Alliant New Powders

roper

Power Pro™ Series
Introducing Power Pro™ - a series of canister spherical powders engineered to provide the ultimate performance for pistol, light varmint, and light/medium/magnum rifles. Power Pro delivers improved velocity and density for more efficient reloading and helps reloaders duplicate certain factory loaded ammunition. They are an excellent addition to Alliant Powder’s existing lineup of proven and trusted propellants.

Features & Benefits
• Manufactured in the USA
• Improved velocity and density for more efficient metering and loading
• Designed for magnum pistol, light varmint and light/medium/magnum rifles
• Enables reloaders to duplicate certain factory loaded ammunition
• Designed for specific cartridges and applications
• Density designed for proper cartridge fit

150529 Power Pro—300MP; 1 lb. bottle
150530 Power Pro—300MP; 8 lb. canister
150531 Power Pro—Varmint; 1 lb. bottle
150532 Power Pro—Varmint; 8 lb. canister
150537 Power Pro—4000MR; 1 lb. bottle
150538 Power Pro—4000MR; 8 lb. canister
150533 Power Pro—2000MR; 1 lb. bottle
150534 Power Pro—2000MR; 8 lb. canister
150535 Power Pro—3000LR; 1 lb. bottle
150536 Power Pro—3000LR; 8 lb.

Originally Posted By: wdchuckhuntr Last I checked they hadn't released any other information about these powders, such as burn rates and load data.

Your right wish they done it same when R-17 hit the market. Since there owned by the same company that owns Speers might be waiting to run the test with their newer bullets.

Making ball powder, I wonder if it's Winchester/Hodgdon powder under their label? Various ball powders made here the the USA, has to be made by another company. Ramshot is from Belgium.

Originally Posted By: YotecallrMaking ball powder, I wonder if it's Winchester/Hodgdon powder under their label? Various ball powders made here the the USA, has to be made by another company. Ramshot is from Belgium.

Alliant manufactures their own powder, just up the road in Radford, VA. A very large percentage of the worlds ball powders are manufactured by SMP in Florida.

John

Heard anything on prices of this new line? I'd heard some rumor a few months ago about Alliant repackaging some of it's existing powders with a better price on 8 lbs containers. Heard anything like that?

Originally Posted By: wdchuckhuntr Last I checked they hadn't released any other information about these powders, such as burn rates and load data.

That's what I thought too, but I was wrong. They just have a really crappy website and should fire their webmaster.

If you dig through their site, you can find a link the pdf of their free reloaders guide. There is data in there. I have been wondering where the heck the data was for months.

http://glarp.atk.com/2010/2010_Catalogs/AlliantPowderReloadersGuide.pdf

Truly, they have the worst internet presence I know of.

They haven't figured out how to put several loads for one caliber with different powders on one page, even though I complained. Who would want to print off multiple pages when it could all be on one page. Like Hodgdon does.

Originally Posted By: YotecallrSt Marks was owned by Winchester, who is now owned by Hodgdon.

Your part right Olin Corp owned St Marks Powder and that company became General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems (OTS) it came about over a lawsuit or something like that.

In the shareholder release last Nov. Alliant said that they have now purchased the license to manufacture the Nitro Chemie propellants for themselves. This can only mean good things are to come. I can't wait!
John

Originally Posted By: pcammoOriginally Posted By: YotecallrMaking ball powder, I wonder if it's Winchester/Hodgdon powder under their label? Various ball powders made here the the USA, has to be made by another company. Ramshot is from Belgium.

Alliant manufactures their own powder, just up the road in Radford, VA. A very large percentage of the worlds ball powders are manufactured by SMP in Florida.

John

My jugs of Alliant says "Made in Sweden"

Dyno Nobel purchased the Swedish Nitro Nobel in 1986, prior to that they had purchased Alliant's parent company "Hercules" in 1985

Moving some of the gun powder manufacturing to Sweden
with the closure or detonation of most of the US facilities they had to make it somewhere

Last edited:
the new Alliant spherical powders - Power Pro - are manuf'd by St. Marks Powders in St. Marks,Fla....there's a write-up in Propellant Profiles on Power Pro 300-MP in feb issue of HANDLOADER...non-subscribers should see it in about 2weeks.
St Marks Powder is now owned by General Dynamics..originally Olin then PRIMEX now General Dynamics...GD also owns the Ontario,Canada facility that makes IMR line and the single base powders of Accurate...also,the Accurate ball is manuf'd at St Marks...
RL15 and RL22 are still made in Sweden....RL17 is Swiss made...

Last edited:
That is really funny. Most of my retirement is wrapped up in ATK stock. Every now and then, I even read the propaganda they send. I have even visited the Radford facility, where we were shown the extruded powder production facility. But you guys are correct, the R series is manufactured in Sweden. The other funny thing is that over my career, I have loaded somewhere in the neighborhood of 350,000 pounds of powder. Less than ten pounds of which was any of the R series.
John

This is exciting. I skimmed thru the load guide that who me posted the link to; Thanks by the way, and found this:

125 gr Speer GDHP
Power Pro 300MP
Fed 100
1.580”
22.3C
2000 fps

Now they don't say how long that test barrel was but that should put a hurtin on some varmints.

pcammo....175 tons of powder!!!....you must have loaded commercially or had a pet that began with "GE" and was belt-fed....you and dillon must share some BIG IRON.....
the Hercules line of RL7,11,12,15&22 have always given me exceptional results....based upon what i saw being sold in a couple of phx gunshops the rifle powders aren't (or weren't) that popular (dust accumulation along with counter talk)...RL25 did help their popularity...
175 tons......outstanding!...they should have given ya shares!

Last edited:
Back