RELOADER 7

5.56YoteKiller

Has anyone used this with .22 55gr or less bullets?
If so, how did it do?
Did some research and found several loads for the 223. Velocity is in the 2900 fps neighborhood.

My 222 loves it with 40gr Sierras. Its pretty fast and quite accurate. Oh yeah, it meters like water too. The can of 4198 I used to use is now gathering dust.
Brian

RL-7 delivers excellent accuracy in my 222 Rem, with several different 50 grain bullets. IIRC 21.0 grains of it along with Rem 7 1/2 primers and Berger 50 grain bullets shoots as well as any load I've tested.

Reloader 7 has worked well in all of my fireballs, my 222, and my 223. Usually I shoot 40 or 50 grain bullets in these rifles, but I have occasionally experimented with 55 grain bullets. This powder also works well in my .444, 45/70, and 10ML II.

While this powder is usually thought of as a "small caliber/small case capacity" item, I use it for my competition 30BR, pushing 110 grain FB Berger Match bullets at 2980 fps. This load has proven very accurate for me.

And, as mentioned above, it meters very, very well, which surprised me. To look at the stuff, its granule shape/size is very similar to RL22, which meters like peanut butter coated gravel. But RL7, despite its physical appearance, meters like a dream.

FWIW, velocity-wise, this is one of the most consistent powders I've ever fired across a chrono....almost as consistent as XTerminator.

Mike

Don't over look RL 10X I compared RL 7 and RL 10X when I was working up a load for my R15 in .223. Both were good for accuracy with the 10X holding a slight edge. But I got better velocities out of the 10X by a long shot. Just something for you to think about. I'm shooting 55gr hornady SP

Originally Posted By: duckboatMy 222 loves it with 40gr Sierras. Its pretty fast and quite accurate. Oh yeah, it meters like water too. The can of 4198 I used to use is now gathering dust.
Brian

X2.. My 222 pet load is Reloader 7 and a 40 gr Nosler BT

RL-7 works great in my 221 Fireball. Going to try it in my 222 and 223 this summer, when the weather is nicer.

My heavy barrelled .223 Tikka loves RL-7 and 50 grain Sierra's.

The standard barrelled Tikka .223 prefers RL-10X and either Nosler or Hornady 40 grain bullets.

Both shoot as well as I can hold them.

Back