raccoon

deerhunter1995

does any one hunt raccoons? i saw one yesterday while deer huntin and i saw it go back into the tree i know that there is at least one more, how should i get them out to shoot them? i woulda shot it but all i had was my .243.

thanks yall
merry christmas

I hunt 'em with dogs. It's a BLAST!!
thumbup.gif

get a coon squaller and give it a call like a dying rabbit the tone is diff and they will come out
or try to make a growling sound in it but watch it as they can and will charge if its a big boar and hes rarin to fight lol

we hunt dogs and trap, not worth much this year but thye destroy our deer feeders empty 100lbs of food in a night even with varmit guards

Use an e-caller with coon distress or boar fight. If their in there they will come out. Just be ready to shoot when they do.

Walk in the woods with a squaller and look up in the trees at night with headlamps as you squall; you should find a family or two. Look in big, dead, hollow trees by creeks and riverbottoms.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: deerhunter1995advise on traps please!

Havahart and other cage traps work well. Use marshmallows for bait to keep from catching skunks.

If you want to catch skunks too, then use dry cat food.

I like to use a 4" plastic pipe cap to hold the bait.

Works pretty well for keeping the varmints out of the chicken pens, that's for sure! 'Tween that and the ones I shoot with a rifle, they don't stand much chance around here.

Daryl

I've always hunted with dogs and a .22

You could try trapping it in a cage with some cat food. That always works, but you could also catch a cat, skunk, opossum, or a raccoon...

I've got two so for and I'm making the biggest one into a hat...

Last edited:
Get the new Predator Phase #2 by the TBR guys they have a segmant on daylight coon calling,it is awsome all you need
is your Foxpro or whatever caller,and a decoy,I am waiting for some sounds for my machine and I am goona get on them.
Also listen to this segmant of Predator Talk Cast,its free
Brian interviews the guys about coon calling.It is episode #21
you can download it onto your Ipod or listen to it on your desktop. :)I cant wait to try it!!! P.S. The TBR guys footage of yote hunting is worth it to, great bunch of guys!

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=34247&cmd=tc

And here is a clip of the calling,enjoy!!!

i just look in my back yard. they live in a barn about 1/4 mile from my house and come and eat the garbage in our trash cans. i shoot it after my dad scared it. i live in a place where i can shoot out of my back yard.

I am not trying to be mean by posting this in responce to the answer Why I am just giving information not starting anything.

Because it is a way to collect and sellect good hides for selling. Also it is a management tacktic for turkey, quail, and pheasant to keep eggs on the ground so that the population can have a better chance at surviving. Also there have been many framer that have lost poultry stock to these animals and for egg collectors and pullet raisers these animals are bad news cuts into their pocket books and cost them money every year.
I hope this helps those that wonder why and there are many other reason that a conservation officer can help you with but I am not just a farm boy.

You got that right Jrbb00,the biggest predator to farmers and to waterfowl,song birds,exotic shorline birds,turkey and game fowl,is the CROW!!! the next is the RACCOON!!!,back in the day we used to hunt them with dogs,barely anyone does that any more and coons are overpopulating bigtime!!!
smile.gif

Thanks BAYSTATE YOTE, the talk cast that is listed above is awsome I think that I have played all of them and have got information that I can use from every one of them. And the coon segment made me order a mojo critter, pick up some #4 pheasant load and break out my coon e-calls. Just got the critter in yesterday so today if it is not raining I am going to see how well it works. Mainly due to a quail population dropping faster than I would ever could have imagined. I am not a quail hunter but I do love watching them when in the woods.

Keep me posted I will be doing the same thing,this week is the last week for raccoons here.!!!
Please spread the word on the Brian Downs PREDATOR TALK CAST,it is awsome to listen to interviews with the calling greats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back