Nightforce - is it worth the bucks

va_ken

I've had many of the top end scopes except a Nightforce. I know some of you guys have them - are they worth the bucks? What is your favorite varmint reticle? Best place to buy a Nightforce?

I really like the dead-hold BDC reticle from Vortex. Sorry but i haven't looked through a nightforce. i'm gonna follow this thread as i am curious what some people think of their value- are you really getting that much more bang for your buck.

I have a very good friend who uses nothing but NF's. He uses the BR version exclusively on his PD rifles.

I have shot them, and really like what I see. However, I just haven't brought myself to signing on the dotted line. There are a couple of new Swaro's in the pantry this year so I'm getting closer to that price range.

No doubt, they are superb and the question in my mind is, are they worth it to you? That's a lot of "franklins".

I have never owned a Nightforce personally, but have seen quite a few. I think it all narrows down to what you need it for. If I needed a scope that I can beat the crap out of and expect it to always hold zero and perform, then I might choose a nighforce. If I just needed a scope to take to the range and back, I might go a different route. Although it seems quite a few BR shooters use them, so that says something too. Maybe if I could afford one I'd have a different opinion.
smile.gif

Another thing NF brings to the table is matching reticle turrents. Having MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA adjustment is very important to some people.

What are you wanting to use it for? When you say you have had many top end scopes, what brands were you meaning? Just wondering for comparison sake.

I've got two of them on my 1000 yard guns, the BR model 12X42X56 w/DD reticle. I've compared them on the line with Leupolds, and think they are clearer than a 8.5-25X50. I believe that they are worth it, but it's the limit for me at that price point. But going to varmint type scope, you're jumping up to the NXS and it's related price. Personally, I run all Leupolds in the hunting fields, and am more than pleased with that dollar/value price point. To jump to a S&B, March, etc. moves it to a whole lotta money for not the related increase in performance for me. To put it into perspective, there's an awfull lot of people that would love to jump up to a Leupold, for example.

I have a few and like the MLR reticle w/ MIL adjustments. If you learn you reticle it makes it real easy to shoot quickly.

IMO, NF is costly but worth it, as I have never had any trouble with any of them and they are almost as good to see through as a S&B. Very sturdy as well.

Everyone's comments have given me much to think about. Alf uses NF and comments that many shooters would like to make the move up to Leupold. I already have Leupold and Zeiss and like my toys, pricey as they are. I was just trying to make the argument for a NF, but for general varmint and predator shooting, I just cant see the extra cost over a high end Leupold or equivalent.

I have done a lot of research lately about the best glass, while many will dispute NF optics (normally people who haven't looked through them) there is no denying that they are used in long distance shooting, benchrest competitions. If your needs are just varmint and predator shooting then I would suggest to save a lil money and go with zeiss, meopta, sightron, for the money you get great scopes. I have used leupolds almost exlusively until I got a meopta and it IMHO is better glass. I have sold my Mark IV and have gone to Schmidt & Bender because you will hear this over and over again, One look through an S&B and you will see where the xtra mulah goes to, this glass is exceptional in everyway shape or form. That said, if it means anything, people classify S&B #1 barnone and NF #2 in optics. Goodluck searching.

-Juan

Don't look through one unless you want to own one! Awesome glass. Sharper than my Swarovskis, and the lighted reticle is a major bonus for low light. The glass will outlast the rifle so I consider it a good investment.

got 2 NXS's one 3.5x15x56 np-r1, the other 5.5x22x56 np-r2, they are high quality scopes, good glass love the MOA reticles, but like ROADKILL and Juanjo said above you can always go big$$$ with the S&B or USO, i haven't looked through either but heard really good things about both.

dude, i swear sometimes you can see THROUGH things it's so clear! that red dot in the middle of mine and the first focal plane is amazing. you don't have to dial the dot all the way back to "0" to turn it off, you just put it 1/2 notch up or down and then just turn it 1/2 back to turn it on. on a Larue SPR mount it is better than excellent.

Where are you guys getting the best deal on Nightforce and what reticle is most popular for varmints? Also see they have a new velocity reticle that appears to be similar to Leupold varmint reticle.

If you think they are worth the money, they are. I don't think so. In fact i don't think any scope is worth $1000 or even $600. Just to many really good scpoes out there that do pretty much the same thing for a lot less money.

Great Topic, here is what I do when I want to buy a scope.

I determine exactly what I want to do, and exactly what options a scope must have to meet those requirements.

I have been shooting at longer ranges over the last several years so turrets and tracking have become an important part of the equation for me. IMO this is where the NF scopes really shine. Tracking and repeatability are two of the key features for NF optics. My Swaros's will track as well as the NF, however the Swaro turrets are not long distance shooting "friendly".

Personally I believe the Swaro glass is better than the Japanese NF glass, but it is a close call. S&B is definitely the Cadillac, but they are also a couple of steps above in price range.

If you are not in a hurry to buy a NF then I woud wait a bit. I have already seen them being discounted(close to $200), and believe there will be more discounts in the near future(just my opinion).

Make a list of the features you actualy need, then buy the best glass that fills those needs.

I would like a new NF for my long distance 22-250 ground hog rifle that I just built. I am looking for a scope with higher magnification. I am also considering the NF scope, however I do not need all the options the NF scopes have. I really do not need a lighted reticle for ground hog hunting, however I want a scope with superior turrets. I am waiting for the new Sightron's to come out in the SIII series. I have had better luck with tracking in the Sightron scopes over the Leupold's. The NF definitely wil do what what I want, but they are actually a little overkill for what I want(on this rifle). Tom.

It appears that NF pricing (discounts) are limited by the manufacturer as most dealers have almost the same price. You dont see that with Leupold where prices are all over the place. On such a big ticket item, I want the best deal out there.

Last edited:
Good luck on the best deal. All the dealers I checked with were within a few bucks of each other. It came down to who had the scope I wanted. I went with the NP-1. Tough to beat a duplex. Depends on your use. Check the Nightforce website for a detailed description of the reticles and recommended uses.

Back