replacing 512 johnny stewart batteries [HELP]

deerjackie

my dad has an old, unused 512 cassette caller that the batteries went sour from siting and not using years back. the unit is unused. the 2 batteries are 512 a batteries. will 2 ub 645 batteries tied together to make 12 volts work here. i thought i might find someone on here that has done,or attempted to do this.thanks for your help.dj

Last edited:
I've replaced the batteries in a bunch of JS512 callers.

I'd be glad to try and help, but I'm not real clear on what you're wanting to know? Do you want to know if those batteries you mentioned will fit in the caller case?

yes,digging coyotes. will ub 645 replace and fit where 512a bateries were? dad said he took it apart and batteries read 512a i searched and they made 2 sizes and ub 645 fills the ticket as far as i can read on it. r 15 predator. if the answer i get is yes search ub 645 or mojo duck decoy battery.thanks yall for the help and concern.

Just make sure what your getting fits in the case! They made 2 different sizes.I guess I should say measure the batteries that are in it and have them measure the ones your ordering to be sure they fit.I personally wouldn't go by what it says.

Last edited:
deerjackie, like bobcat mentioned, the 512 callers were manufactured with 2 different sized cases. The main difference being what size batteries would fit in them and the bigger batteries are about double the amp hr. rating.

If the ub645 batteries are the same deminsions as the batteries that are in the caller now they will work and you have what I always called the *big case 512*.

I looked up the ub645 battery specs and according to my old notes they are the correct physical size to fit. The ub645 batts are very reasonably priced. Good find there.

Were the old original batteries in the caller Panasonic LCR-6V5P by some chance?

Some other notes I kept if you're interested.... The big case batteries (per 2) weigh 3 lbs, 13 oz

The small case batteries (per 2) weigh 1 lb 4 oz

Big case caller without speaker weighs 6 lbs 2 oz

Small case without speaker weighs 4 lbs 3 oz

Hope that helped.

no the old batteries were not panasonic. dad took it apart and told me the numbers on batteries were 512a. i will have a look for myself and thanks for your helpful notes on the weights.wish i had my old johnny box that was stolen years back and i could replace the bateries in it also.thanks for the help. dj

I would venture to guess the #512a on the batteries was only for telling some assembly person those batteries were for that particular 512 model caller. I know it's got nothing to do with the battery manufacturer.

I've had several different brands of batteries show up in the 512 callers over the years. I know most were the original batteries that came in the callers. I think they probably had different battery suppliers through the years depending on availability and cost.

Back