223 AI or 204

BWB

Looking for a new rifle for PD's mainly and I'm wondering what everyone thinks about these two calibers? I want to stick with a caliber that takes SR primers for reloading purposes. These are the two I'm torn between. Obviously I'm going to reload for either, just wondering about pro's and con's of both. Would probably stay under a 55 gr. bullet with the 223AI and would try and get a load for the 40 gr. in the 204. This is probably going to be a custom build based on the Savage Target Action/Trigger.

I have a Savage .204 and its a fun shooter. Im also considering the AI due to the bullet choices available in .224. Bullets are getting better for the .204 however. Tough decision.

Well I already have a heavy bbl 22-250, 243 (55 gr. pills) and 223 - just looking for something different this year
smile.gif

I struggled with the same decision until I saw a Cooper Phoenix in 204. Happy with my purchase but never know when a 223AI will show up... I really dont think you can go wrong with either caliber.

I have both the .204 and a .223 AI that I just got built a couple of months ago. My AI is (so far) certainly less picky about its ammo than my .204 is. And I don't really know why either. But I have been having a blast with the Ackley. I am even wondering just what too me so long to have one built. I have known about them for a long time but after a bit of research and talking to those that had them, correspondence with Steve Timm on this forum, I went and had a ER Shaw .223 barrel rechamberd and installed on my Savage 112. Last time at the range with it I shot a 5 shot group of just .280". Did this just sighting it back in after a scope swap. You bet I am planning on having it with me on a Wyoming prairie dog trip this year.

My .204 had been a bit of a dissapointment, but part of that is that it has just never pulled my chain for some reason. The Ackley has and has pulled it hard too. Cant wait for summertime to get here. I have big plans for it.

223AI80grSMK.jpg

I just spent some time at the range fireforming brass today. I really like my 223AI's. This one is a fast twist pushing 80GR SMKS at 2820fps in virgin brass.

I was never that impressed with either 204 I had. They were hard to tune.

I'm planning a .223AI this summer myself. I thought about the .204, but then I'd have to buy a supply of 20 caliber bullets, brass, and don't forget you'll need a good .20 caliber cleaning rod! I have tons of .223 brass, bullets, and cleaning rods already, so my choice was easy.

Originally Posted By: BWBMan you guys are making this decision easy! What barrel twist should I look for to 50 - 55 grain pills?

For my AI I had no desire to use anything heavier than 55 grains ever. I do like to see those critters explode with the lighter bullets. So my choice was the 1-14 twist barrel. And it was a good one it seems because my Ackley will put either the 40 grain or the 50 grain (the 50 is a bit better though) in a half inch or better 5 shot group. There are so many good aftermarket barrels out there too. In my opinion the Shaw barrel is the bargain of the bunch. Not just my opinion alone for that matter.

Whatever you get, you going to love that AI.

Would a 1:12 be a little more versitile in the 50 - 55 range or will a 1:14 shoot anything from 40 - 60 grains well? My AR .223 is a 1:9 and LOVES 52 gr A-Max's.

Ballisticly (sp?)the .223AI will be twin to your .22-250. Two things that have not been mentioned are recoil and barrel heating. The .204 will allow you to call your own shots fairly well if it's in a heavy barreled rifle. It also burns less powder and therefore will heat your barrel a little slower. (Also somewhat cheaper to load.) Just a little more food for thought to keep you awake at night! Good luck with whatever you choose. It should be awesome.

I doubt that you would tell much of a diff between the 1-12 and the 1-14 twist but yes- if you are ever going to shoot bullets as heavy (and I am not) as 60 grain then sure, go for the 1 and 12.

BTW my Savage 112 before I had it rebarrelled to the .223 AI had a factory 1 and 9" twist and it shot the Nosler Ballistic Tips superbly. My favorite bullet even. 40 grain bullets, well, not so hot. That is why I wanted the 1-14" twist. And glad I did it too.

Plus, my AR-15 Varminter has a 1-14" twist on it (another ER Shaw barrel) as well as my custom .220 Swift. If I feel the need for a longer heavier bullet it simple- I pull out my .243 Win or maybe even a 25-06. I have had 35 years of playing around with different barrels and different twist, and for my kind of shooting, it is the 1-14 for me.

Hope this helps.

Personal preference. I've shot the .223AI for about 11yrs now and like it very much. Performance is about like a 22-250......accuracy loads with AA2015 powder and 50's is at 3825 and 40BalTips at up to 4200. The 204 came out and everyone gushed over it, I'd thought about having one built. Then comparing trajectory/windage with 40's and 50's to what people say they're getting from the 204 shooting 32's and 40's, the cartridges were so similar as to be virtually the same. I couldn't see any reason going to a new bore size. Barrel wear?......a Winchester .204 case actually holds about 1gr more powder than a formed IMI .223AI case. My .223AI is braked and there's no recoil or muzzle rise.
****223AI - 14" twist, chamber 1.765" long, .250"nk, 0 freebore, brass IMI or Lapua Dakota, all bullets have thin film of Lee Lube.

Ive got a 223AI 14 twist setting here too, and had many others in the past so Im just waiting to melt down this 204 Apache before re-installing it back on my action. The 14 twist barrels will stabalize the 60gr bullets also. I only say that because for some reason I havent had much luck with my 12 twist .224 barrels (I dont know why). I recomend 14 twist barrels unless your going to go above 60gr bullets. The 12 twist barrels will stabalize 69gr SMKs.
I put this 8 twist barrel together just for shooting LOOOONG range Prairie dogs. I was thinking the extra BCs might be helpfull and, since the 223AI isnt exactly a barrel burner, I should be able to run the 50gr noslers also.

Back