For punching paper or ringing gongs, their are people on this forum who hit out past 600 yards with 223.

For shooting coyotes everyone is probably going to be a lot less than that. Personally with my 16 inch RRA and 75 or 69 grain bullets I like to keep things 275 and in.

My 223 40gr Vmax load (3650 fps) at 500 yards is ballistcally identical to a 22mag 40gr JHP (1900 fps) at 90 yards in terms of velocity and ft lbs. Not ideal, but certainly do-able. See this thread: http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1360528&page=1

Most agree the 22mag is ok out to 100 yards with 40gr bullets, so why not the 223 out to 500? It has the capability, it's the shooter's skills that are the limiting factor.

My answer is basically the same. Yotes are bigger targets. I do change over to the Bergers and NwCP hunting bullets though.

Dirty Dog, to an extent you are correct; under ideal conditions and calm or at least steady wind. Unfortunately, those are rarely the outside conditions.

John

That's exactly why it's the shooter's skills are the limiting factor. You have to compensate for drop and wind with ALL calibers at longer distances. If you can't hit a coyote with a 308 at 500 then you won't be able to hit it with a 223 either, the wind and drop for both calibers are quite similar at 500 and both require compensation for atmospheric conditions.

The 223 physically has the power to kill coyotes at 500 yards IF the shooter can accurately place a shot at that distance. If he can't, well the the caliber he's shooting is irrelevent because a miss with a 50BMG is no better than a miss with a 223.

Conclusion: the 223 has plenty of killing ability out to as far as most of us would ever typucally take a shot under normal hunting conditions. 200, 300, 400 yards, go for it. 500 yards it's now only as powerful as a 22mag but still plenty lethal with a decent shot. But most of us rarely shoot further than 150-200 yards anyways and 300 is a really long shot for most of us.

The BC of the bullet makes a huge amount of difference at 400-600 yds. Take a look at the external ballistics of a ~.35-.4 BC bullet starting at 3000-3100 at 500-600 compared to a 224 40 grainer @ 3650 mv. I bet u're gonna see the same windage at ~300 yds. compared to 500 for the .4 bullet, or at least close. Energy will be way higher at longer ranges due to the weight (and BC) of the bullet being so much greater.

The trick is getting the bullets to perform once they impact that 6" tgt..

Back