What factory ammo?

chip01

Well my upper should be in tomorrow so I'm heading to the store today to get some stuff. What factory ammo should I get in 55gr for my 1:8 twist rra 20in bull. Will be shooting yotes and targets as close as I can call them and as far as the bullet will travel.already decided on the 20rd magpul mags. What's a good sling also for walking in the woods. Thanks

Last edited:
I have had great success in shooting Black Hills ammo in my AR. 1:9 twist barrel but the 50 to 60 grain V-max's are excellent, with the 8 twist you should be able to shoot a heavier bullet if you desire but a 55 grainer should be fine also. I would highly recommend Black Hills either blue box (reloads) or red box (new) as they have worked well for me.

+1 on the Ultramax. 55 grain vmax groups under an inch through my Remmy R-15. Anyone having any luck with the 40 grain factory ammo in their 1:9?

Last edited:
I might try a couple different ones and see how they shoot. Im gonna start reloading pretty soon just got to get the dies and brass and all that.

My 16" barrel in a 1 to 9" twist likes the 45gr hollow point Remington puts out.
150 yards is the furthest I have had an opportunity to shoot them however.

Originally Posted By: venaticDo not overlook the Ultramax ammo pretty good stuff. Yea its good stuff! Also the 60gr V-max Blackhills in the blue box is good stuff.I just got more myself from Cabela's.
thumbup.gif

They didnt have a great supply so I got 2 boxes of hornady 55gr hornady vmax. They didnt have any magpul 20rd mags in black so I got a 30rd tangodown to last me till I order some. Ive heard magpul are the best but this seemed like a pretty good mag for 15$. Guess I will have to order some magpuls tonight. What kind of slings are u guys running.

Quote:hornaday 55gr v-max under a half inch group out of my Rock River!

Same here. Outgrouped everything else I tested by a wide margin (1" vs. 1/2", and part of that's probably too much coffee).
grin.gif

I'm using this sling setup for hunting, and love it.

017.jpg
DSCN0319.jpg
DSCN0320.jpg

That front mount is a KNS pivot pin QD mount and the rear is an ACE side-mount swivel (hard to tell with the tape on it).

Blueforce Vickers sling.

Good to hear about the hornady's. I like that sling. I couldn't decide if I wanted one that mnts in a single place or something like that but I like the way that looks.

I found it here (on page 2):

KNS pivot pin/sling stud

Just be aware you can't reverse it and have the sling on the ejection port side, due to the design of the lower receiver. There's no flat on the left side to trap the flat on the pin.

Midway carries it, too. I probably bought it from them.

KNS pin at Midway

If you go with that setup, use a locking QD swivel like I did, because you need to unscrew the pin to remove the upper. That's easy to do with the sling disconnected, but if not, it's going to be a mess.
cursing.gif

Last edited:
Back